Gemrb : How to install BG and co, my guide.

Superb guide!

Baldur's Gate runs OK, but Torment, after the character configuration screen, gives only a blue screen where tha action should be (the lower part has the character, inventory and other stuff)

Anybody had the same issue? I'm using the D&D Anthology version

If you want to play Torment and have the D&D Anthology version:

1) Install to your PC

2) Copy the contents of your installed directory to sd/pandora/appdata/gemrb/pst EXCEPT the "data" folder

3) Copy the contents of the "data" folder to sd/pandora/appdata/gemrb/pst (not sd/pandora/appdata/gemrb/pst/data, they have to be in the "root" directory)

Otherwise you'll get a blue background when the game starts.

Hi all,

haviing problems with this still -

I instal GemRB from the repo but when i run it on my panny it does not create a folder in appdata?

it just closes the window for choosing which game to run and goes back to desktop.

If i create the correct folders in appdata and follow the instructions it doeas just the same !

Any ideas please.

Thank you.

PZ

WORKING NOW!!!!!!!

dont know wh

what changed there?

having the same problem here except it has not magically started to work yet :(

found the log file turns out some things did not install proper on the pc

working now :) this is so awesome!

If your desktop is a Linux box and you're using the GOG installers, you can save time by using innoextract to unpack the installers more quickly so you only need Wine for the patching.

Here's how you'd do it for Baldur's Gate:

Code:
innoextract -p -L -e setup_baldurs_gate.exe

rm -rf tmp

mv app bg1

The "tmp" folder contains install-time junk you don't need like the Foxit Reader installer and that license agreement every GOG installer makes you agree to.

NOTE: The -L is essential. For some insane reason, the GOG installers contain multiple copies of some of the data files with slightly different capitalization. Under Windows, the proper copies overwrite the broken ones while installing. On Linux, if you don't use -L, both copies get preserved and then GemRB prefers the broken ones.

For example, preferring "chitin.key" over "Chitin.key", which causes GemRB 0.7.2 to segfault.

Also, the initial post didn't mention these issues, so I thought I'd bring them up:

First, the GOG version of Planescape Torment doesn't doesn't "work like the others". It has the same issue as the Anthology version. You need to copy the contents of "pst/data" folder into "pst" or you'll get "only a blue screen where tha action should be".

Probably also a good idea to edit pst.cfg and change the window title from "IceWind Dale".

(Also, you can apply the widescreen patch to it but, if you patch it in GemRB mode, Ghostdog's PST UI mod won't apply so you'll have a UI gap like the one in BG1. He has no plans to correct that problem but welcomes any effort by the GemRB guys extend his mod.)

Second, the GOG version of Icewind Dale puts the contents of CD2 and CD3 in subfolders but iwd.cfg doesn't match. It will start despite that, so it's possible that's the cause of your problems with the characters not appearing, but I didn't think to actually create a party before doing "cd iwd; mv cd2/data/* data/; mv cd3/data/* data/" to fix the huge flood of error messages in the GemRB log.

Probably also a good idea to change the GameType in iwd.cfg from iwd to how since the GOG copy does include Heart of Winter.

I think the widescreen mod is supposed to apply to it, but I haven't tried it yet.

this is so awesome will it work on a old unit? I do not have a 1ghz yet :(

Seems to work fine on my Rebirth Edition unit. (600Mhz, 512MiB RAM)

In the latest version I copy the config files into pandora/appdata, so the paths can be modified. 

