GPS Navigation Software on Linux (OsmAnd replacement)

tarator

Very Active Member
Hello,

one piece of software I will miss most probably, when getting my Pyra and dumping my Android phone is OsmAnd.
This application is the most used, when I am travelling.

As the Pyra might arrive pretty soon (fingers crossed, glass half full) I'm looking for an alternative on Linux, which can replace OsmAnd. The following features are interesting use cases for me:

* Offline display of (vector) maps
* Offline navigation
* Offline ability to look up Points of Interest (POI's)
* GPS-Tracking (and maybe upload to Openstreetmap.org)
* Offline POI creation and upload them to openstreetmap.rg afterwards.

Is anybody of you guys using a Linux-Box for Navigation/Mapping right now? Which application(s) would you use for this tasks, and will they run on the Pyra?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the OSM upload, but all the other points can in principle be covered by Navit [1]. However, so far I haven't found out how to manually adjust generated tracks (maybe I haven't searched thoroughly enough).
In the rare occasions where I need routing, I use Marble [2]. It needs online access to calculate tracks, but the routing works without it. It uses raster maps though.
FoxtrotGPS also uses raster tiles and needs online access for route-finding too.

All three of them are available in Debian and run reasonably well on netbooks that should be roughly on par performance-wise with the Pyra.

[1] http://www.navit-project.org/
[2] https://marble.kde.org/

Thanks for your replies.

Offline routing is crucial for me. This is one thing I need almost every day, when I'm travelling. I'm sure I'll find something, which fits my purpose.

I already use marble on my linux box. I also stumbled upon Navit a few weeks ago. I'll have to take a closer look at it.
Also FoxtrotGPS looks promising.

I'm still hoping to get Android support as soon as possible.

For Navigation, messenger etc.

Modrana looks great. However I looked at the home thread at meamo and it doesn't seem to list vector maps as a feature.

Does it only support raster maps ?

I'm using Locus on Android that has functions similar to OsmAnd and will also be looking for an equivalent on the Pyra.

I've only gotten modRana to download raster maps. I'm not aware if vector map support is available or planned.

Back