Google Apps

johnoakes

Still Fresh
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I can't find any reference to it.

What are the prospects for Google applications working within FF3? And what about Google gears and offline usage?

Thanks in advance if anyone can enlighten me.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Any normal websites/-services will work just like they do on a PC.
All you mentioned will surely work.

With the exception of closed source plugins (adobe flash), everything in Firefox will work exactly like on a regular linux desktop.

'sindbad' said:
With the exception of closed source plugins (adobe flash), everything in Firefox will work exactly like on a regular linux desktop.
So no Youtube on Pandora? :huh:

'Morgan' said:
'sindbad' said:

Not so fast!

There is a possibility of getting flash on the Pandora, and a bigger chance of Gnash. So Youtube I THINK is a go ahead. VLC works with Youtube, so I'm sure you can do it that way any way!

'Morgan' said:
'sindbad' said:

A quick Google search for "ARM flash player" returned this, so it looks like it could happen.

'Morgan' said:
'sindbad' said:

Youtube is probably the main testbed for gnash (free flash plugin), and it seems to be the one site that works better, one has to wonder why :)

I'm more worried about the various flash games websites: those may be problematic; luckily a good number of those flash games are just clones of some game style that may be already available on the pandora somehow (native or arcade emulation)

'valhalla' said:
I'm more worried about the various flash games websites: those may be problematic; luckily a good number of those flash games are just clones of some game style that may be already available on the pandora somehow (native or arcade emulation)
There is a Huge (note the capital H) difference between Flash video playback (just a codec really) and actual Flash game / app support. The former is relatively easy and practically a given for early on, if not right at launch. The latter is a much trickier thing, though it is far from impossible. In fact, between Adobe adding Flash support for similar devices (though not open-sourcing the players) and being more transparent with the format's requirements, it's pretty likely to happen eventually in some form. I will not promise that all games will run fast (some may not at all), but SOME games will probably be supported at some point.

Back