Release Ginge

DaveC said:
What are the button mappings for GP2X/Wiz on the Pandora. Other than the standard d-pad/ AXBY, I don't know what the other buttons are mapped to.

I would want to know what START, SELECT, Vol up, Vol down are mapped to on the Pandora. I thrashed around trying different ones but couldn't guess them all. MANY apps use these buttons from anything from exiting the app, to calling up a menu, selecting a certain option, loading a ROM, and even game buttons when the standard GP2X/Wiz buttons weren't enough.

You know, Notaz explains the button mappings in his documentation.

For GP2X games, everything aside from the volume buttons is mapped 1:1. (Start is Start, Select is Select) The Vol buttons I think are , and .
For Wiz games, it's pretty much the same, except the Start and Select mappings were accidentally swapped.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix said:
mame4all actually works? I've got the same issue as others .. pick a rom, and it crashes or otherwise falls back to the f200 menu.

jeff

I don't know, mame4allwiz worked for me right off the bat. Didn't try gp2x version.

naples39 said:
skeezix said:
mame4all actually works? I've got the same issue as others .. pick a rom, and it crashes or otherwise falls back to the f200 menu.

jeff

I don't know, mame4allwiz worked for me right off the bat. Didn't try gp2x version.
GP2X doesn't work. Gotta use the Wiz version.

@JeFF: What did you mean before when talking about native MAME? How is it different than .106 or the MAME4ALL?

Peace & Pandora,

Link

EDIT: Does FinalBurn for the Wiz work?

God Ginrai said:
DaveC said:
You know, Notaz explains the button mappings in his documentation.

For GP2X games, everything aside from the volume buttons is mapped 1:1. (Start is Start, Select is Select) The Vol buttons I think are , and .
For Wiz games, it's pretty much the same, except the Start and Select mappings were accidentally swapped.

-God Ginrai
Ok I could find any documentation. The archive just has a .pnd so no docs and the instructions werent in the news post.

Thanks for the info.

Still I hope this can be re-mappable (additional keys perform same function, don't unmap the current start/select) . Start select were also used as game buttons (MAME, FBA etc) and it is kind of hard to use the Pandora start/select for fire buttons.

Prometheus said:
DasFool said:
Is there a way to remap buttons either globally or on an app by app basis? The attack and jump seem reversed to me in Cave Story.
For Cave Story, there's a text file in its folder called something like "GP2X Buttons" - you can edit this and the change will be reflected in-game. That's what I did. :) It was rather fantastic editing it on my Pandora itself.
Awesome, i just altered them to my liking (using my pandora as well). Feels more natural with attack and jump reversed.

Ze_ro said:
what are the chances of future versions of Ginge running iPhone apps?

--Zero
I'm just trying to figure out if you're signing off or (probably quite accurately) answering you own question ;-)

Mjlink said:
naples39 said:
skeezix said:

jeff

GP2X doesn't work. Gotta use the Wiz version.

@JeFF: What did you mean before when talking about native MAME? How is it different than .106 or the MAME4ALL?

Peace & Pandora,

Link

EDIT: Does FinalBurn for the Wiz work?

Occured to me when I went to bed that maybe everyone was talking about the Wiz version.. doh :)

As to native I mean .. we have cpasjuste's MAME 106 build that SteveM has been fancying up, and a couple other MAME builds (Sdlmame if not more); one of these days, someone will do a good mame4all port, or another mame. Either way, a native mame (built for pandora) should likely be a better fit/match. I don't remember what I was talking about above though, but I was saying something about how native mame and ginge-mame4all are different :) mame4all via ginge is probably aces now, because of the UI .. we just need someone to adopt mame for pandora and do it up, or just do a good mame4all port. *shrug*

