Google Maps And Gps ?

Tor said:
The problem though is that people don't remember addresses in this order, we think "232 lexington blvd., Austin, TX, 78777" not "Texas, Austin 78777, Lexington blvd. 232".
I think you'll have to replace 'people' with e.g. 'Americans', or whatever. Is it the same in e.g. UK? Where I live, and in lots of other countries in Europe it's always "Street name, Street number", often followed by "zip number, City" or some variation.

Here it tends to be something like:

House number Street Name
Village/region
Town
City
County
Country/United Kingdom
Postcode (zip)

for example,

132 Warpole Street,
Margrove,
Nr Bcukley,
Buckinghamshire
United Kingdom

Bizzarrely, perhaps, the actual country is usually omitted and United Kingdom used instead if the originator is outside of the UK, and reversed if the originator is in the UK. For example, if I were to post to Wales I would include "Wales" in the address, but if an american were to post to Wales they would likely use "United Kingdom" instead.

That's OK though, because Welsh places usually have a minimum of 15 l's in name places so they don't get mixed up with English towns which tend to have names like "Morgrith" or "Bottomscratchingly".

Seriously, look up some of the names of our smaller villages. Or sometimes even not so small...

Last edited by a moderator:
Monk said:
Tor said:
The problem though is that people don't remember addresses in this order, we think "232 lexington blvd., Austin, TX, 78777" not "Texas, Austin 78777, Lexington blvd. 232".
I think you'll have to replace 'people' with e.g. 'Americans', or whatever. Is it the same in e.g. UK? Where I live, and in lots of other countries in Europe it's always "Street name, Street number", often followed by "zip number, City" or some variation.

Here it tends to be something like:

House number Street Name
Village/region
Town
City
County
Country/United Kingdom
Postcode (zip)

for example,

132 Warpole Street,
Margrove,
Nr Bcukley,
Buckinghamshire
United Kingdom

Bizzarrely, perhaps, the actual country is usually omitted and United Kingdom used instead if the originator is outside of the UK, and reversed if the originator is in the UK. For example, if I were to post to Wales I would include "Wales" in the address, but if an american were to post to Wales they would likely use "United Kingdom" instead.

That's OK though, because Welsh places usually have a minimum of 15 l's in name places so they don't get mixed up with English towns which tend to have names like "Morgrith" or "Bottomscratchingly".

Seriously, look up some of the names of our smaller villages. Or sometimes even not so small...

I am strongly in favor of bigendian formats
for example, date & time should be: year/month/day hour:minutes:seconds

so a bigendian address should be:

country
zip code
state
city
street
building number
room number
name of addressee

(though the zip code duplicates the city & state information in the USA)

DAP said:
I am strongly in favor of bigendian formats
for example, date & time should be: year/month/day hour:minutes:seconds

so a bigendian address should be:

country
zip code
state
city
street
building number
room number
name of addressee

(though the zip code duplicates the city & state information in the USA)

I use bigendian filenames when I'm dating revisions of a document I'm working on. Helps them to sort nicely within the folder. I use bigendian folder names too, for the same reason. It's more logical to zoom in on the detail from a large view than to start right up close and then think (that number building on what street? That street in what town? That town in what city? That... and so on). IMHO.

IIRC the PostCode in the UK duplicates right down to the street (possibly even which side of the street, in some places), so the THEORY suggests that we only need to put house number, street to be sure, and postcode for sending within the UK. However, the sorting process has ... had its bad years, and no-one trusts the system well enough to do that.

Postcodes, as far as I'm aware (and I could be totally wrong here), change where a road intersects another, and is different from one side to another. Say for instance Miles Road is 5km long and Blongy Avenue intersects Miles Road at 3Km, that would mean that there would be two different postcodes, one on either side of the side of the intersection.

Does anyone know with the Pandora's Wireless/BlueTooth chip (TI's WL1251) when only using bluetooth does it power down non BlueTooth areas leading to a reduced power drain in BT only mode?

Basically does using BlueTooth alone (or Wireless alone) result it a smaller power draw than using both Wireless and Bluetooth given that the functionality is provided by the same chip? :)

kmob said:
Does anyone know with the Pandora's Wireless/BlueTooth chip (TI's WL1251) when only using bluetooth does it power down non BlueTooth areas leading to a reduced power drain in BT only mode?

Basically does using BlueTooth alone (or Wireless alone) result it a smaller power draw than using both Wireless and Bluetooth given that the functionality is provided by the same chip? :)

I would guess this is the case. But then I also didn't think they'd have separate SD controllers for each port. So there's no telling. It would make sense for it to work that way, though (you can have one / other or both)

I tried to find a datasheet this afternoon but didn't get far. Didn't search hard, though. The module is called WG7210.

the new iMug has a very good GPS and its easily ported to the pandora

chickenimug.jpg

Could Ovi maps work on the pandora?
http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/maps-support/compatibility-and-download#/default/

HaCo said:
Could Ovi maps work on the pandora?
http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/maps-support/compatibility-and-download#/default/
It may be possible but it will probably not be legal.

Back