Release Ginge

Thanks Notaz, I can now play Mame with a working rom set finally. :lol: I never had the time to get a working one for the Pandora Mame!

I did notice in Mame when you exit a game to return to the rom selection screen, it kicks you out to the Ginge instead. Hopefully this is just a compatibility issue, and can be corrected in the future. I have also tried both Ruckman's(Wiz & GP2X), and neither one seems to work, has anyone had any success with this game?

Chris

That's odd, Ruckman (GP2X) is fine for me and I've seen others mention it being fine too.

FYI there are some compatibility lists coming together here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55835-ginge/page__view__findpost__p__906342

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering, is it possible to make Gmenu the default menu for Ginge? Also, Gnuboy2X doesn't display my rom directory, and crashes when I press the button that normally selects a rom.

-God Ginrai

Gruso said:
That's odd, Ruckman (GP2X) is fine for me and I've seen others mention it being fine too.

FYI there are some compatibility lists coming together here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55835-ginge/page__view__findpost__p__906342
Thanks for the heads up Gruso! I'm gonna delete it, and try again. When I first tried Cave Story, it didn't work either, and then I deleted it, and tried again, and it now works fine.

Chris

EDIT:I'm still having the same problem. I select it, the screen goes black, and right back to the Ginge menu. Weird uh?

SteveM said:
Well, without going too far off topic: there's a problem which cache invalidation. I believe you wrote the "warm" part for the Wiz port? Would GINGE patch anything in that bit of code of does it get run as-is? If the latter then we'll at least know we need to look elsewhere.
No it won't, wARM is functioning fine without it's kernel module (using standard system call). If you removed it put it back in.

MUMBL35 said:
I had the pandora set to 800 mhz, just didn't know if the Wiz clock effected it at all.
the Wiz clock has no effect, not sure I should enable it or not.

PokeParadox said:
Also just a note that Wind&Water crashes for me when I try to enter the shop.
Is that available in demo? Haven't played that game much.

Eniko said:
I'll chime in and say I agree with DaveC about the blur filter. But then I'm a pixel artist and thus by definition a bit of a purist. Also, this is absolutely awesome!
So it's on popular demand now. Will delay next version significantly B)

God Ginrai said:
Just wondering, is it possible to make Gmenu the default menu for Ginge? Also, Gnuboy2X doesn't display my rom directory, and crashes when I press the button that normally selects a rom.
Yes it is, anyone else wants gmenu?

mvickers03 said:
yodaofborg said:
Ah, nice. Really cannot wait to get my hands on a Pandora now! Still have my F100, but it's missing its stick cap, and no longer runs from batteries so it really doesn't get used much. Continuing from my saved games is also going to rock. How well does Snake On Dope run and is the *stoned* effect spoiled at all?

We all knew you rocked anyway notaz, but yeah! You rock dude!

Your welcome to borrow my GP2X F200 if you want fella, It doesn't get used any more :pandora2ut4:

Lol, maybe you should use the F200, and I'll borrow your Pandy! :D j/k Wouldn't be the same as watching all the cool GP2X stuff running on a Pandora though :)

[edit]

notaz said:
Snip...
PokeParadox said:

Yes it is, not sure if it has the shop feature in the demo, as I only played the teaser demo before ordering.

http://www.wind-water.net/demo#gp2xdemo

notaz said:
MUMBL35 said:
I had the pandora set to 800 mhz, just didn't know if the Wiz clock effected it at all.
the Wiz clock has no effect, not sure I should enable it or not.

PokeParadox said:

Eniko said:
I'll chime in and say I agree with DaveC about the blur filter. But then I'm a pixel artist and thus by definition a bit of a purist. Also, this is absolutely awesome!

God Ginrai said:

CPU clocking - does it basically just run as fast as Pandora is clocked to and any GP2X/Wiz class to change clocking are just silently ignored?

W&W Demo - I have no clue if it's available on the demo version or not.

Filtering - I wouldn't mind a simple doubled mode without any filtering, but I also don't mind the current option.

GMenu2X - Yes yes yes yes yes yes and 100 times yes for default ginge-menu.

I am a bit confused by the over clock settings too. Do the clock speed settings on the gp2x do anything or is it like the gp2x is always locked at 200 MHz? Or will the settings work as they would up to 290 on a real GP2X? Or is it running as if the GP2X was running at 500 MHz?

