Gba

pcklee123 posted on Oct 15 2006 at 05:18 PM said:
The only thing sI changed in the recent updates was
1) to use the upper 32MB for the rom and use the MMU hack which were posted on the wiki. So now a rom >16MB may work. I don't know cause I didn't try. So I don't think there is any speed change unless its because a)I had to reinstall a new toolchain and libraries(ooPo) or b)just because there is more memory left for the rest of linux c) I may have forgotten to turn of profiling and dev features in the previous release

2) remove selector etc cause now I use Gmenu2x. The builtin selector in gmenu2x lets you overclock vba2x very easily.

3)compressed with gpecomp so it takes less space

BTW I am using andlinux for compiling vba2x and I need to have around 768MB of ram for it to compile successfully otherwise gp2x-gcc or g++ crashes at GBA.cpp. Even if it doesn't crash, it takes an hour to compile.

reiboul posted on Oct 15 2006 at 05:48 PM said:
BTW, I think we don't have news about Vba2x' programmer! Is he on this forum?

He's behind you! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
In the last update you uploaded I notice a little speed increase. (I also noticed that you fixed the diagonals that weren't working before)
I'm going to try some turn based rpg like ff tactics, they could be probably playable even if slow.
I use frameskip 5 btw.

Special characters in the rom filename still don't work.
I use this code to backslash them, feel free to use it.
Code:
string strreplace (string orig, string search, string replace) {
	string::size_type pos = orig.find( search, 0 );
	while (pos != string::npos) {
		orig.replace(pos,search.length(),replace);
		pos = orig.find( search, pos+replace.length() );
	}
	return orig;
}

string cmdclean (string cmdline) {
	string spchars = "\\`$();|{}&'\"*?<>[]!^~-#\n\r ";
	for (uint i=0; i<spchars.length(); i++) {
		string curchar = spchars.substr(i,1);
		cmdline = strreplace(cmdline, curchar, "\\"+curchar);
	}
	return cmdline;
}

Paradox posted on Oct 16 2006 at 03:10 AM said:
what happened to that guy who was making a GBA emu from scratch? it was called Illex Boy Advance i think...

http://illexboyadvance.sourceforge.net/

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...9922&st=140 from last posts looks like progress is good... when its done it will be faster than a port anyway

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=32294
Gary Miller - I think he will be able to get vba working at full speed. He certainly sounds like he knows how to do it.

bacteria posted on Oct 16 2006 at 12:13 AM said:
Which games play at good (high) framerates and are fully playable at the moment?

ive got klonoa running at 90%
casltlevania aria of sorrow at 80%
metalgun slinger at ~80%
and im about to try a couple more.
i expect super robot taisen to be a good choice, as there is much waiting anyway,
and ill try metroid and advancewars as well

pcklee you are awesome to make this emu go from unplayable to highly playabel .
you rock.

by the way, when you use roms, i would reccomend renaming them without any spaces or other characters.

To be honest i cant understand this 'playable without sound' mentality. To me, thats a contradiction in terms. As a gamer i would not play through a game with no sound and term it as being playable. Not unless i was warped back to the old ZX81 days.

I would describe that it 'works without sound' personally.

Sorry for being picky but i see this term being banded about a lot on these forums.

Hiya,

This is really great news :D

Just downloaded the emu and tried to play a few games but everytime the application loads all I get is a black screen.

I'm using menu2x, clocking it at various speeds. Also tried without menu2x.
Tried putting the games in roms/gba, [emu dir]/roms and in the root directory of the emu and the main root but still the same effect.

Also what would the param line be in the config for menu2x, as not figured that out despite searching for a explanation on the boards.

Am I missing something? If so would a kind soul help me out? :)

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Well, to me "playable without sound" has a lot of sense. I play a lot of games without sound even if I could turn it on.
Anyway this emu didn't reach 80% of speed with any of the games I tested, I'll try one of those.

C16 posted on Oct 16 2006 at 03:43 PM said:
Just downloaded the emu and tried to play a few games but everytime the application loads all I get is a black screen.
[...]
Also what would the param line be in the config for menu2x, as not figured that out despite searching for a explanation on the boards.
You can leave params empty. Just be sure to rename the roms to a name that doesn't include spaces or other special characters, 'cause the emu has some problems with them.

There is no reason why it couldn't. There are GBA emulators for the Pocket PC which are no more powerful than the GP2X.

Orkie posted on Oct 16 2006 at 05:14 PM said:
There is no reason why it couldn't. There are GBA emulators for the Pocket PC which are no more powerful than the GP2X.

There are various ppc models. Some are 600+ mhz.

Thanks for the help getting this emulator up and running :D

The results were better than I expected, but its still too slow to be playable. Its certainly getting there and thanks so much for continuing the work on it.

These results are based on my GP2X running at 265Mhz, all measurements are taken in game. Whilst in the game menu's I was getting 80% on quite a few of the games but that isnt a true measure of the performance.

Army Men 27%
Castlevania circle of the moon 21%
Chu Chu Rocket 38%
F-Zero 12%
Hot Potato 31%
Iridion 3D 20%
Konami krazy racers 23%
Pitfall 28%
Super dodgeball 18%
Tony hawks pro scater 2 25%
Zelda 36%

Regards,

Chris

gunstar super heroes - ~70%
advance wars - ~80% (very playable)
drilldozer - 50% (barely playable)
harmony of dissonisance (whatever) - 90% with minor graphical errors
river city ransom ex - 80 %
my super robot wars is broken or something.
as well as my fire red.

Oh damnit!!! Why on earth is this release coming just right after I left my home for ten months and I cant upload any roms to my gp2x? Its a cruel cruel world. Kudos on the emulator, man. Looks really promising. I am looking forward to coming home in ten months and having this baby run fullspeed ;-)

Back