Astronomy Navigation Or Ocean Gps

Harold Hutchins

Still Fresh
hello open pandora gp32x i know its been a while since ive been on here (long story, breakup with gf but i dont want to talk about it i have a new girl) and i was hoping to pilot boat on ocean but am afraid of getting lost, so i want to look into getting a google maps but with stars and gps? is there software for pandora? thank you all and i really appreciate helped.

Get an iPhone. Has many nautical maps, gps, calls and more.

Is there any of the software you're after already made for linux?
If so --> Is it open source?
Is yes to both, it COULD one day come to Pandora. You'll also need a GPS and drivers for that....

TBH: iPhone is the best bet for something like that. Maybe N900 if software is available.

Where do you get a boat to pilot on the frikkin ocean without built-in GPS navigation? Are there slaves rowing on it, too?

GPS is for pussies! Sextant and compass are all you need YARR!

Harold Hutchins said:
so i want to look into getting a google maps but with stars and gps? is there software for pandora? thank you all and i really appreciate helped.

Stellarium http://stellarium.org/ is pretty handy stars-wise but says it isn't for navigation, but I've found it pretty accurate nontheless, there are a couple of nautical almanac progs that can be run in terminal that I cant quite remember the name of at the moment. X-tide is also out there for tides and stuff but again says its not for navigation purposes. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them as I'm off to sea again in May. Oh yeah and hi everyone... first post been lurking for ages...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mithrildor said:
No more pics of the cave trolls they shouldnt see the light!
Those who ridicule the dead shall pay their price when it's time to follow. Don't underestimate the self-destructive tendencies of mind ;)

Mithrildor said:
Could you please remove that zombie kind of thing in your avatar, it really scares me.

You sure that's not the EX he doesn't want to talk about, and the "No more" mean, "yay, she's gone, don't have to put up with her anymore"?

BackAssward said:
Mithrildor said:
Could you please remove that zombie kind of thing in your avatar, it really scares me.

You sure that's not the EX he doesn't want to talk about, and the "No more" mean, "yay, she's gone, don't have to put up with her anymore"?
But now we have to put with her.
Well, actually I've blocked his posts, but.

Despite the thread starter being about as real as the voices in my head, this thread is now going to pop up in search results so I might as well dump something useful in it.

As Gunni said, Stellarium is a very nice astronomy app. It has now been ported to N900 which makes it a realistic option for us.

For road navigation, Navit is already in the Angstrom repo. It uses the openstreetmap project for maps, which will please some people more than others. You will of course need USB/Bluetooth GPS receiver for this. Refer to the USB FAQ in my sig before buying USB gear.

Google Maps will not work on the Pandora like it does on the iPhone or in Android. You'll be able to use Google Maps via your web browser of course, but there will probably never be a dedicated app. I'm not sure what those dedicated apps offer to be honest, but if you're hoping for turn-by-turn navigation, don't expect it from Google.

There are plenty of possibilities for Pandora, but at the end of the day it depends on your needs. I'll be getting into all this stuff just for the fun of seeing what Pandora can do. But if you want polished commercial style navigation products along the lines of an iPhone app or a Navman, you won't get it here. Not yet anyway.

I use TangoGPS on my ThinkPad. It's simple, but provides all functions I need. By default it downloads all maps from the Internet, but you can store a particular area locally if you'd like to.

lulzfish said:
BackAssward said:
Mithrildor said:

But now we have to put with her.
Well, actually I've blocked his posts, but.
i am very sorry if i am offend you lulzfish i take all responsibility and yes i had my reasons for the breakup but trust me its not what you think. she habitually refused my requests for raids and constantly ignores pms messages to her behind my back makes fun of me. again im so sorry to you your sensibilities and i hope this doesnt ruin our friendship

everyone else thank you stellarium seems to fit my needs i only need to navigate from great britain france for boat tour with new gf so i dont need all accuracy.

Gruso said:
They have a tunnel now FYI.
but how is boat tour supposed be good romance? like i said its mostly for my new gf (name is r41dpr1nc3ss for all of you wondering) and she said she wants see ocean so should be excite much

Does that mean I was right about the pic... lol. Given your story, it probably wasn't offensive that someone called the pic scary and a zombie :p .

Good luck on the boat trip, take pics of the country side and post in off topic. I miss that part of the world.

r41dpr1nc3ss.... Is she a girlfriend you met online and have not met in real life? Therefor her real name was not mentioned? I'm sure a simple coffee or movie will suffice.... ;) ;)

kingoddball said:
r41dpr1nc3ss.... Is she a girlfriend you met online and have not met in real life? Therefor her real name was not mentioned? I'm sure a simple coffee or movie will suffice.... ;) ;)
well i first met her in my guild but weve met in life as well and she said she likes boats so im taking trip with her then. ill be sure to take photos her real name is helena by the way

Back