GINGE Questions

Kumaki

I put this in a different thread, but it's sorta off-topic there, but it is where I first heard mention of GINGE.

Problem is, I'm getting like, zero response. So let's try putting it in it's own topic

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hummmm...GINGE...is not exactly a Wiz EMULATOR...per se, but it does handle Wiz games?

What file extension does GINGE want? I may have to have a look at this....

What games are known to work with GINGE?

As Ive understood it Ginge is like a chroot, it runs the apps natively with all of the system libs. I think It also has an translation layer to translate low level calls to pandora ones.

The frontend for ginge will look for gpe files to execute.

Quite a few games will work, ones that wont will use unsupportable hardware like the GP2X's second core.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ginge is almost the same thing as Wine fot linux but it serves for GP2X and WIZ so that means you can use almost if not all of the software from these handhelds. However you cannot use the touch screen it wont work.

So, the only supported extension would be .gpe is that right?

Now, does it work kinda like an emulator? I mean...launch GINGE...then launch a program from a list?

Or is it more like an OS, that you boot from the SD Card?

Where did you get it ?

There's a .pnd here:

http://repo.openpand...age.ginge.notaz

Thanks.

Now...how do you use this? Like any other emu?

Just asking in advance, gonna actually see what this does right now.

EDIT: OK, tried this. I get the menu, but can't launch any games.

I only tried one at the moment, but it was one that should have worked...and it appeared to launch...then went back to the GAME part of the menu, where you have a picture of a controller.

But no game. Maybe I do not understqand file structure here or something?

HELP...please.

You should find a readme in the Xfce 'other' menu.

I don't remember, i'm sry.

OK, will see that.

Yeah...good luck. There's a "GINGE Readme" in the Documentation area...but when you request it...NOTHING COMES UP

None of those issues seems to have solved my problem.

I finally deleted the entire appdata folder and re-started GINGE to re-create it. Then I tried a different game.

That worked.

The game I WAS trying...still doesn't work...so I guess not all .gpe games are gonna work out.

I got Asteroids On Steroids to work, and Deal or No Deal.

So I guess my problem is solved...now it's just a matter of getting some good Wiz games and trying them out....unless someone knows where I can find a compatability list....or has suggestions based on what they have working on GINGE?

Hey, seeing as there is GINGE...somewhat of a Wiz "emu" - what would be the chances of getting a Dingoo "emu" and a Dingux "emu" of sorts?

No its not an emulator, its running the ARM games natively. It has a translation type layer to handle gp2x specifics. Dingoo is a MIPS device.

or has suggestions based on what they have working on GINGE

Try these :

Ruckman

Sqdef

Cave Story

These are all GP2X games, never had a Wiz so I'm not too sure what's hot for that system.

Already got Ruck Man.

Anything Pac-Man related is my speed all the way!

Hey, seeing as there is GINGE...somewhat of a Wiz "emu" - what would be the chances of getting a Dingoo "emu" and a Dingux "emu" of sorts?

No its not an emulator, its running the ARM games natively. It has a translation type layer to handle gp2x specifics. Dingoo is a MIPS device.
Nutz.

Oh well, you never know unless you ask.

Seems like Dingux oughta be do-able though, since it's basically Linux.

or has suggestions based on what they have working on GINGE

Try these :

Ruckman

Sqdef

Cave Story

These are all GP2X games, never had a Wiz so I'm not too sure what's hot for that system.

Already got Ruck Man.

Anything Pac-Man related is my speed all the way!

Nutz.

Oh well, you never know unless you ask.

Seems like Dingux oughta be do-able though, since it's basically Linux.

I dont think you really understood why I said it wouldnt be possible. GP2X/WIZ/PANDORA are all ARM devices, so they all 'speak' the same language, thats why this works. DIngoo is a MIPS device which is completely different language. You need to translate or recompile the MIPS into ARM, which would be a huge undertaking.

The fact they all use linux is really a minor point.

I dont think you really understood why I said it wouldnt be possible. GP2X/WIZ/PANDORA are all ARM devices, so they all 'speak' the same language, thats why this works. DIngoo is a MIPS device which is completely different language. You need to translate or recompile the MIPS into ARM, which would be a huge undertaking.

The fact they all use linux is really a minor point.

I guess not. Coder, I am not. I guess if they don't speak the same language then it would be tough.

But, while a coder might know what it means to be an ARM versus a MIPS device...I'm not one that would understand the difference, without being told.

Back