Going Away For Awhile (For A Long Hike)

senquack

I feel a great disturbance in the source
Website
Visit site
If anyone tries to get in touch with me I won't be able to respond very often here because I am doing my second thru-hike of my life, this time it is of the Pacific Crest Trail in the western US. My wife and I will be hiking all 2700 miles on foot, starting on the Mexican border and moving north over the course of 5 months to the Canadian Border, through the Mojave Desert and the Sierra and Cascade mountain ranges.

pacificcresttrailrouteo.png

If anyone was around in 2007 they might have caught my thread I posted when I left on my 2175 mile Appalachian Trail thru hike. I met my future wife the first day out and we stuck together and made it all the way from Georgia to Maine together and now we are happily married and hiking the PCT :)

I will miss the scene when I am gone, I really find myself craving computers and GP2X programming towards the end of these things :) Pretty badly to be honest! Stay classy, folks..

If you want to keep track of our progress, this is our new PCT journal

Your poor feet, I don't think I've walked that much in my entire life.

Titcher said:
This.

Get yourself a GPS and make a webpage where we could check exactly where you are! (wait... is this actually possible?...)

And you met your wife on your first hiking day... place pics of your future heir when it's born.

Just kidding, that's a very nice thing actually. Have a great trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
gp2.eXe said:
Titcher said:
This.

Get yourself a GPS and make a webpage where we could check exactly where you are! (wait... is this actually possible?...)

It is possible, but generally with a device a little more advanced than a basic GPS unit. iPhone or similar 'smart' device.
iPhone is a great unit for tracking and plotting.

Enjoy your hike! I'd love to do something similar (except maybe on a trail bike).

Thanks for the kind words everyone.. I am actually now here in northern Georgia, about to do about 200 miles of preparation hiking.. Then, it's off to Nevada to take a snow clinic course where they teach us how to build emergency snow caves, look for avalanche dangers, and use our ice axes for self-arrest. Then, I will be heading out to California to start the actual 5-month hike in April. So, I really will actually be hard to reach for about 7 months or so.

I'll drop in from time to time :) As for the GPS, we have one but it is an older one and it cannot even hold all the waypoints for southern California much less the rest of the trail, so we are just leaving it at home and bring maps and guidebooks and compass. The PCT can actually be tricker to stay on than the AT, especially when snow covers the trail in the Sierras, but I think with the two of our heads combined we'll figure out how to get past it.

*sigh*
I wish I could take off for several months for such an epic journey. Best I get is a week for a road trip to Calgary and back :(

Senor Quack said:
Thanks for the kind words everyone.. I am actually now here in northern Georgia, about to do about 200 miles of preparation hiking.. Then, it's off to Nevada to take a snow clinic course where they teach us how to build emergency snow caves, look for avalanche dangers, and use our ice axes for self-arrest. Then, I will be heading out to California to start the actual 5-month hike in April. So, I really will actually be hard to reach for about 7 months or so.

I'll drop in from time to time :) As for the GPS, we have one but it is an older one and it cannot even hold all the waypoints for southern California much less the rest of the trail, so we are just leaving it at home and bring maps and guidebooks and compass. The PCT can actually be tricker to stay on than the AT, especially when snow covers the trail in the Sierras, but I think with the two of our heads combined we'll figure out how to get past it.
This averages what..19 miles a day? Ouch. Best of luck, and stay safe :)

BTW where are you in N Georgia? I migrate between Athens and Alpharetta!

Good luck Senor Quack, stay safe, and come back to us with wonderful stories to tell! Keep those cougars and bears at bay! :)

How do you afford to do this? This seems like it would be an awesome thing to do but I don't think I could afford to not work for 5 months straight, unless I figured a way to get on the dole while I was doing it.

Hi everyone I am at an outfitter in Georgia using their laptop!

Ravnos said:
How do you afford to do this? This seems like it would be an awesome thing to do but I don't think I could afford to not work for 5 months straight, unless I figured a way to get on the dole while I was doing it.

Well, being married makes things a lot easier because we can share a lot of costs like rent and food and such. I know how to fix cars, so I do almost all of our car repairs and that saves a lot. Of course, I also know how to do computer repair so I do all of our repairs there, too. And we also make good financial decisions like never buying things with credit cards we can't pay off immediately, only buying good reliable used cars, not buying DVDs or books (use netflix or the library), not spending money on computer games or consoles at all (except for the GP2X stuff which is my hobby), etc etc. And when you are on the trail you are not spending money on rent so it only takes about $3000-4000 per person for 6 months of trail life. During our off season I find work in factories and pick up overtime when offered and my wife works too, so it is more than possible :)

Sounds like a big adventure to me. I'm a little bit jealous as I also would like to do such a trip. Godspeed to you and your wife! :)

Back