jeff

skeezix said:
As to native I mean .. we have cpasjuste's MAME 106 build that SteveM has been fancying up, and a couple other MAME builds (Sdlmame if not more); one of these days, someone will do a good mame4all port, or another mame. Either way, a native mame (built for pandora) should likely be a better fit/match. I don't remember what I was talking about above though, but I was saying something about how native mame and ginge-mame4all are different :) mame4all via ginge is probably aces now, because of the UI .. we just need someone to adopt mame for pandora and do it up, or just do a good mame4all port. *shrug*
Yeah, or several people to adapt all these different builds ;-) The 106 build (actually the SDL version of XMAME) is just a binary at the moment, unless Cpasjuste hands out the sources (or someone gets it to compile from source, which probably isn't too hard). The main advantage of SDLMAME is its scaling options, but it's pretty slow without any help from the hardware. Even with hardware-accelerated SDL, it's obviously way behind MAME4ALL in terms of optimisation and GUI. I'm not sure how they compare with regard to compatability, although I'd guess SDLMAME would support more games. I'm pretty much waiting to see what MAME4ALL can do on the Pandora, but I've not heard any news on that front at all (if it's stalled or abandoned, just point me to the sources...). Or maybe "someone" starts a new MAME project to combine the features of all the above into one awesome port for the Pandora (probably not something you'd want to take on alone).

DasFool said:
Prometheus said:
DasFool said:
Is there a way to remap buttons either globally or on an app by app basis? The attack and jump seem reversed to me in Cave Story.
For Cave Story, there's a text file in its folder called something like "GP2X Buttons" - you can edit this and the change will be reflected in-game. That's what I did. :) It was rather fantastic editing it on my Pandora itself.
Awesome, i just altered them to my liking (using my pandora as well). Feels more natural with attack and jump reversed.
I want to reverse my buttons to!

What did you actually change in the buttons folder to get them reversed on the Pandora?

Chris

The text-file is completely self-explanatory when you open it. :) Where it says "X" and "A", just change the letter to the button you want that control to be, and it's reflected in-game after you save it.

Prometheus said:
The text-file is completely self-explanatory when you open it. :) Where it says "X" and "A", just change the letter to the button you want that control to be, and it's reflected in-game after you save it.
Thanks Prometheus. My problem was viewing the file on my PC, and the text was ran together, so it didn't make any sense. I just did it thru my Pandora and all was well.

Now, does anyone have any suggestions why Ruckman isn't working for me. All my other Ginge apps run fine, I've tried both Wix & GP2X Ruckmans and I get kicked out to the Ginge menu on boot up. My other apps run fine, so I'm guessing my folder placement is OK, but Ruckman won't boot up.

Chris

I'm afraid I can't answer about Ruckman, but...

jumpman said:
Thanks Prometheus. My problem was viewing the file on my PC, and the text was ran together, so it didn't make any sense. I just did it thru my Pandora and all was well.
How odd. I guess your PC is running Microsoft Windows? The text file appears normally on all of my machines (some Linux, one Macintosh). :p

Anyway, glad to hear that it worked via the Pandora. :)

[/off-topic]

DaveC said:
Ok I could find any documentation. The archive just has a .pnd so no docs and the instructions werent in the news post.

The documentation is in the PND. Is there no way to view that in Minimenu? It shows up in the documentation menu in Xfce.

DaveC said:
Still I hope this can be re-mappable (additional keys perform same function, don't unmap the current start/select) . Start select were also used as game buttons (MAME, FBA etc) and it is kind of hard to use the Pandora start/select for fire buttons.

Yes, that is a feature I would like to see. With the ability to map keys to a key combination, too.

-God Ginrai

Wow, gpSP runs perfect!

Just set scaling to 3:2 (without tearing fix), frameskip to no :)

It runs fullspeed :D

EvilDragon said:
Wow, gpSP runs perfect!

Are you using the Wiz or GP2X version?

DasFool said:
EvilDragon said:
Wow, gpSP runs perfect!

Are you using the Wiz or GP2X version?

WIZ. The gp2x had no tearing fix ;)

Last edited:
Back