Gngeo And Metal Slug

art1080

Still Fresh
I'm using the newest .7 gngeo to play the 5 game series. 4 and 5 are 'tits' but 3 now has a coating of garbage over the entire screen. Does anyone know how to lift the garbage filter? Also, mslug2 has a band of blue 'smegma' lining the bottom of the screen. Just wondering if that's a known problem.

On the topic, what is everyone using for the best performance? I know this always comes up, but the forum history is a little dense.

I run this string with .7

cmdLine=./gngeo -r --sound --samplerate=11025 --cpu_speed=280

What is -r ?

Also, what higher sample rate can be used for games that already run well..

I think everything runs really great - gngeo is heaven sent!!

-r is raster. Enable only for raster games because it's slow (make multiple command lines just in case, and no -r the default.)

--samplerate can be anything, but don't go overboard because the native neo geo rate is 22050.

280 is too high, I run mine on 250.... You can easily go lower.

Also nice job reading my reply from your other topic:

Shikaku posted on Dec 3 2006 at 05:47 PM said:
The main thing: look for d versions of files.

Look for non-encrypted, decrypted versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shikaku posted on Dec 3 2006 at 07:07 PM said:
-r is raster. Enable only for raster games because it's slow (make multiple command lines just in case, and no -r the default.)

--samplerate can be anything, but don't go overboard because the native neo geo rate is 22050.

280 is too high, I run mine on 250.... You can easily go lower.

Also nice job reading my reply from your other topic:

Shikaku posted on Dec 3 2006 at 05:47 PM said:
The main thing: look for d versions of files.

Look for non-encrypted, decrypted versions.

Thanks again man! The games sound much nicer with 22050 and I don't notice any fp loss. I will consider lowering the mhz but i like a little buffer :lol:

I couldn't get any metal slug after 2 to run very well at all. unless I'm doing something wrong (266mhz w/ sound), it has a good ways to go before it's fullspeed. I hope it catches up to the psp emu which seems to have taken the show right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87L9nTZwtiw...ted&search=

so does the gp have any chance at catching up to the psp's emu scene right now?

kingbuzzo posted on Dec 17 2006 at 06:15 PM said:

Well since there are millions of PSPs out there and only a a few thousand GP2Xs probably not. It just needs the right devs to work on stuff though. Pepone hasn't updated this emu in ages so maybe it is one of those that gets abandoned after awhile.

DaveC posted on Dec 17 2006 at 02:44 PM said:
kingbuzzo posted on Dec 17 2006 at 06:15 PM said:
Well since there are millions of PSPs out there and only a a few thousand GP2Xs probably not. It just needs the right devs to work on stuff though. Pepone hasn't updated this emu in ages so maybe it is one of those that gets abandoned after awhile.

He's probably working on making it dual core, or maybe he's just busy... haven't seen him in awhile. But when he comes around he usually adds a huge feature.

I run all neogeo games on 250mhz and most are fullspeed or very close to, that includes mslug2.
you are doing something wrong :)

mslug 1 and 2 are alright when overclocked, but not mslug3, 4, or 5. Garou and the kof games have a ways to go as well.

Hmmm..... I'm running all my Neo Geo games at full speed + sound at 266mhz. Metal Slug 1, 2 and X. Garou, Last Blad 1 & 2, SNK vs Capcom, Kabuki, Matrimelee, KOF 97, 98, 99, 2001, Waku Waku 7, Samurai Shodown 1 & 2, Fatal Fury 3, World Heroes 2, Double dragon, not counting many of the other fighters and all of the shooters plus various other games. I'm using the newest Gngeo2x 0.7 Well it is not new. I'm also on filmware 2.0. I have also noticed that my Neo Geo games run a lot smoother with a fast SD card.

I would also agree that you are doing something wrong.

the only 2 neogeo games i can think off that are not working or metal slug 3 (( weird screen glitch,like a white grid effect and neocup 98 which has no football pitch just transparent lol....all the rest run perfect for me at default settings, well i havent bothered to change them since i got it running and it runs i would say 100% and that includes metalslug 1,2,4,5,x

(spelling as always)

alright, well I'll reload my gp2x with the latest gngeo, a fixed romrc, and make sure my setting are 266, sound, and showfps.

I'll post my results soon.

so I've tested out some more intensive games like Garou and Last Blade 2...

Yes the games do seem to run a lot better than in previous versions of the emu, but I did notice a few differences that may have to do with the mmu hack.

I'm assuming it's the use of MMU since the issues I see are much like those in AES4ALL on DC which uses MMU. Framerate will be around high 30's to low 50's around the beginning of the game until most of the moves are executed. After that, it will be mostly 60fps. So can I assume that this is the data being loaded into the memory via mmu?

Yes the graphical data are stored in the .gfx file and when gngeo load the gfx from the SD card the framerate is lower.
The problem is that the DMA of the SD card reader is not fully functionnal and then the acces to the SD is realy slow. In the lzast firmware (2.1.1) the acces to the SD card is little better than on previous one.

yes I am using 2.1.1 and it seems faster.

my main concerns seem to have vanished, I guess now it's just being nit picky about the initial frame drops, some romrc issues, and the need to overclock.

otherwise, great emu. Hope it goes dual core :p

Nice to know that the gp hasn't met it's match with the psp as far as neogeo emulation goes. Now it's just a matter of time before we catch up to them with snes, cps2, and gba.

Back