Get Torchlight free on Gog.com

Any chance it will run on the Pandora at some point? (e.g. if at some point the engine gets open sourced)

Already had it from the humble bundle but it never hurts to have multiple digital copies, just in case the Humble Bundle servers ever die.

edit: speaking of humble bundle, I just got notice that the next one is up. Aquaria is in it (again) for those that haven't already bought it and want to play it on their Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
This version of Torchlight works perfectly under Wine :) .

(Just in case anyone is unsure if he should get the free game or not)

too bad, gog doesn't support linux releases (yet) <_<

too bad, gog doesn't support linux releases (yet) <_<
It's really no problem with Wine.

Take a clean prefix, do the winetricks as it's in the instruction and install.

As I have read somewhere the Linux version is buggy.

It's really no problem with Wine.
Take a clean prefix, do the winetricks as it's in the instruction and install.

As I have read somewhere the Linux version is buggy.
Never tried it myself (I'm not into Diabolo and its clones), but thanks for the hint.

A related project I just stumbled upon GogOnLinux

I haven't played to the end (not my type of game), but the Linux version did run fine for me. But there are probably thousands of small problems with different driver versions and such.

-- ignore the following rant

That really should make one appreciate the HUGE amount of work that has gone into wine and other projects. I feel lots of people seriously underestimate what a not really that large number of individuals has given us, making something like the Pandora possible. Admittedly these individuals are often quite strange, but I'm pretty pissed of when I have to read or hear how Steve Jobs or whoever has allegedly done this or that amazing thing when actually they were just marketing guys making the world a worse place.

Is it really a difference whether it runs via Wine or native?

For me it isn't.

As Wine applications are also in the start menu I can launch it as any other game.

There's only one bug that screen resolution doesn't set back to original after the game ends.

As I anyways set the start menu as a hotkey I can launch a terminal and set the resolution back within seconds.

There's also some menu option in the game you have to disable. Else the screen will be messed up.

Do it once and it's done forever.

those aren't really issues fore me.

Ostensibly no, so long as it runs platinum in Wine then there's not really a difference.In a more theoretical sense, it's the principal of the thing. Whenever you run a game through wine, that's actually one more "windows" user and one less "Linux" user. For most games this doesn't matter since they only have Windows releases, but when a game has both a Windows and a Linux release and you want to encourage more Linux games then you really do want to find a way for your playing to be counted towards Linux.

That's actually THE reason I pledged to the first Humble Indie Bundle, when the devs agreed to open source their stuff. I pledged a substantial amount then and I made sure that each dev knew that this was the reason I was doing it and that I wasn't alone. It doesn't seem to have made a difference in the long run but at the time it gave me a good feeling.

Ostensibly no, so long as it runs platinum in Wine then there's not really a difference.In a more theoretical sense, it's the principal of the thing. Whenever you run a game through wine, that's actually one more "windows" user and one less "Linux" user. For most games this doesn't matter since they only have Windows releases, but when a game has both a Windows and a Linux release and you want to encourage more Linux games then you really do want to find a way for your playing to be counted towards Linux.

That's actually THE reason I pledged to the first Humble Indie Bundle, when the devs agreed to open source their stuff. I pledged a substantial amount then and I made sure that each dev knew that this was the reason I was doing it and that I wasn't alone. It doesn't seem to have made a difference in the long run but at the time it gave me a good feeling.
That's a good point.

Back