Good news for the Pandora

yongzh has been pretty blatant about license violations - he refused to attribute the copyright owners so we can at least know if he was stealing.

Users (not nintendo) have petitioned google to remove his apps in the past, but google's position seems to have been to wait for the actual copyright owner to complain. I'm sure that this is what has finally happened. There are still plenty of other nintendo emulators still on the market, and as it's been pointed out - there is nothing nintendo can really say about it anyway.

Keeping developers honest can only be a GOOD thing for android.

I mean, if pandora developers were violating Free or Open Source licenses I'd expect our community to kick them out of the app stores/repositories as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally. Thieves deserve nothing better. I hope they get the money back from him somehow even though I don't think so. "cutting off his primary source of income"... do they really state his primary income is... crime???

I guess we're supposed to pity him....

His crime of stealing code and ignoring licenses? Or making emulators? Cause emulators are legal. As Sony just mentioned, Bleem is to thank for that. They won their legal battle with the real Sony...just went bankrupt doing it. That's why small companies like our pals Craig and ED here have to be careful. Even if they are doing nothing wrong a big company could litigate them outta existence even if they win. One reason they went all BT on the iCP. any lawsuit woulda killed em, whether they won or not.

But back to the point. In the US, and most of the world, emulators are legal if they are reversed engineered and do not use stolen code or such from the console. ROMs on the other hand get tricky...

"stealing code and ignoring licenses" of course. I don't know where the other emus came from, but N64oid is a theft. He has made a few ten thousands with something others put monthes of work in. If this is the message an OS programmer gets... I wonder if some will decide to stay closed source.

Oh dear. Thank god they did stop the prick.

(based on what's here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/hmwj7/android_markets_most_popular_emulators_disappear/ , I had no idea of this beforehand)

I see, thats bad form! I wouldn't go hating him tho LOL

Wait until someone rips off your code and sells it for money, without a hint of credit. I know what it's like. I don't hold grudges for long, but the word hate would be a rather apt description of how you'd feel.

Shut up yo face~ I hate Yongzh the poofta!

I won't stay silent just because you tell me to do so.

I agree what he did is wrong, indeed.

But I don't think it's the right way to talk like that on the official forum of open pandora.

This forum is one of the "showcase" of the pandora, the community is one of the largest selling point of the pandora, think about that.
wink.gif

Is the Xperia Play rootable? (IIRC it's what's needed to install software from sources other than the android store)

If it is, they'll probably be able to install emulators without major problems.

Android does not work that way.

By default the option to allow installation of software from places other than Google's market is de-selected, however for most people it's just a matter of going into your phone settings and allowing non-Market sources. The option to allow it is presented the first time you attempt to install something you got without the Market.

Some carriers choose to disable this feature so rooting may be the only way around it but as far as I know those carriers are a minority.

Oh dear. Thank god they did stop the prick.

(based on what's here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/hmwj7/android_markets_most_popular_emulators_disappear/ , I had no idea of this beforehand)

I see, thats bad form! I wouldn't go hating him tho LOL

Wait until someone rips off your code and sells it for money, without a hint of credit. I know what it's like. I don't hold grudges for long, but the word hate would be a rather apt description of how you'd feel.
Yeah I can understand that 100% would be like stealing a song and selling it as your own which is wrong, he was making a quick buck, most of us are guilty of doing that at sometime or another, IE getting something you got for free and selling it. Hate is a very strong word, I'm sure some people are very grateful he did bring those ports to the device even though he did violate some licence.

But I don't think it's the right way to talk like that on the official forum of open pandora.

This forum is one of the "showcase" of the pandora, the community is one of the largest selling point of the pandora, think about that.

Hey man, pull <removed some unnecessary rude words>. What you think is "the right way" for other people to talk is totally irrelevant. I quite often call people <lalala>, and I usually enjoy calling them <lalala>. By being such a goody-two-shoes prude, you are coming across as a bit of a <lalala> - there I said it, and it felt good! How many people are cancelling their pandora order cause I called you a <lalala>? None. I don't agree with a lot of what some people say, but unless they are breaking rules left right and center then moral standards are for each individual to decide upon.

If someone steals another persons code it's VERY desirebable for the community to gang together and abuse the S.O.B in as many ways as possible. It might deter potential offenders, and might also help the victims (all of us and especially the original coders) feel a bit better by venting our irritation. Try feeling sorry for the guys who spent a lot of time and effort creating something for us, instead of the shitty little maggot who took it and tried to parasitically leech money from a community that are entitled to be treated with more respect. Either that or take a run and jump off that high moral precipice you're standing on.

Haha I concur. actually some very very early free toy collections are worth a small fortune.

