Gigas Bitten The Dust????

Pecaloja

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Everything has gone quiet with Gigas!! Does that mean people are busy working on new games or has everyone moved on to other things. Hopefully not the latter. Let's keep this moving otherwise it will die. :(

i don't think we'll ever see something come from Gigas, it's been out for how long now and I don't know of 1 single game available for it, though many people have talked about making one. Right now its' just to akward and time consuming doing everything on the GP32, i tried but eventually got frustrated and quit. Even if the engine was the same, if there would be a PC editor, i think you'd see alot more come of this. Also the lack of sound is not good especially for RPG games.

don't be stupid you people. the GP32 is completely dead. Zodiac, Gizmondo, DS and PSP have dug our graves... give up now before it's too late. :blink: :ph34r: :blink: :ph34r: :blink:

toxibunny posted on Feb 21 2005 at 11:56 PM said:
don't be stupid you people.  the GP32 is completely dead.  Zodiac, Gizmondo, DS and PSP have dug our graves...  give up now before it's too late.  :blink:  :ph34r:  :blink:  :ph34r:  :blink:

Surely you jest. Zodiac? make me fukin' laugh I had one and it was no big deal and the stick sucked. Besides it is digging it's own grave. Gizmondo and DS with those tiny little screens, Meh. PSP will be a nice commercial game system but it is closed tight and full of DRM protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I`m definitely going to buy a DS, maybe PSP, but I will also definetely keep my GP32 for emulation, mp3 and video... so, I don`t think its dead!

The GP32 lives in the community: if the community dies, GP32 dies, but the community is still alive! So shut up and continue supporting it! You all can make something yourself, a new DooM mod or a simple wallpaper for WindUps!

Stop asking, rise your butt and start making something! :angry:

"The GP32 lives in the community: if the community dies, GP32 dies"

True words were never spoken :)

There is also Fenix and Zot :)

jeff

toxibunny posted on Feb 21 2005 at 11:56 PM said:
don't be stupid you people. the GP32 is completely dead. Zodiac, Gizmondo, DS and PSP have dug our graves... give up now before it's too late. :blink: :ph34r: :blink: :ph34r: :blink:

Jeez what a pessimist! Almost everytime i check the GP32 scene theres something new, we've got a couple of brand new Mame emulators just around the corner as well! The other handhelds, as nice as they may be, are simply not as friendly to homebrew or emulator development, thats the GP32's major strength. It's still very much the most open, independant handheld around.

no. me too ^^ :ph34r:
talking about it, how much more powerful than our cute little GP32 is zodiac or zodiac2?

i was indeed joking. pirotic posted not long ago about all the new features he's putting in the next GIGAS release...

edit: and the zodiac has quite a bit more RAM, a 200mhz processor, and hardware screen-stretch type of thing. it's not *that* much more powerful...

well, I know I have gone and done other things
now, I know our handheld will never die ( untill the GP successor comes along )
Why do you ask me?
well, because I am working on my Half Life mod, and if the community dies, I will be severly pissed, and kill someone ( maybe SpamFisher.... lol )
so, the community wont die, cause Sam wont let it!

~Octavious

thats a great plan. you take a hostage for the sake of gp32 ^^
umm just hope hostage is the right word ^^^^

I think that the GP32 is just underadvertised (if that's a word). I bet that a US release and a few commericals would boost GP32 sales.
But it's nice having a small community :)

toxibunny posted on Feb 22 2005 at 03:31 PM said:
i was indeed joking.  pirotic posted not long ago about all the new features he's putting in the next GIGAS release...

Oh you were? In that case i completely retract my answer ;)

Advertising would be great, it was a fullpage ad in Retrogamer from GBAX that originally spurred me to buy mine, an i've never regretted it. Maybe GBAX could run some more fullpage ads in mainstream gaming mags to spread a bit more awareness? I still see people gobsmacked when they see all the stuff i can play on my GP. :)

Hiya - i haven't been on here for a while (too much time in World of Warcraft) but Gigas is far from dead. its not really a platform specific project so even if the GP32 community suddenly died, i'd still work on the project and port it over to some other formats.

I have a PSP and a DS, the DS is ok but unless developers can make good use of the touch-screen your just going to end up with some ugly looking 3D games, the PSP really impressed me - but i find 90% of the time im using it to watch anime i've converted into MPEG4, the games out on it at the moment are far to 'arcade' style and lack any real depth to hold interest.

the GP32 wont die however, as neither of the above cater for the home-coder - the GP32 (and to a lesser extent the Zodiac) are the only handhelds still which allow anybody to create software, and until the hackers/crackers find a way of getting homebrew to run on the PSP (easily, i know they've already done it using custom cables and the like) i think the GP32 scene will be fine.

I used to think of the GP32 as a power-horse when it came to 2D, but a couple of my projects (Guardian Monsters and another secret one) reached the stage where it was pushing the GP32 too far with sprite numbers that it ruled out some of fundimental gameplay mechanics so both those projects will probably re-appear on other formats (or maybe once i learn to code half decently, they'll make a GP32 appearence - lol).

Gigas runs great on the GP32, and thats with all the features chucked in - and cos the SDK is easy and it only takes a few seconds to test stuff on the hardware i have no interest in changing the primary format.

To be honest, i doubt anybody will ever make a game using Gigas on the GP32 - but then again i didnt code it for other people, i coded it as i love RPGs and like using the editor to tinker with ideas for RPG's while im travelling about.

I release it because, well, even if one other person enjoys it it makes the website and hassle of building a release beta version worth it. plus i've had a few donations which in return has allowed me to buy a chatboard and an RF adaptor.

Nice to see you back Pirotic, i am very close to finnishing a game with Gigas. It is 8 full screens (100x100) big with 2 others dedicated to rooms, dungeons etc. I have found it very enjoyable making my own game. The great thing about Gigas is you can keep adding things to your hearts content, so what starts off quite small just grows and grows. The only thing i don't like doing is using multiple hotspots to change multiple tiles, for instance when you move rocks to reveal secret door's :( . Apart from that i think Gigas is excellent. :) It is the thing i use most on the gp32_console .

Back