Gigadrive

Savestates would be the icing on the cake. Sound would be the cherries. And "Panorama Cotton" working (and other mode-7 games; most of them come out garbled in the same sorts of ways, so its probably a missing or slightly bugged register causing the problem) would be the angelica :)

Sounds great, sadly I can't try it until I get home Wednesday. Couple of questions though - does it support any kind of saving and has anyone tried Pirates Gold? I can't think of anything better than having a portable version of that.

Twinbee posted on May 2 2004 at 03:45 PM said:
Full speed.
It's very impressive but does it really run full speed for you? I've only tried Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2 and both were very playable but still not full speed for me. I'm using the file called GigaDriv.fxe which is the 156 MHz over clocked version right? I not trying to be negative (it's a superb emu and deserves much credit/respect/donation$), I just wondered what kind of speed other people are getting?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's full speed, trust me, I have my Nomad right next to me running the exact same things. At least it's that way for ecco the dolphin and Sonic 2. Maybe you just feel like it's too slow because you haven't played the real games in a while or something...

Anyway the only problem I see with this emu other than a couple graphical glitches here and there is that it doesnt support battery-packed saves (games that you could actually save on in the genesis). You know, like almost all RPG's and Sonic 3.

does "crusader of centy" work on it my GP32 is still at mashmods so i can't try anything out yet...

I can't wait for my BLU!!!

I wanna test Gigadrive!!!

Why didn't I know this emu?

We talked about fgen only few daus before...

So the core is in asm?! Yes!! :D

Okay... I tried it with a looot of roms :)

Most games run! (Even Sonic & Knuckles AND Sonic 2 Beta (a lot of emulators can't run the beta!!!) Wow! Fantastic!

Some games have graphical errors, there's mainly one error occuring in different games:
When you have a text window which writes the text and switches pages when you press a button (like in RPG's), only the last text line works correctly.
This happens in Crusaders of the Centy (aka Soleil) and also Phantasy Star II and some other games I tried.
The games are perfectly playable if you already know what to do and don't wanna read the text ;)

Some games don't run at all (although those are not many).

Some games have collision problems (Sprite / Background).
i.e. in Turrican or Wonderboy III: Monsterlair you just fall down.

Some games have missing graphics (Donald in Quackshot is invisible, Castle of Illusion doesn't show your life, etc., in some games you run BEHIND the foreground... actually pretty funny ;))

Pirates Gold! runs a bit - it looks like it's running fine, but whenever you press any button, it just restarts (pretty weird).

So, speed is high, compatibility is already high, only some fixes needed (which seem to fix a lot of games at once), and then the only features I can imagine is...

* Sound (Yay!)
* Save States / SRAM
* Zip Support
* Some configurations (Buttons, Speed, Gamma, etc.)
* Database inclusion (as already done in some other emulators :))
* Action Replay

... well, not that much really :)

Great great work, fdave :) Thanks a lot!
Do you have a paypal account? :)

Actually all versions of this emulator work full speed, even the 132mhz version, because of the auto-frameskip. If it would be slower than full speed, the emu automatically upps the frameskip a little

Drumaster posted on May 2 2004 at 09:31 PM said:
Why didn't I know this emu?
We talked about fgen only few daus before...
So the core is in asm?! Yes!! :D
Well, it's from the author of Cyclone, tha ASM core of fgen32 ;)

Last edited:
pip posted on May 2 2004 at 02:53 PM said:
Gigadrive supports .smd and .bin, not .zip.
so thats why it wouldnt run for me :D

EvilDragon posted on May 2 2004 at 07:37 PM said:
Okay... I tried it with a looot of roms :)

Most games run! (Even Sonic & Knuckles AND Sonic 2 Beta (a lot of emulators can't run the beta!!!) Wow! Fantastic!

Some games have graphical errors, there's mainly one error occuring in different games:
When you have a text window which writes the text and switches pages when you press a button (like in RPG's), only the last text line works correctly.
This happens in Crusaders of the Centy (aka Soleil) and also Phantasy Star II and some other games I tried.
The games are perfectly playable if you already know what to do and don't wanna read the text ;)

Some games don't run at all (although those are not many).

Some games have collision problems (Sprite / Background).
i.e. in Turrican or Wonderboy III: Monsterlair you just fall down.

Some games have missing graphics (Donald in Quackshot is invisible, Castle of Illusion doesn't show your life, etc., in some games you run BEHIND the foreground... actually pretty funny ;))

Pirates Gold! runs a bit - it looks like it's running fine, but whenever you press any button, it just restarts (pretty weird).

So, speed is high, compatibility is already high, only some fixes needed (which seem to fix a lot of games at once), and then the only features I can imagine is...

* Sound (Yay!)
* Save States / SRAM
* Zip Support
* Some configurations (Buttons, Speed, Gamma, etc.)
* Database inclusion (as already done in some other emulators :))
* Action Replay

... well, not that much really :)

Great great work, fdave :) Thanks a lot!
Do you have a paypal account? :)
Thanx a lot EvilDragon for this explaination! :D

DarkWolfNine posted on May 2 2004 at 07:49 PM said:
I have added this Emulator my my compatibility website:

http://www.phantomtech.info/Compatibility/?EmuID=2

EmuID=1 is for fGen32 and EmuID=2 is for GigaDrive

If you have already signed up and reported on fGen32. then you can use the same login for this one. (But you will probably still be logged in)

Feel free to add which games are and are not working.

~DWN

Just a little tiny point, on your site it says "Sega Genesis Emulator for GP32 -
Ported by Dave"

Generally "Ported" implies I didn't write the original emu... but actually, I did ;)

This ASM core you have made has been the fastest thing since GPEngine was made so long ago. Congratulations dave...

Do you plan on implementing Reesy's Z80 sometime? Sorry to ask but this emulator has me drooling... All us genesis users have been waiting almost a year for a fast emulator...

Back