I agree with above post, although shitty little maggots are people that steal from old women, not someone who stole a emulator. lol

I was wondering if that guy was the one who had been stealing code. When I read his name something sparked a memory, and a quick romp through the comments confirmed it.

Glad I didn't pay money for one of 'his' emulators during my so-far short experience as an Android device owner.

Hey man, pull that massive bung out your incredibly tight arse. What you think is "the right way" for other people to talk is totally irrelevant. I quite often call people dicks, and I usually enjoy calling them dicks. By being such a goody-two-shoes prude, you are coming across as a bit of a dick - there I said it, and it felt good! How many people are cancelling their pandora order cause I called you a dick? None. I don't agree with a lot of what some people say, but unless they are breaking rules left right and center then moral standards are for each individual to decide upon.

If someone steals another persons code it's VERY desirebable for the community to gang together and abuse the S.O.B in as many ways as possible. It might deter potential offenders, and might also help the victims (all of us and especially the original coders) feel a bit better by venting our irritation. Try feeling sorry for the guys who spent a lot of time and effort creating something for us, instead of the shitty little maggot who took it and tried to parasitically leech money from a community that are entitled to be treated with more respect. Either that or take a run and jump off that high moral precipice you're standing on.
Dick^

And it is reasons like this that I have waited so long for my Pandora. Once everything is setup, I don't have to worry about any greedy corporation breaking my applications, or making my applications no longer work.

I was wondering if that guy was the one who had been stealing code. When I read his name something sparked a memory, and a quick romp through the comments confirmed it.

Glad I didn't pay money for one of 'his' emulators during my so-far short experience as an Android device owner.
Same here. Although honestly, I probably would have had my phone actual physical buttons. Stolen code or not, playing an emulator for games like that without buttons just sucks.

Me too. I guess that Google is like YouTube
Actually Google bought YouTube couple of years ago.

But back to the point. In the US, and most of the world, emulators are legal if they are reversed engineered and do not use stolen code or such from the console. ROMs on the other hand get tricky...

I live in a country where software reverse engineering is illegal (with some minor exceptions). I just wonder what's the status of programs created with reverse engineering in a country where it's legal.

< in spoiler tags for brevity >

Hey man, pull <removed some unnecessary rude words>. What you think is "the right way" for other people to talk is totally irrelevant. I quite often call people <lalala>, and I usually enjoy calling them <lalala>. By being such a goody-two-shoes prude, you are coming across as a bit of a <lalala> - there I said it, and it felt good! How many people are cancelling their pandora order cause I called you a <lalala>? None. I don't agree with a lot of what some people say, but unless they are breaking rules left right and center then moral standards are for each individual to decide upon.

I found it funny that ED edited TitanUranus's post, but I could still read them in Nardella's response. :p Anywho, I agree with both you guys here, on certain levels.

Well, this is not the right place to display your hate against anybody like this.

If you have personal problems with him, contact him directly.
As I mentioned earlier, I don't and won't support yongzh, or any other 'developer' I hear isn't playing nice, and I don't think it's wrong to badmouth someone like him if he's done wrong. If you stay silent, no one learns anything. I know a plagiarist who's never been thoroughly punished or publicly outed, and he's still stealing other peoples' art and getting jobs that way. He's been doing this for well over 10 years.

Because this forum is a "showcase of the Pandora" I think it's even more important that we set the example that this kind of uncool junk just won't stand in our community. If it's made public, especially where we're supporting an open platform, perhaps mischievous devs will think twice before violating licenses.

Now as far as wording is concerned, this is just not the right place for unnecessarily rude language. It makes it difficult for others to read threads and changes the atmosphere in the wrong way. I'm not saying we should be a happy unicorn rainbow land, but you can still voice your distaste (preferably with supporting arguments) without resorting to insults or swearing. ;)

Hey man, pull that massive bung out your incredibly tight arse. What you think is "the right way" for other people to talk is totally irrelevant. I quite often call people dicks, and I usually enjoy calling them dicks. By being such a goody-two-shoes prude, you are coming across as a bit of a dick - there I said it, and it felt good! How many people are cancelling their pandora order cause I called you a dick? None. I don't agree with a lot of what some people say, but unless they are breaking rules left right and center then moral standards are for each individual to decide upon.

Waving the Free Speech flag over your right to be a douchebag doesn't impress anyone. Sure... you have the RIGHT to insult people, nobody can actually stop you from vilifying others based on race, religion, or sexual preference... but exercising that right just because you can is kind of against the point.

But part of being a community (or in a broader sense - a society) is choosing to show a modicum of respect to your fellows. Not because you are being forced to, but because a community is about things that you have in common, and to do otherwise does more harm then good.

Back