Gmenu2x - Standalone Reader?

goob

GMenu2X is (IMO) the slickest frontend for the gp2x. But it also offers the greatest document viewer available -- the only one that consistently wraps text correctly, without having to mess around with the text file itself.

Currently, to read a text file, you have to set the Manual entry of a link to point to the text file. But wouldn't it be great if the code used for the reader could be made into a standalone program, making it much easier to view text documents.

What do you guys think?

I don't know about gmenu2x as I don't use it, but I do know that vtex is a pretty decent standalone text reader that word wraps correctly. It's in the archive.

I don't know about gmenu2x as I don't use it, but I do know that vtex is a pretty decent standalone text reader that word wraps correctly. It's in the archive.
I've tried gp2x VTex many times, it didn't wrap the ebooks from Project Gutenberg I have tried correctly, whereas the inbuilt gmenu2x's reader did a spendid job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be quite straightforward to hack about with the source to create a standalone gpe of the text viewer also. That could benefit those that don't wish to use gmenu2x.

EDIT: I grabbed the source and am looking into it... more news as it unfolds ;)
EDIT2: So far it's a bit tricky. GMenu2X is interlinked a lot I'd have to see how everything connects to figure out how to get the menual viewer working as a separate entity... something I don't really have time to do right now. :( Although on the positive note grabbing the source has sparked a little intrest in the idea of helping with GMenu development ^_^ hmmm

I've tried gp2x VTex many times, it didn't wrap the ebooks from Project Gutenberg I have tried correctly, whereas the inbuilt gmenu2x's reader did a spendid job.
Yeah, the gutenbergs are all formatted for a width of 80 chars so they're full of annoying returns. There's a script somewhere that resizes them to work well on the 2x. Or you could always manually resize them..
I agree though, we do need a good standalone text reader for the 2x. I don't use gmenu2x because I was too lazy to set it up, so I've never experienced its reader, but something that wraps well, doesn't recognise single line-endings (so gutenbergs etc work) and has support for different colours (this is my only problem with vtex, I don't specially like white on black) would own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back