Good News!

It would be nice even if we get open source keys and the locks are on a Skype server and the keys are sent and processed with the answer given back to us...

Is this what I just explained or is it still too vague and early to find out?

WizardStan said:
I wonder whether this SDK really means someone can write a Skype compatible client, or if it's all just hooks into the official Skype client which you still need to have installed with all it's x86 dependencies.

They already have had hooking allowed in the client for a while. I have Skype set up with my Miranda IM currently. This can't be the same thing.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
Eniko said:
Am I the only one who read this in prof Farnsworth's voice? :huh:

EDIT: Damn, beaten to the punch by atomicthumbs.
"Good news everyone! I've invented a device that makes you read this aloud in your head, in my voice."

Oh my god, I just did that! It actually works! :eek:

second exodous said:
Why the heck did it take them so long to do this?!? They could have done this years ago when they were at the top of their game.

+1

They don't even release x86_64 binaries! (even flash has supported x86_64 for ages now). This doesn't make sense to me for their service based business model.

It *sounds* like they are opensourcing the core, I mean how else would they meet the claims allowing people to port it on any embedded device? but I'm still rarther suspicious. Frankly I'll believe it when i see it. They keep talking about the API, which does suggest a binary blob libarary, so maybe they are only going to support builds for multiple specific named platforms (and the 'any' is just hype).

They are however clearly opensourcing the sound codec, so who knows.

WombleGoneBad said:
They keep talking about the API, which does suggest a binary blob libarary, so maybe they are only going to support builds for multiple specific named platforms (and the 'any' is just hype).

API's on the interweb work very differently to APIs on operating systems. An API, in this context, is essentially a list of calls to and from the SKYPE server. It essentially goes a bit like this:

You want to connect to the skype server so you send this message over this port
I'm providing a list of the contacts on line in this format
You tell me who you want to connect to and with which service by sending a message in this format
The data between you and me is going to flow in this structure
When you want to terminate I'll send you this message, otherwise
if I need to terminate I'll send you this message

Back