Gamescom 2017

TeDaDeS

Hardcore Member
Website
Visit site
Hi guys,

As the Gamescom in Köln (Germany) starts today I'll post some photos here when I'm back.
If you are also there (well ED will be there for sure) the Pandora/Pyra will be in the retro section (I think this is hall 10 the top floor, usually red colored section). You can find the map here: http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/red...nloads_21/pdf_26/fuer_alle_2/Hallenplan-2.pdf

At the Gamescom there will be the usual presentation of recent and soon-to-be released games and hardware.
This year there will also be a meet and great with Yu Suzuki, who people might know from the game Shenmue (a Dreamcast game which might also run on a Pyra). For people that would like to shake a hand you can see him on Wednesday (18:30-19:30) and Thursday (12:30/13:30) in hall 9.1 B011.

Photos!
compare.jpg notsobusy.jpg pyra_compare.jpg pyrascreen.jpg

There was a half Pyra with the new keyboard inside and it felt like a real improvement. The other felt better then the Pandora's keyboard but the latest one has a more real keyboard feel which was nice.
I also added a screen close-up of the screen so you can see how detailed it is as I noticed I could not read the text when further away (like standing on a table next to you). You can increase the font size so it looks like the Pandora one.

Also added a comparison to the GPD-Pocket. That one was okay, the casing is metal and it feels like a sturdy material. The device was locked so I didn't play any games on it.
You could order that device here: https://www.dragonbox.de/en/606-gpd-pocket-mini-netbook-gpd-win-gpd-pocket-4260416652200.html

I was in early so usually you do not see the halls this empty so added a pic of the not very busy hall. Two years ago I posted a pic of the same hall but it was super crowded.

Last edited:
There was a half Pyra with the new keyboard inside and it felt like a real improvement.
that! looks the same, but sooo much difference!

i wish i had taken any pictures, but i didn't (took three pics overall: one of the parking lot, and two of indie game booths that had no flyers left) :( too busy looking at stuff, pushing buttons on random handhelds and controllers, and talking to the guys at the dragonbox booth (i didn't ask for names or forum handles though T_T) :3
some things i noticed:
- the pyra looks awesome with a black case! like, the cinematic "would do dramatic closeup shots" kind of awesome :D
- tried to thumb type on the gpd pocket. not a good idea unless you have very long thumbs. after some awkward typing, my roommate started civ 5 on it which was running surprisingly smooth (startup was super fast, too).
- the live band at the next booth was loud af, but cool.
- the revo k101 has the biggest dpad ever. couldn't slide my thumb across it like i do on the pandora/3ds/gcw zero :( but it isn't sticky or bottoms out, so yay for that :3
- my roommate tried the gpd xd and now thinks about buying one :) i guess he's finally sick of those awkward touch controls mobile games/emulators have :>

I've had the chance to play around with a GPD Pocket a few weeks back. If it weren't for the pyra, I'd instantly buy one. The build quality is very good, it looks great and the hardware is also more than adequate for the size. I think it's just as fast as my main Laptop at least according to the specs.

Only it is a little bit too big for using it without putting it down on a surface and a bit too wide for thumb typing. The Keyboard feel is quite nice actually but I think it is just not big enough for 10 finger typing. My EeePC from a few years back was better in that regard, I managed to type on that one more or less normal. Maybe I could get used to the GPD Pocket as well but I did not have enough time with it. The Trackpoint on the other hand is done well. But again, one has to put the device down on a surface to be able to use it effectively.

So for real handheld use one has to wait for the Pyra. I was not here for the Keyboard Wars but what came out if it makes it a winner in handheld computing in my opinion. If you want an awesome pocket size PC go for the GPD Pocket and just use the Pyra for Gaming :)

Wow, they managed to put all the ports on the worst possible position they could think of.

Well, it's not too bad, but concerning the air outlet I have to agree. It is hardly possible to hold the device (like a Handheld) without covering the outlet which again leads to increasing heat.
If it just were a matter of design they should have put USB-C on the other side (so you can connect a hub without covering any of the other connectors) and the air outlet on the front side. But I'm pretty sure they didn't have these options, especially regarding the architecture of the cooling system.
I love my pocket either way, the best mobile keyboard I can think of and the screen is reallly large compared to the Win, the Pandora or even the Pyra. Too bad it doesn't have a microsd slot natively, so a hub is a must have sooner or later (or are there any really tiny usb-sticks?)

thanks to all the in-theatre-field-reporters! looks all awesome!
really like the new game where one has to go to toilet when eating too much!! :)
the huuuge controller is awesome too!
the larger stuff gets, the smaller one feels in perspective, so yay for being supertiny, again. ;-)

I was thinking about this GPD, but I found that for productivity applications there must be a thumb-typing possibility. Many manufacturers definitely underestimate this method. OK, it doesn't look nice in ads (I remember seeing someone NOT thumb-typing on a 200LX in some old ad, it was a pain to look at it), but it's the most efficient method of typing on so small keyboards.
I can use Compose key in complex combinations. I can reach for modifier keys if they are reachable. But if it is needed to seat a machine on a surface to type on it, it's for productivity applications as an average netbook.

I was thinking about this GPD, but I found that for productivity applications there must be a thumb-typing possibility. Many manufacturers definitely underestimate this method. OK, it doesn't look nice in ads (I remember seeing someone NOT thumb-typing on a 200LX in some old ad, it was a pain to look at it), but it's the most efficient method of typing on so small keyboards.
I can use Compose key in complex combinations. I can reach for modifier keys if they are reachable. But if it is needed to seat a machine on a surface to type on it, it's for productivity applications as an average netbook.

You can thumb type on the GPD pocket, but it certainly isn't the most efficient method of typing on small keyboards. It depends on the device, keyboard and size and how you use it (standing or sitting down). On my N900 I like to thumbtype because the phone is very light and the keyboard very small and it is usually used while standing. I can reach the full keyboard with one hand. I think only when a device is about as small as the N900 the thumbtyping method clearly 'wins'.
The GPD Pocket is a lot larger and also quite heavy due to the aluminium chassis. They have a shift/ctrl and alt key on the left and right and with your thumb you should be able to reach all keys on half of the keyboard. So possible: yes, but is it comfortable due to weight and the need to stretch your thumbs: no.

I can type a lot faster on my GPD pocket touchtyping than on my N900 thumbtyping so I surely don't think thumbtyping is per se more productive. On my Pandora I also type faster using the touchtyping method than thumbtyping. Unfortunately the Pandora doesn't have a bump on the J and F. That would have made it better for touchtyping. Hopefully the Pyra will have these.

Back