Games For Dosbox - What Games Do You Want?

hmm i dont know if the black screen problem is caused by the firmware - i am running the latest official one... pls try that one :)

funtasticguy posted on Apr 1 2006 at 06:49 PM said:
For remapping the keys and more information of DOSBOX for the GP2X, please go here:

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/DosBox
DAMN!, I was busy quite some time figuring out keymapping lol.

@Damien, its not hard just check the supplied game dynablaster to see how to do it.

hint ;): - point the autoexec lines in dosbox.conf to your game instead of dynablaster.
- edit the DIRGAME parameter in run.gpe
- make keymapping changes if necessary, see: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/DosBox

Last edited by a moderator:
@ DReffects:

thanks for your hard work on dosbox !

my last attemps at running the previous version with old sierra ags games was scary (no sound and too slow whatever the frameskip) :huh:

Since dosbox seems to be more comfortable with old EGA and old VGA games, did you try to run old sierra and lucasart adventure games like leisure suit larry III, King quest V or monkey island ?

since these games have limited animation and can run with some frameskipping maybe they could be playable.

"the monkey are listening"

I'm surprised I didn't see any suggestions for Oregon Trail. o.o

Also, I'm guessing the DOS version of C&C: Red Alert would be too taxing? Or do you think it's possible?

i stand in sheer amazement and hold my breath in awe on you guys - after i've posted about ten times that only extreemly old software will run and sprite emulation ist terribly slow someone in fact asks if C&C: red alert ist possible ;)

well, its not.

@baalim: thx :) i unfortuneately dont have any of those games at hand but isnt there an emulator for those games already?

-arcanoid
-armada2525
-commanderkeen4
-dangerousdave
-dukenukem1
-overkill
-xenon2

this is as faar as games will get - more power simply isnt in the gp2x at this point. i'll release those games within the next days after i cleaned up my place (takes some time^^) :)

dreffects, could you please answer my question?

quote of post:
"WTF, I have mapped Y to f1, I can enter a table with f1, but then when I have to press f1 to select 1 player suddenly the key doesnt work... :S

Weird thing is, I can exit the game pressing escape the y, but pressing enter or f1 to start a game does not work.

Another weird thing is that the table doesnt scroll up and down like it does in dosbox on my pc. (thought the lights flash and the scrolling ticker seems to work)"

could you try pinball dreams? pleeeeease!

richufc posted on Mar 19 2006 at 08:20 PM said:
Hows about Sensible Soccer...or maybe even Sensible World of Soccer. That would seriously kick arse! :lol:

sensible soccer is available for the sega and runs great with DrMD.

@ DReffects:

yes, all old lucasart and lucasfilm adventure games work with scummVm but old Sierra AGS games aren't emulated.

i was quoting these games as exemples of old EGA/VGA games with limited animation because i thought they could run with dosbox on gp2x but some EGA or CGA games like barbarian, knightshift, bubble bobble or captain blood can be good benchmarks.

now that i have a little more time, i will try to get some of my old dos games to work ;)

One game I used to like playing, was "Arcade Fruit Machine". It only ran on DOS, and was small enough to run on a single density floppy disk (that dates me!) or hard-drive - (game is about 300k). A small game, but the best fruit machine simulator I have ever played. I archived the game, as I can't play it anymore. Would like to though.

I couldn't get DOSbox (on the PC) to work properly, couldn't work it out. Presumably your emulator is the same. Any chance of full instructions on how to run and load a game using your emulator, where the game files go, etc? This might even work on your system already for all I know. The game needs you to remap the keys though, uses keys "K", "I", "Z", "X", "C", "enter", "CTRL" as I recall off the top of my head (may not be right, but if the GP2x keys can be programmed to match keypresses, there are no issues anyway).

aapje89 - I think you can play Pinball Dreams fine on DrMD (Megadrive/Genesis), in the same way as you can play Psycho Pinball (a DOS game, which plays great on the Megadrive, ie also via DrMD). The DOS version has better sounds, but the Megadrive version is fine.

bacteria posted on Apr 11 2006 at 09:24 AM said:
aapje89 - I think you can play Pinball Dreams fine on DrMD (Megadrive/Genesis), in the same way as you can play Psycho Pinball (a DOS game, which plays great on the Megadrive, ie also via DrMD). The DOS version has better sounds, but the Megadrive version is fine.
damn, im sorry, I was so excited I said pinball dreams, but I meant pinball Fantasies :).

aapje89 posted on Apr 7 2006 at 08:10 AM said:
dreffects at could you please answer my question?
hm ok :) i think you've forgotten to undo my default mapping for 'exit dosbox' which is on y with the dynablaster release. check the upper part of mapper.txt

baalim posted on Apr 7 2006 at 06:46 PM said:
@ DReffects:

yes, all old lucasart and lucasfilm adventure games work with scummVm but old Sierra AGS games aren't emulated.

i was quoting these games as exemples of old EGA/VGA games with limited animation because i thought they could run with dosbox on gp2x but some EGA or CGA games like barbarian, knightshift, bubble bobble or captain blood can be good benchmarks.

now that i have a little more time, i will try to get some of my old dos games to work ;)

hm :) are those games available as abandonware somewhere so i could give it a try? if theres not much animation it might work

btw: when will this board be officially be back?

Azure posted on Apr 13 2006 at 06:53 AM said:
So, the odds of this thing running One Must Fall 2097 at full speed (~FS2 at least) are slim?
check the vid ive uploaded on one of the previous sites and you get the impression ;)

I wonder why people keep requesting SVGA or simply hires games, Scorched Earth or even (hope it was only a joke) Heroes of Might & Magic...

By the way, there was a nice DOS game in the Scorches style and it worked in 320x200. This may be a good substitute for Scorches' fans.

Back