Also yes gmenu2x would be good although I think that would be a big job. With that you need to have a directory for user skins, icons etc. And users need to be able to change things in there (gfx, configs).

It'd be easier if you didn't think about this as emulating a GP2X CPU because it isn't. It's not as if the "GP2X clock" is at anything, it's running on the Wiz/Pandora CPU and it's not being artificially throttled to nor overclocked to anything. It's not as if it's a GP2X running at 200MHz, 290MHz, or 500MHz, the performance characteristics are completely distinct from a GP2X.

The native clock speed is left alone. It'd be bad if GINGE tried to correlate overclocking a GP2X with overclocking a Wiz or Pandora.

As I have found, under ginge, there is no gp2x clock. It does not exist, and ignore the emu options regarding gp2x clock speed.

I don't know if it's accurate to say that if the Pandora is set to 500mhz it's like a gp2x running at 500mhz, but under ginge with pandora at 500mhz, gpsp runs significantly better than on my old gp2x at 260mhz.

notaz said:
SteveM said:
Well, without going too far off topic: there's a problem which cache invalidation. I believe you wrote the "warm" part for the Wiz port? Would GINGE patch anything in that bit of code of does it get run as-is? If the latter then we'll at least know we need to look elsewhere.
No it won't, wARM is functioning fine without it's kernel module (using standard system call). If you removed it put it back in.
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll take another look and see if I can get any further with the port this time.

notaz said:
PokeParadox said:

Yes, but only as a plot device. You never get to buy anything there. However, I believe you are not able to forward the plot without going there, IIRC.

notaz said:
Eniko said:

Cool. :)

notaz said:
God Ginrai said:

That would be great. :)

-God Ginrai

Exophase said:
It'd be easier if you didn't think about this as emulating a GP2X CPU because it isn't. It's not as if the "GP2X clock" is at anything, it's running on the Wiz/Pandora CPU and it's not being artificially throttled to nor overclocked to anything. It's not as if it's a GP2X running at 200MHz, 290MHz, or 500MHz, the performance characteristics are completely distinct from a GP2X.

The native clock speed is left alone. It'd be bad if GINGE tried to correlate overclocking a GP2X with overclocking a Wiz or Pandora.
I know it really isn't emulating a GP2X and it basically runs GP2X apps. I guess Ginge is just "tricking" the Pandora into running a GP2X app. But I am still kind of confused. Does it run the app at 500 MHz? If so some apps may be used to running at 200 and may go too fast (haven't seen that). Also GPsP used to run slow with choppy sound on my GP2X but it is smooth with good sound on the Pandora with Ginge. That make it seem like it is running at 500 MHz now on the Pandora. Wouldn't running apps on the Pandora throw off timing? So confused :blink:

I doubt anything save for maybe a tiny number of emulators that were too way too slow on GP2X have any problem going "too fast." Most properly programmed games and emulators are throttled to some speed based on a physical event like screen refresh or some amount of real world time, not CPU clock speed.

notaz said:
zear_ said:
But what about the license status, is Ginge opensource? Can I download the code somewhere?
no.

I was excited to hear about this project until you said that. That sucks.

What are the button mappings for GP2X/Wiz on the Pandora. Other than the standard d-pad/ AXBY, I don't know what the other buttons are mapped to.

I would want to know what START, SELECT, Vol up, Vol down are mapped to on the Pandora. I thrashed around trying different ones but couldn't guess them all. MANY apps use these buttons from anything from exiting the app, to calling up a menu, selecting a certain option, loading a ROM, and even game buttons when the standard GP2X/Wiz buttons weren't enough.

For future versions there should be a way to map these to any keyboard key. This way the games that use these buttons can be set to a keyboard button that is convenient for the apps.

Oh and a bit of a bug, many Wiz apps have a big sound delay. It is like almost 1 second delay in many cases. I noticed this in MAME4all big time. Also tried GP2X Xmess ColecoVision module and it crashes (I run CV on Xmess as it has the best sound, others are way off). It works on the Wiz Ginge though.

mame4all actually works? I've got the same issue as others .. pick a rom, and it crashes or otherwise falls back to the f200 menu.

jeff

Back