Gamepark Named Newgp32 Xgp ?

Come to think of it the current GP32 is pretty much the best form factor for emulation. The screen size and resolution, the layout of the case that makes it easy to play either portrait or landscape (MAME), the replaceable batteries, the feel of the buttons, the built in stereo speakers, are really very good.

A new GP32 could basically be exactly the same at it is now (and even run the old stuff) with only the following changes:

Add 2 more buttons for SNES, a faster CPU, more RAM, larger memory card capacity, make it black, and that is about it. Leave the rest, it would rule :)

yeah, but you could accive the same thing with a removable li-ion battery...and you would save much space.

i dont want an handheld with 4 batterys, they are too big. I want my handhelt to fit in my pocket, and if they use 4 batterys it would become bigger than the current gp32, and thats too big !

Seraptin posted on Jul 15 2005 at 05:37 PM said:
yeah, but you could accive the same thing with a removable li-ion battery...and you would save much space.

i dont want an handheld with 4 batterys, they are too big. I want my handhelt to fit in my pocket, and if they use 4 batterys it would become bigger than the current gp32, and thats too big !

Not really. There is alot of dead space in there if you look in the case. Adding two more batteries would not add any size if it was done well. That would be better than having the system be unuseable when the batteries are discontinued.

Last edited by a moderator:
A new GP32 could basically be exactly the same at it is now with only the following changes:

Add 2 more buttons for SNES, a faster CPU, more RAM, larger memory card capacity, make it black, and that is about it. Leave the rest, it would rule smile.gif
so basically what would you keep?

meandu229 posted on Jul 15 2005 at 05:44 PM said:
A new GP32 could basically be exactly the same at it is now with only the following changes:

Add 2 more buttons for SNES, a faster CPU, more RAM, larger memory card capacity, make it black, and that is about it. Leave the rest, it would rule smile.gif
so basically what would you keep?

Screen size/ resolution/form factor, case design (no wacky clamshell etc), stereo speakers, Button layout +2, ability to put in glass screens, CPU type (ARM), open source, FW upgradeability and layout.

I think some sort of rechargeable battery that we could easily swap out and would be a common battery so that we could buy a few extras.. would be nice. But not a custom battery that would be very hard to get a hold of...
Or AA's if its practical and the case size would remain similar to the gp32...

If the new system could do the following, would you buy it?

Run all current GP emus, but faster due to the higher CPU speed (so they will all be prety much full speed if they are not now).

Also do Neogeo, Amiga plus the other 16-bit series

Perfect video playback with no need to convert files, just stick your 700mb video file on and it plays, even if its a crazy high resolution @ 30fps.

Support for 4GIG+ memory cards

Support for an open source OS

Had 'enough' buttons.

GP32 style screen

2 * AA

Cheaper than the GP32.

How would that sound?

If you would not buy it, what would be the reason?

Thanks,

Craig

www.gbax.com

Digitalrat posted on Jul 15 2005 at 08:21 PM said:
just stick your 700mb video file on

Does that mean support for usb-sticks?

that will mean stick your file onto the memory card.

That sounds perfect craig - just hope that something along those kind of lines could be released this year. could it be possible?? and in theory of course, are you thinking along the lines of sd or cf?

and are bulkier too - sd is fast becoming the flash card standard anyway with 2gb cards now pretty much readily available from most retailers.

DaveC posted on Jul 15 2005 at 01:27 PM said:
LHC posted on Jul 15 2005 at 05:22 PM said:
The problem is with this new system being more powerful, it will presumably require more power.

AAs are a good choice if they are feasible, but they can be sacrificed if they are only going to offer Gamegear levels of battery life.
So use 3 or 4 AAs instead of two. That will give the extra power needed.
Noooooooooo... Too many batteries=too much weight. If the thing runs good with 2 AA batteries, that's the best option, but it requires more than that for a decent life, go with a Li-ion built-in rechargable.

Back