GNOME MPlayer Won't Install

GeBeCluck23

Okay so...I recently reflashed my Pandora to the latest (SZ171) firmware, and I went through all the steps of setting everything up again, and it's all going good except, when I downloaded and ran the community Codec Pack, GNOME MPlayer doesn't show up ANYWHERE. I just re-installed the codec for the second time, but still nothing. I should point out that as far as I can tell, everything else worked fine.

If it's relevant, my specs are: 1GHz Model, 128GB "Main" SD Card in the left port, (and also the one I used the second time I tried installing the codec pack) 8GB SD Card in the right port, (The SD Card I used the first time for installing the codec pack, as my 128GB SD Card obviously wasn't compatible with the Pandora pre-codec install, being formatted as NTFS.)

And last but not least, I also want to point out that this is my EXACT SAME SETUP as before I updated, and everything was working fine, so I'm not really sure what's going on...

Thank you ingoreis, I followed the instructions in the YouTube description and it worked! I still find it suspicious though that I even had to do any of that...if anyone can think of what the problem might be, I'd be willing to test some stuff out.

(P.S.

To ingoreis; while following some of the steps in the video, it asked me to move folders to a different directory, which I did, however it asked me to overwrite a couple files. Being on the NAND, I did not want to do that, so I created backups first. Are those original files safe to delete or not? Specifically, the files in question were, Mplayer, SWPlayer, libplayer.sso.2, [<--something like that anyways] and one more I believe. Are those safe to delete or not? The original ones, that is.)

NP: ;)

The Files to overwrite are just from the older Community Codec Pack and

you can overwrite them with the newer Version from the Howto without Problems ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
NP: ;)

The Files to overwrite are just from the older Community Codec Pack and

you can overwrite them with the newer Version from the Howto without Problems ;)
Ah, okay! It didn't occur to me that that's what I was doing. That means I should have probably done this anyways, haha!

...Huh...that begs the question though, how come the Community Codec PAck hasn't been updated? Is it just an old version or what?

There was never an Update of the Community Codec Pack because some Licenses (don't know which exactly) :rolleyes:

Sorry to revive this thread, but my music files (specifically, .mp3's, as I haven't tried any others yet) aren't working either with a default program. Do they also work with mplayer, and if so, can I use the same custom command (mplayer -zoom ) to get them working as well? And again, if so, will it have a GUI while playing them? Because previously when I got mplayer working before reflashing my Pandora, the Community Pack GUI for music files was really helpful, and I noticed that using the custom command for videos plays them fine, however there is not a GUI with them...

Hi,no Problem for that because you can use Mplayer with a simple Gui for playing Audio Files ;)

Start the Audio File with

xterm -e mplayer
Works perfectly here on my Pandora.

I can end the Music when i want so then ^_^

I tried "xterm -e mplayer" and it worked, but it pulled up a command window of mplayer playing the file. I was really wondering if I can get the useful, as well as more aesthetically pleasing version of it running so that it actually has pause, play, next, ect. Again, that's what I had previously before reflashing. Is there anyway to get that again?

Why do you not simply use SMPlayer for Audio Files?

Try to start Audiofiles with smplayer instead of mplayer ;)

The text window is where you can issue the command to pause/play etc.:

P or <SPACE> to pause or restart

<Esc> or Q to stop

<left> and <right> to skip back and forward 10 seconds

<up> and <down> to seek 1 minute forward and back

<pgup> and <pgdown> to seek 10 minutes forward and back

9 and 0 to lower and raise volume

[ and ] to slow down and speed up playback (can be useful to get through long speech-based files quickly, though it does make everyone sound like mickey mouse)

You'll need to associate your playlist files with a slightly different command to make them work - 'xterm -e mplayer -playlist' - otherwise mplayer will try to load your playlist file as an audio file.  Now you can use < and > to skip through tracks.

Personally I like Deadbeef as a GUI audio player.  All its hotkeys are configurable, so you can get access to most of the features the CLI mplayer has if not all of them.  I use mplayer directly if I'm already in a terminal though - and always for video files (which I watch fullscreen, so standardised hotkeys are a must).

My main concern is having audio files work with a default program that has a nice, simple GUI, so that I can simply go to my audio file in a file manager, and run it. Of course I COULD use alternatives, and it's not like the text based window is bad or anything, (thanks for the commands Levi!) but I've done it before on my less-updated Pandora, and I still can't wrap my head around why I can't do that now, for Audio AND Video files!

Found a simple Way for you:

-activate Wlan

-open a Terminal

-type

sudo opkg update

then

sudo opkg install gnome-mplayer

Work here good ^_^

The problem is that the Pandora's OS has moved on from when the codec pack was created, many of the packages are incompatible (or at least they don't match the MD5 sum) of what is currently installed.

What needs to be done on EvilDragon's side is to rebuild the codec pack with the most up to date package files.

I recently had to reflash and had this problem. My solution was basically exactly what ingoreis says, "opkg update" and "opkg install" all the packages from the repo, fingers crossed that it didn't break anything (it didn't).

edit: I don't have my Pandora on hand. Tonight when I get home I'll get the complete list. Since it has to install these from the Angstrom repo it'll require a decent internet connection: I consistently get 600KB/s downloads and it still took about 5-10 minutes to install everything, so if you've got a painfully slow wifi you may want to consider a USB networked connection.

What MD5's need to match?  The codec pack contains complete ipk archives, which should match their own hash etc.  Perhaps they encode dependencies on old versions of OS packages that have since been updated, but that's not an MD5 clash.

We still need a solution for the 'restricted' ipks I guess, as those probably aren't in the repo.  Although I've never installed the codec pack, but seem to be able to play back mp3s - I guess some of the audio codecs are embedded in those audio pnds.

Edit: You mention the angstrom repo - have you added that to your sources.list (or whatever the Zaxxon equivalent of that is).  Only the Pandora repo should be configured as default I thought.

This is great!

I just installed SMplayer2 to nand by copying the bin and lib dir to /usr and it works great with the spaceFM file manager.

Somehow I can't get it to work with Thunar though but I like SpaceFM way better anyway.

Is it easy to replace Thunar with SpaceFM on nand?

Found a simple Way for you:

-activate Wlan

-open a Terminal

-type

sudo opkg update

then

sudo opkg install gnome-mplayer

Work here good ^_^
Hey, sorry I wasn't available for a while, and it took me a while to get back. Anyways, I tried this and it downloaded Gnome-Mplayer all right, but when I try to open anything by using it, it simply doesn't work. It doesn't appear to be booting up at all. I'm not sure what I should do at this point...

hmm...what i would try it to redo that Howto from the Video.

Maybe that opkg installed too old mplayer Binarie ;)

What MD5's need to match?  The codec pack contains complete ipk archives, which should match their own hash etc.  Perhaps they encode dependencies on old versions of OS packages that have since been updated, but that's not an MD5 clash
I dunno, I didn't investigate too much. From a fresh install of 1.71 I tried to install the codec pack and the errors it was producing involved MD5 errors. Even when I re-downloaded the package, and tried mounting the PND to manually install the ipk files it was same error. I didn't investigate further, I just copied the names into a text file and installed them off the net.
You mention the angstrom repo - have you added that to your sources.list (or whatever the Zaxxon equivalent of that is).  Only the Pandora repo should be configured as default I thought.
I didn't do anything special before this. I did a fresh flash and was getting the MD5 errors from the get go. I can't remember whether I ran the OS upgrade before or after the codec pack. I forgot my Pandora at home again and wasn't feeling like experimenting on the weekend; maybe I'll remember tonight and I'll help figure this out for future users.

Back