Good libraries to learn? And a good place to learn to compile libraries?

Blue Protoman

I've been a wee bit lax in my C++ education; though AP Computer Science (though in Java) ought to keep me going on a more serious front. Meanwhile, I've decided to continue on with SDL. But I understand that there are many libraries which extend its functionality. The problem is, I don't know where to begin! First, I'm going to learn the core functions, of course. That's where LazyFoo comes in. Then I want to learn some libraries that extend off of SDL, as listed here. Any tips? I'd strongly prefer libraries with the following qualities;

• Either staying in 2D or introductions to 3D (kind of how Game Maker can do Doom-style 3D)
  • Really, REALLY prefer open source so I can port to Pandora if necessary
  • Something that'll last me a while in functionality, and will help me be a better game developer in general
  • If it's one of those "game engine" libraries (not "game development"), I'd prefer it to be easy to learn so I can tier up my skills.

I'd also like to know if anyone knows a good tutorial for compiling a library in case I make something that's Pandora-ready. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

My advices : skip these libs. Learning to use these "alternative" libraries wont bring you much in your learning process.

They are nice to use for a specific need, but that's it. If you need one of them in one of your project go ahead. but that's it.

I think you'll learn more by doing everything yourself

If you want to learn SDL for games, start by making a game. You could start with Pong, or you could start with your own simple, original game (whichever floats your boat best). After you've got a firm grasp of SDL (and you've made a few 2D games), you might want to move into 3D by making some simple 3D games in OpenGL (or, you could start with 2D OpenGL games, then move up from there).

You're never going to truly learn something if you only focus on learning it. Focus on using it; the learning will come along with it.

Don't worry about learning a bunch of libraries. If you find a library that's useful, great. Go ahead and use it. But don't waste your time trying to build up a knowledge base of good libraries. That time could be better spent making programs or games.

For SDL based apps, you could help yourself with just the basic libs of SDL_Image, SDL_Mixer and SDL_TTF.

And from there you have the basics of making a nice 2D game.

Obviously I'd suggest Penjin... There are several of us kicking about that can offer support on developing a game using it.

Hm, I'd forgotten about that. Maybe once I learn the basics of SDL I'll give that a shot first, just because it came from this community. I just need to find some damned time, first. College applications keep you busy!

Back