Gametrac

FarSight

Still Fresh
I recently posted this topic over at, Zodiac gamer, Take a look at it and give some opinions.

As far as i can tell the Gametrac is going to be the best bet for portable emulation in the near future more powerful than all its rivals it's media, MMC/SD makes home brew's and ports a serious possibility.
But most importantly its 400Mhz ARM9 prossesor and 64bit GFX engine would open up the possibility for full speed with sound emulation of, SNES, Genisis Sega CD, even GBA and Neogeo could be possible. The price tag is even apealing Tiger tec. are hoping to launch the Gametrac at under $200 within the next few months.

Spec. in Breif:

ARM9 400Mhz prossesor, 2.8 QVGA TFT, Bluetooth, and a 64bit GFX engine. Theres even a built in digital camara.

If your intrested take a look at the link below. Its a full PDF document from there website.

GameTrac PDF

GamTrac Website

Yeah, there was a small article about in Edge a month or two back. It sounds promising but it'll be interesting to see if they can deliver everything they've promised at that price-tag - if they can it'll be quite a coup. You also have to wonder exactly how far they are from a finished product as the pictures of it on the website look pretty much like pre-rendered impressions.

there are quite a few threads on this, hunt them down, they make good reading. I love the specs on it, but the tiny screen is a bit of a putoff, so are the pushed adverts (but I guess they are what will keep the price down), and will the SDK be free? if not, you won't see much freeware on it.

Tiger Telimatiics &
Tiger Electronics (Hasbro) (game.com)

are not the same companies Tiger Telimatiics make GPRS equipment, tiger electronics which is owned by Hasbro. Make games one of Which was the game.com, I've got one somewhere. <_<

Bottom line there two completley differiant companies :lol:

Mmmm.. my favorite subject :)
Crappy/dead on arrival/future handhelds..

Here's what I own so far :
http://www.pelikonepeijoonit.net/cgi-bin/p...tegory=handheld

Yes, plenty of Game.coms, but believe it or not, even it isn't the crappiest handheld system out there (not counting the millions and millions of LCD thingies that actually have the games built in).

And yeah, the Tiger making Gametrac is definitely not the same Tiger who made Game.com.

Manu
pelikonepeijoonit.net

The thing to remember with this is that even when it does get released, it will be some considerable time before emulators get really good on the machine (or even straight games). Going on GP32 experience, the handheld has been out since 2001/2002 and only now is getting some decent emulators (like os9xgp). The point is development time will be an issue.

Provided it had a good enough home brew community, and it was released tomorrow, I reckon it would be at least a year before it would be any good. By then of course PSP and all the other next gen stuff will be out. So, to sum up, this will be at best the "Dreamcast" of the next gen handhelds. Failing that maybe the "3DO"(??)

PSP has been put back to Q1 2005, so that gives any machine launching very soon a chance (though not much of one!)

1) Why are people so hyped about the PSP? The think will launch with 10 or so games that can be found on PSX for like £5 but charging £30-£40 for it. Also £250 are they of their f^cking rocker apart from a silly few nobody will pay that for it.

I also smell another N-Gage with it promises loads delivers nothing. After all we have yet to see a design or any footage from any games.

Gametrac was due to launch in 2001 yes 2001 i remember doing a report on it for a website at the time. Its now 2004 and theirs little change the chances of seeing it < 10%

It's more like a Ps2, especially as it now has 32MB of ram. What, you don't want to play PS2 quality games on the move? Right...£250 is too much, apart from the fact every console launches at that sort of price. 10 or so games? don't most machines launch with that number of titles? And seeing as loads of companies are already developing for it...

For some reason, I was very negative towards PSP. Well, still I believe it won't have half the stuff Sony hypes it to have, but... what got me thinking..

Gran Tourismo in my pocket..
Metal Gear Solid in my pocket..
Soul Calibur in my pocket..
Frequency, Ico, and many more possibilities..

(No, none of the above is confirmed for PSP, but I know at least WipeOut is coming)

meh you could probably get good PSX emulation on the gametrac with that 400mhz and 64bits, and you wouldnt have to re-buy your old games for 3x the price. Screens not THAT small, it's bigger than the GBA's. .7" smaller than the big screen GP32 though. I just hope that they change the design, it's too kiddy for me

I'm starting to get the impression that Sony's going to try and market the PSP as a portable PS2, Think about it They're talking about developing games in tandem so you can down load saves to the PSP and the fact that it's specs make it pretty darn powerful, sure the games wont look as good but if they can some how make each game half price because of the simultaneous development we could possibly see PSP game prices as low as 20 bucks.

Of course they'd need original games too, by the end for 2005 they;re going to have to start talking PS3 and doing it loudly to grab attention from the xbx2 and what ever Nintendo has brewing besides the DS.

If i want a PS2 i will buy one (well i have)

I hope to hell this thing falls flat on its ass, Sony need to be taught you can't release any old crap and hope it sells.

The Mole posted on Feb 26 2004 at 09:58 PM said:
thats just like saying "i dont want a gp32......i own a snes, c64, atari, genesis etc etc etc etc"

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mole posted on Feb 26 2004 at 09:58 PM said:

I hope to hell this thing falls flat on its ass, Sony need to be taught you can't release any old crap and hope it sells.
The trouble is, They do and it does. :rolleyes:

Trooper

This topic has been posted so many times I won't even bother to disregard the topic itself anymore. The gametrac is nothing because of the critically flawed design choice of making the screen as small as an ordinary stamp.

pip posted on Feb 27 2004 at 06:19 AM said:
This topic has been posted so many times I won't even bother to disregard the topic itself anymore. The gametrac is nothing because of the critically flawed design choice of making the screen as small as an ordinary stamp.
? It's not even that small, it's 2.8 inches. GBA is 2.9 inches, and the N-Gage is... well I cant find it's screen size but I know it's smaller than this

I just compared my GBA screen to my GP and man that thing is tiny. I'd think people would prefer a larger screen, especially for the more advanced games should it ever get emulators or even original games.

Back