Beta Gngeo 0.8 Beta1

All my christmas' will have come at once on the day this bloody SDL is released!

I'll try and get that SDL driver described towards the end of that thread done in the next week or two. Will at least give us hardware scaling until the optimised SDL is ready.

SteveM said:
I'll try and get that SDL driver described towards the end of that thread done in the next week or two. Will at least give us hardware scaling until the optimised SDL is ready.
In the meanwhile, it's still possible to shutdown X, then the SDL should work correctly in framebuffer mode and get the benefice of hardware scaling. That's how I did on my devkit8000

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Pep,

In Sengoku3, I dont see the health bar or any other info in game, just the characters/backgrounds. On the title screen, I can only see "Sengoku3", no insert coin or anything else which I should normally see.

This is a know bug. I need to check it.
I try to maintain a list of working games here
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AuNKTLRzlFiKdGg5TnQteU9tb2NTUVF6d1c2dHdDRmc&hl=en&output=html

all the test are done with an other 68k core than cyclone wich is used by the pandora port, but it can give a good idea.
If you have some issue with a rom that should work, tell me :) (This background color means that I didn't test it yet)

pepone said:
SteveM said:
In the meanwhile, it's still possible to shutdown X, then the SDL should work correctly in framebuffer mode and get the benefice of hardware scaling. That's how I did on my devkit8000
If you do add this hardware scale mode please include an option to toggle off the filter. It is on by default and blurrs the image.

To me Neo games stretched out to widescreen will look ridiculous so I would recommend keeping the current 2X non- fractional integer scale like is in there now as an option.

DaveC said:
If you do add this hardware scale mode please include an option to toggle off the filter. It is on by default and blurrs the image.

Doesn't make much sense including this in the apps, as there is a configuration option planned for HF5 where you select the filter :)
Also, it will probably be possible to override this, too using the .ovr files, so you will have a default setting and can override it for games if you want.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
DaveC said:

Doesn't make much sense including this in the apps, as there is a configuration option planned for HF5 where you select the filter :)
Also, it will probably be possible to override this, too using the .ovr files, so you will have a default setting and can override it for games if you want.
No it DOES make sense including it in the app. Some stuff that fractional scales could use the filter while integer scaling can look better without. Look at MAME the filter can be set on a per game basis. If I had to exit everytime and load a separate app and switch back and forth for that it would be a big pain in the ass. That is a terrible idea to have to load an app to configure things before you load another app. Too much extra screwing around for no good reason. It is not like everyone will always want the filter on or always want the filter off, it varies between apps, and many times can vary between games in the same emu. There is a big benefit for this setting to be in the app so that when you load it it will be set the way you want it automatically. It is bad enough that many apps can't set over clock and you have to fumble around with that stupid utility before you can use it. You want the interfaces to be as intuitive and as easy to use as possible, not making people load 2 apps (1 for clock speed, one for filter etc) before the main one, that is crazy.

You didn't even read my post I guess.
No one forces you to load an app before you run it. It will be implemented in the .ovr, so you can set it to be applied automatically.
The same thing already is possible with the clockspeed, though you cannot disable the overclock warning yet (you can from HF5 on) and you don't have the OVR editor yet (which is also something currently already in development).

Also: There is nothing that prevents an app to set the clockspeed. The only problem with MAME4ALL at the moment is that the warning dialogue gets in the way - but as said, that one can be disabled from the next HF on.

Nobody (except you) were talking about using two apps here.
Whether you set the filter within a setting dialogue in the app or ONCE within a setting dialogue before running the app is the same.

The difference is: If you can set it before running the app, the author doesn't have to include a setting in his app and you can still change the setting.

NOTHING prevents the app of changing settings itself.

EvilDragon said:
You didn't even read my post I guess.
No one forces you to load an app before you run it. It will be implemented in the .ovr, so you can set it to be applied automatically.
The same thing already is possible with the clockspeed, though you cannot disable the overclock warning yet (you can from HF5 on) and you don't have the OVR editor yet (which is also something currently already in development).
Whether you set the filter within a setting dialogue in the app or ONCE within a setting dialogue before running the app is the same.

