Getting Usb To Work With Kubuntu

Soyburg

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
After receiving my gp2x today I plugged it via USB onto my Kubuntu box. It was *not* recognized as a mass storage device. I was getting the following error in /var/log/messges:

new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 1
khubd timed out on ep0out

I was however able to get it to work after removing that module

sudo rmmod ehci_hcd

and by going to "settings" and "usb" on the gp2x. It now uses the uhci_hcd module and is doing a "scsi emulation for usb" (or so it says in /var/log/messages).

The setback is this: Transfers to the device are now painfully slow. After every 6 MB or so it will stall for about 20 to 30 seconds before resuming the transfer again.

Has anyone found a way to make usb work with kubuntu (my kernel is 2.6.10-6-386) via the ehci_hcd and/or in a more speedy fashion?

Thanks for your suggestions,

Soyburg

After receiving my gp2x today I plugged it via USB onto my Kubuntu box. It was *not* recognized as a mass storage device. I was getting the following error in /var/log/messges:

new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 1
khubd timed out on ep0out

I was however able to get it to work after removing that module

sudo rmmod ehci_hcd

and by going to "settings" and "usb" on the gp2x. It now uses the uhci_hcd module and is doing a "scsi emulation for usb" (or so it says in /var/log/messages).

The setback is this: Transfers to the device are now painfully slow. After every 6 MB or so it will stall for about 20 to 30 seconds before resuming the transfer again.

Has anyone found a way to make usb work with kubuntu (my kernel is 2.6.10-6-386) via the ehci_hcd and/or in a more speedy fashion?

Thanks for your suggestions,

Soyburg

Hmm. Do you have problems using a USB card reader in Kubuntu? I'm runing Breezy with the 2.6.10 K7 kernel and KDE 3.4.3. I have a card reader that works perfectly (CF is the only card I have right now. No GP2x yet so no SD). I just go into Konqueror, select "Storage Media" and the reader is there, ready to go.

*note--on of scale of 1-10, 1 being a complete "what is Linux?" newbie and 10 being Torvalds himself I'm about a 2.5, so I won't be much help troubleshooting with you. But unlike most people I don't seem to be having any problems using USB storage devices in Linux, so it can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Im on 5.10 Ubuntu, (Same thing basically) so any problems he's having im sure to have too.

To the orginal poster - which release of Kubuntu are you Breezy?

No, I am on Hoary (5.04). And I do not have a general problem with USB. I have a Canon Ixus and an mp3 player wich are detected flawlessly as soon as they are plugged in.

I guess a workaround would be to buy a card reader, but I am not yet ready to give in :)

I use Slackware 10 with the stock 2.4 kernel, for me the GP2X gets detected, I fdisk it into one big win95 fat32 partition, format it with mkdosfs -v -F 32 -n GP2X /dev/sda1, mount, copy files, sync, unmount, sync, unplug.
All this works fine, however the GP2X can not read the contents of the card in the explorer.
Any ideas?

I use Slackware 10 with the stock 2.4 kernel, for me the GP2X gets detected, I fdisk it into one big win95 fat32 partition, format it with mkdosfs -v -F 32 -n GP2X /dev/sda1, mount, copy files, sync, unmount, sync, unplug.
All this works fine, however the GP2X can not read the contents of the card in the explorer.
Any ideas?

After reading your post I fiddled around with fdisk, cfdisk, cparted etc. but at this point the card was not being recognized at all and I was not able to read or write a partition table to/off it. Turns out my card is borked and can't even be formatted under windows. I have now given it to a friend of mine whose digicam uses sd cards. Maybe he can format it. But. I got me a card reader and a new sd card. Putting my new card into the reader got it recognized immediately by kubuntu. No formatting needed. And the file transfer is quite speedy. (The cardreader was one of those blue HAMA ones for USB 2, rather inexpensive too). Plugging the card into the gp2x and booting it revealed all the files I transfered, although I have to mention that reading ebooks will not become my favorite pasttime (the screen is too small to enjoy that and the line breaks are terrible). jpgs taken with my 4 gigapixel camera are not displayed, but when scaled down to 1024 x 768 they do. I was able to play an xvid avi (looked brilliant, sounded brilliant) but had difficulties with a divx4 avi (the device froze and I had to switch it off and on again twice). I am happy that the media player let's me go into folders but I am rathe unhappy that I am not able to delete these in the explorer.

To make things short. If you are on kubuntu (or any other flavour of linux) go buy yourself a cardreader. Don't format the card. There's a good chance it will be preformatted.

(If my first card is not borked, but can be formatted with my friend's camera, I'll post a short note of it in this thread.)

I'm also on Kubuntu (5.04) and as a USB device, the GP2X doesn't get recognized. My box has an SD card reader built in (Shuttle SN85G4) and that works just fine. But as a USB device, I can't get any sense out of my GP2X with either Windows, Mac or Linux. I have tried two USB cables on each PC and I get nothing. It's not critical for me at the moment, but I'm hoping that a firmware update will sort out this problem.

Back