Gametrac

Crappy games arnt the sole domain of any one company, The NES and SNES had an avalanche of piss poor products at their peak of popularity and thats because once the systems become the top dog most developers think that all they have to do is create something and put it out to make a few million dollars. You can't blame sony for it anymore than you could blame nintendo for it back in the day. It just sounds to me like you letting your dislike for sony and their occasionally poor manufactoring process blind you to the fact that they have become a rather intelligent game company. The may not have a Miyamoto but they do have a few strong dev teams now like Incog and 989 as opposed to back when they only had a few exclusive namco titles and NO first party dev teams.

I think the problem with games today is companies having trouble trying to figure out what people want, instead of figuring it out they take one of two routes: Either give people what they liked before in a different package (...sequels) or forcibly tell consumers what they think you SHOULD want and CALL it an inovation(xbox Live? no thanks.) when they try too hard to make you like something it smacks of desparation and can turn people off.

The Virtual boy was anice attempt though at innovating, but it failed due to a poor final implemetation (A RED binocular 3d display, oh yeah that's good for the eyes :rolleyes: ) I actually read nintendo was looking into a 3 dimentional holgram displays but didnt find the current technolgy suitable for their needs yet. Maybe someday someone will use it in a truely innovative way.

The first party developers that Sony has are a far cry from Nintendo and Micro$oft.

I don't think that its a valid excuse that Sony has only a few exclusive developers thats why a lot of the exclusive content is pants. What worked for the PS1 was the fact their was blood in games and games in general were more violent. This has spawned crap like The Getaway.

Sony are losing their grip if you look at all the games that were PS1 exclusive that sold well

Tekken
Soul Blade
Crash
Spyro
DDR
GTA
MGS
Final Fantasy

Were all the big sellers i can think of, now every single one of them is on another format. The people that own the PS2 are sheep ( i have said i own one also). They can't judge for themself what they will like and need Sony to say wow look at this it has blood and a hooker in it, it must be cool.

I guess i am overprotective due to the fact i grew up with Nintendo and Sega, however i do think my points are valid.

Sony is out to fleese the public for every penny by producing shoddy products and making them look cool to the under 16s who can't make their own mind up.

I would rather have somebody laugh at me for useing a GP32 over a GBA or Gamecube over a PS2 and get a better gaming experence.

I think the next step in handheld gaming will come with the proliferation of wireless nodes in coffee shops and outdoor environments. This way gaming reaches its next level. Trouble is this is 5-10 years from now (for commercial viability and user acceptance), so I guess as many polygons as you can shake a stick at is probably the way its going to go for now.

lizard808uk posted on Mar 1 2004 at 11:28 AM said:
I think the next step in handheld gaming will come with the proliferation of wireless nodes in coffee shops and outdoor environments. This way gaming reaches its next level. Trouble is this is 5-10 years from now (for commercial viability and user acceptance), so I guess as many polygons as you can shake a stick at is probably the way its going to go for now.
Totally agree 100%

When handheld users can gather around wireless access points and play against gamers gathered around other wireless access points, I will die a happy man. Or perhaps when cellphone networks take the stupid charges off the data service, we can all be connected on the move. This is the next true innovation. You can put pretty much every type of game on a handheld,( 2 screens or not ), except for Online games. There is a big hole in the market for this, but it's going to take a big change somewhere before it's ready to hit the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back