The difference is: If you can set it before running the app, the author doesn't have to include a setting in his app and you can still change the setting.
I don't think you read mine either. I was referring to your statement that it "doesn't make sense setting in the app because you can set before", I was stating why tht is not a good solution.

I said that I may want to have different filter settings PER GAME in the SAME app. MAME was the example. If I run one game that needs to be scaled I WOULD like the filter, if I then choose another game that can be integer scale I DON'T want it. By your method of setting, and not having the setting in the app, ALL games I would play in MAME would either have the filter or not. I have to choose before I load it and I am stuck with that setting the whole time I run the app. If I want to load another game and want a different setting I would have to exit the app, use that utility, reload the app, then load the game. That is a pain. It is MUCH better having the setting in the app and having it set per game. Megadrive is another example some, games are 256 wide I may want to scale the width on those and have the filter on those and only those. I would not want the filter on the 320 doubled games. So again I would have to load the emu select the game and be stuck with what ever setting I picked in the beginning. If this setting is in the app then that is the best solution and DOES "make sense" as using that utility would be used as a last resort.

That said your MAME video is great :)

pepone said:
Your issue might be because of the bios. Do you have a neogeo.zip file in the roms dir?
Ok that was it. I had the bios in appdata in a dir called "bios" as that was created by the pnd (maybe left over from that other port?). I then tried it in the ROM dir in appdata but didn't work, then realized I set the path to another spot for the games and it looks for the bios then in the same spot as the games. I put it there and it now works, thanks.

One thing I noticed is that there is allot of screen tearing even with v-sync enabled. Maybe that setting doesn't work?

Also maybe an option should be there to not use cyclone for some games that don't work with it? I think the Pandora should have enough grunt to have those work smoothly right?

Thanks for the list.

DaveC said:
pepone said:
SteveM said:

To me Neo games stretched out to widescreen will look ridiculous so I would recommend keeping the current 2X non- fractional integer scale like is in there now as an option.
Don't worry. Non fractional 2x integer scaling will always be the default.

got this going earlier and apart from one of the 3 roms i tested not working as it was probably not new enough, it works really well! awesome stuff!

pepone said:
Don't worry. Non fractional 2x integer scaling will always be the default.
I don't care if it is default or not as long as it is still an option somewhere. The scanline mode looks cool too, that wouldn't work fractional or filtered. Please make it so that the filter can be toggled off too if you use the HW scaler.

The emu is looking pretty good now. Hopefully you will get your Pandora and can polish it up well.

I finally got around to trying this. Works well.

Is there a way to change the game keys?

I prefer:
NeoGeo / Pandora
A / A
B / Y
C / X
D / B

Thanks!

@pepone Could you please enable the p1key assignments in the gngeorc file?
I was able to set scale 2 in gngeorc but when I added the following it did not change the keys:
# order: A,B,C,D,START,COIN,UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT
p1key 278,280,281,279,308,306,273,274,276,275

Should this work? Could this work?

Thanks!

dgame said:
@pepone Could you please enable the p1key assignments in the gngeorc file?
I was able to set scale 2 in gngeorc but when I added the following it did not change the keys:
# order: A,B,C,D,START,COIN,UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT
p1key 278,280,281,279,308,306,273,274,276,275

Should this work? Could this work?

Thanks!
The key configuration is completely different now. You should try something like this:
p1control A=K278,B=K280,C=K281,D=K279,START=K308,COIN=K306,UP=K273,DOWN=K274,LEFT=K276,RIGHT=K275,MENU=K113

Thank you very much! It works.

Is there a way to assign (or use) the Test switch?
The test switch is used to set up the soft dip and make changes to how the game plays, enable/disable blood, number of rounds, difficulty etc.

dgame said:
Thank you very much! It works.

Is there a way to assign (or use) the Test switch?
The test switch is used to set up the soft dip and make changes to how the game plays, enable/disable blood, number of rounds, difficulty etc.
Test switch is currently disabled. It's easy to add though. In the meanwhile, you can try with the universal bios. put uni-bios.rom in the roms directory, and add the following in your gngeorc:
Code:
system unibios
Then, check the doc ;)
http://unibios.free.fr/howitworks.html

Back