Gamepark Named Newgp32 Xgp ?

shinneri posted on Jul 15 2005 at 09:12 PM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 15 2005 at 01:27 PM said:
LHC posted on Jul 15 2005 at 05:22 PM said:
The problem is with this new system being more powerful, it will presumably require more power.

AAs are a good choice if they are feasible, but they can be sacrificed if they are only going to offer Gamegear levels of battery life.
So use 3 or 4 AAs instead of two. That will give the extra power needed.
Noooooooooo... Too many batteries=too much weight. If the thing runs good with 2 AA batteries, that's the best option, but it requires more than that for a decent life, go with a Li-ion built-in rechargable.

and what could we do once they are no longer available to buy or if we are on a long journey? Good Alkaline batteries are so cheap now, theres no need for anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
woogal posted on Jul 15 2005 at 09:17 PM said:
If you make sure it's got bluetooth and tcp/ip then I'll be as happy as a pig in shit :).

bluetooth will be unlikley as they are keeping the cost low - maybe there may be the possibility to add it later on.

Reesy posted on Jul 15 2005 at 09:25 PM said:
gp32_console :rolleyes:

this is just what you need reesy to maybe add mega cd and 32x support. hint hint ;)

craigix posted on Jul 15 2005 at 06:54 PM said:
If the new system could do the following, would you buy it?

Run all current GP emus, but faster due to the higher CPU speed (so they will all be prety much full speed if they are not now).

Also do Neogeo, Amiga plus the other 16-bit series

Perfect video playback with no need to convert files, just stick your 700mb video file on and it plays, even if its a crazy high resolution @ 30fps.

Support for 4GIG+ memory cards

Support for an open source OS

Had 'enough' buttons.

GP32 style screen

2 * AA

Cheaper than the GP32.

How would that sound?

If you would not buy it, what would be the reason?

Thanks,

Craig

www.gbax.com

Sounds perfect, except for the "crazy high resolution" bit. That would mean that emulated games would either be very small or stretched, stretching looks bad. What we have now is perfect pretty much. Look at DrMD full screen at 1:1 no stretching, Since NeoGeo is the same resolution MMMmm nice.

Movies should not be a big feature on this thing. If it does them fine but it shouldn't be tailored for or give up other things for them. There are TONS of media players now days, games should be the primary focus.

Yes I would even pay MORE than the GP32 if it did what you said. Especially with the BC part. The old emus would just act as if they were running on a GP32 that overclocked to 300 MHz :)

DaveC posted on Jul 15 2005 at 08:30 PM said:
Sounds perfect, except for the "crazy high resolution" bit.

Craig means that you don't have to re-encode your movies to fit the new system screen size. We do this on the GP32 to get the maximum peformance, on the new system you won't need to bother. Just take a movie as you download it off the net, and then watch it on your new toy.

i totally agree with dave - i never have and never will play a movie on it unless i had masses of spare space on my card.

Screen resoloution is the most important individual factor on the new gp32 and apart from the fact that it is portable is the main core difference between playing on a PC.

A native resolution is the most important issue of all and without it may put many coders off programming for it as that would be the main USP over say a PSP or an NDS for them.

if flash drives are able to be used then, holy crap i'd be in heaven. I got so many of those laying around.

even if the body style was the same with the same screen, same d-pad, same start and select, put 2 more buttons above or below the a and b buttons and keep the shoulder buttons, and different media than SMC, then i would be very happy.

Run all current GP emus, but faster due to the higher CPU speed (so they will all be prety much full speed if they are not now).

Perfect video playback with no need to convert files, just stick your 700mb video file on and it plays, even if its a crazy high resolution @ 30fps.

Had 'enough' buttons.

GP32 style screen

2 * AA

Cheaper than the GP32.

How would that sound?

Thanks,

Craig

www.gbax.com

Sure I'dbuy it at once :)
it sounds so perfect!!!

HELL YES, I'd buy that! By the way... just so that I understand this completely, the video player will suport ALL video file formats? because if not, you'll still have to encode it before you can put it on the new system. If this system is going to be anywhere near as good as that, count me in.

Sure...

but first I need a job... :rolleyes:

and it´s realy good to hear about it. Cause I was thinking about buying a GP32, cause I dunno have one (I came here first cause Im bulletin Board addicted) and now I will wait untill its release! :)

cheers

Could battery recharging circuitry be built in, So that it can recharge the standard AA batteries, While you were playing it for instance, Ala pocket pc`s and laptops etc, For times when it`s not possible to purchase fresh batteries. Oh, And some kind of reverse polarity protection, For when silly people do dumb things without thinking, Like connecting their GP2`s power adaptor the wrong way :rolleyes:

Louder sound would be a great improvement too, As the current sound level on the GP is a little weak, But still good. Would it also be possible to support say 8 channel sound (maybe more) instead of the current 4, No real reason for this, Other than remembering the Amiga day`s (Apart from the ST) most other systems supported alot more channels than the Amiga, Although the quality was far superiour on the Amiga and amazing what could be squeezed from so few channels (This view is from a music tracker point of view((fingers crossed)).

Trooper

craigix posted on Jul 15 2005 at 08:54 PM said:

Had 'enough' buttons.

GP32 style screen

2 * AA

Cheaper than the GP32.

How would that sound?

Thanks,

Craig

www.gbax.com
*bought*

Had 'enough' buttons.

GP32 style screen

2 * AA

Cheaper than the GP32.

How would that sound?

Thanks,

Craig

www.gbax.com

If it was backlit, probably yes (although I'd wait and see what the other part of Gamepark comes up with, just in case)... a bonus would be if it had a D-stick that didn't skip over the diagonals and wasn't wobbly. Also, I'd been hoping that the next generation of GP32 would be able to emulate the GBA, PSX and x86, not just the 16-bit systems... although even just those would be very nice.

And I'll add my vote: 2AAs are much prefferable to an in-built battery, as long as the battery life is above 4 hours most of the time.

This is very good news. :)

Esn posted on Jul 15 2005 at 11:54 PM said:
If it was backlit, probably yes (although I'd wait and see what the other part of Gamepark comes up with, just in case)... a bonus would be if it had a D-stick that didn't skip over the diagonals and wasn't wobbly. Also, I'd been hoping that the next generation of GP32 would be able to emulate the GBA, PSX and x86, not just the 16-bit systems... although even just those would be very nice.

And I'll add my vote: 2AAs are much prefferable to an in-built battery, as long as the battery life is above 4 hours most of the time.

This is very good news. :)

IIRC, there is a pretty promising GBA Emulator already out on the GP32. By enf65

of course i will buy it, but only if it is a BLU(+) screen, because i have a NLU.....and it pisses me off.
Craig, do you think GBA emulation will be possible ? You are speaking of BW capability, does it mean that the new console will have a ARM cpu , then, apart the 400 MHz one (like the ninja), what can it be ? (i hope it is not under 400 MHZ, if it is highter, then .....)

I would like to able to use it in outside areas, cause it is impossible with the gp32.

Back