I just bought IWD and PST from GOG in the current sale so can try these now:)

To get GOG Panescape working I did:

i) Create pandora/appdata/gemrb/pst

ii) Copy contents of entire folder from PC (from gog) into this folder.

iii) Edit appdata/gemrb/pst.cfg and make CD1=./pst/data

To get IWD working I did:

i) Create pandora/appdata/gemrb/iwd

ii) Copy contents of entire folder from PC (from gog) into this folder

iii) Move CD2/Data contents into Data (alternatively modify the iwd.cfg instead to point CD2=./iwd/CD2/Data)

iv) Move CD3/Data contents into Data (alternatively modify the iwd.cfg instead to point CD3=./iwd/CD3/Data)

v) Edit appdata/gemrb/iwd.cfg and set GameType=how (without this characters are invisible)

Really I think it would be simpler to patch the gemrb binary to just search for anything under the iwd or pst directory as appropriate. I doubt there are duplicate filenames...  Might have a try at that.

When there are problems there is often useful into in iwd/GemRB.log (or equivalent). It tells you about missing files etc.

Is it safe to delete the TWM_GUI folder (200+MB) from the SD card once the widescreen settings have been applied? I'm guessing yes but better safe than sorry :)

How does Planescape Torment run on a 1st batch pandora (up to 800 MHz oc)? I have seen some videos showing it with a lot of sound stuttering.

I'm considering purchasing GoG version, but only it I know I'll be able to play it in my Pandora.

How does Planescape Torment run on a 1st batch pandora (up to 800 MHz oc)? I have seen some videos showing it with a lot of sound stuttering.

I'm considering purchasing GoG version, but only it I know I'll be able to play it in my Pandora.
Worst possible time to ask. Normally, I'd boot up my Rebirth Edition Pandora and check it right now but I'm currently part-way through backing up the SD card I run my OS from so I can reinstall to unbreak the keyboard config.

If nobody else responds, I'll try to get back to you in a few days. (Life's so busy, I'm struggling to find time to fix it)

Finally I downloaded a copy of the 4CD version, installed it, and it's working perfect with my 1st batch Pandora @600MHz (at least the beginning of the game). There's no stuttering, like in the youtube video I watched, and runs pretty smooth.

Great work!!!

Finally I downloaded a copy of the 4CD version, installed it, and it's working perfect with my 1st batch Pandora @600MHz (at least the beginning of the game). There's no stuttering, like in the youtube video I watched, and runs pretty smooth.

Great work!!!
Which video and how was it recorded?

I can't believe that I'm actually playing Baldur's Gate on such a tiny, portable device!  Amazing....and great tutorial,  @BAFelton...many thanks!  My experience with my 1GB Pandora has been almost flawless, due in large part to great instructions by dedicated and talented forum members like yourself.

-Frank 

Last edited by a moderator:
...also, if anyone is having a problem with this particular game's "brightness" or "contrast" on the newer screens (like on the Rebirth & 1GHz versions), you can really fine tune it within the Baldurs Gate "options" and then "graphics" button(s).  Once you play with these settings in game, you'll be happy.  I am.   :)

I need some help with this... For some reason.

I have installed Baldur's Gate just fine, copied everything over to my SD Card, ran GemRB, and the game runs fine, everything's all good. I then go to install the widescreen mod, and no matter what I do, it always tells me it's an Unsupported Game. I installed it with the old 5 CD copy of the game with my own CD's.

I tried the larger font mod, but it just told me that I don't have the widescreen mod installed and didn't seem to make any difference in game.

If I run Baldur's Gate in GemRB with the "bg1w" start up option, it seems to sort of work, but the right hand bar with the portraits is invisible, and when things like the GUI refresh/change I can see the right hand bar, but it is in the normal 4:3 resolution position, over the main gameplay screen.

I've tried all sorts, and nothing seems to work. Any help with this?

@omega-weapon...you have a PM.

@anybody else... Does anyone know of a similar wide-screen mod for Icewind Dale 1?  I've been happily playing both versions of Baldurs Gate and would like to get an IWDw version running on my Pandy too.

The same widescreen mod works for all games. For Torment you additionally need the UI mod, IIRC. For every(?) game there is also a fix/tweak pack that might be a good idea to install. If you look around (starting at gibberlings3.net) there should be guides detailing the best installation order for each game, though some mods are not relevant for playing with GemRB.

Back