Got A Gp32 Over A Psp. Was I Right?

Yeah it's suprisingly impressive, I first ran across the GP32 while looking for an inexpensive video player and thought "wow, plays games too? that's a bonus!" Granted I dont encode many videos any more for it now that I have a PSP but I much prefer it for emulators, partially because many require jacking the MHz to 333 which burns battery faster than playing a commercial game so atleast with the GP I get more play time on AA batteries.

mrdark: Sorry! I coulda sworn I had mentioned it before, Yeah I did see the G13 movies, they are classic anime right up there with Lupin III and Dirty Pair. But I have to thank the NES games for even clueing me in that it ever was animated (although the second movie was a lot more visible.)

Alpha2 posted on Oct 2 2005 at 07:43 PM said:
mrdark: Sorry! I coulda sworn I had mentioned it before, Yeah I did see the G13 movies, they are classic anime right up there with Lupin III and Dirty Pair. But I have to thank the NES games for even clueing me in that it ever was animated (although the second movie was a lot more visible.)

Thanks for letting me know that the PSP has some issues with emulation. That makes me feel a little better!

And about Duke- Yeah when I was a kid and Nintendo Power magazine began, they had a brief article where they mentioned that Golgo 13 was based on a comic book. I wrote to Nintendo about it and they responded about the anime, which only years later in 1994 I finally found for sale domestically. Loved it. The overabundance of sex was a little cheesy for me, but I get why it's there.

Besides, one of the best twist endings in history, IMO!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpha2 posted on Oct 3 2005 at 04:21 AM said:
I dunno if the Dead Pixel issue is so much fixed as it is just over blown.
The PSP was only just released over here. Many people were angry that their units had dead pixels and that Sony was unwilling to exchange them unless there were at least 6 dead pixels. After some really bad press about this Sony finally made a statement saying that they will exchange PSPs with dead pixels, even if there's only one.

mrdark posted on Oct 3 2005 at 04:54 AM said:
And about Duke- Yeah when I was a kid and Nintendo Power magazine began, they had a brief article where they mentioned that Golgo 13 was based on a comic book. I wrote to Nintendo about it and they responded about the anime, which only years later in 1994 I finally found for sale domestically. Loved it. The overabundance of sex was a little cheesy for me, but I get why it's there.

Besides, one of the best twist endings in history, IMO!!

That's quite normal, i mean the sex in it, it's based on a manga for Adults , with quite a bit of Violence and mature scenes ...

I own both a PSP and a GP32.

MrDark - to be completely honest, I would have to recommend a PSP over a GP32 at this time in history. The emus that PSP does well are much better than the equivalents on GP32 (i.e. NES, TG-16, SNES, GB/GBC). And of course the PSP games themselves are very advanced and great fun (Burnout Legends for example). Plus it plays movies better than Gp32 can ever do.

And that DraculaX ISO I helped you with... On the PSP you can actually play it. ;) But not on the GP32.

As for the screen - my PSP has no dead pixels and the controls all work fine. However the PSP has a TERRIBLE dpad design, making diagonals very iffy. And you have Sony always updating firmware, so at some point you'll have to choose between emus and commercial games, if only temporarily. It gets annoying pretty quickly IMO.

The GP32 does have much more variety in homebrew than the PSP right now, and emus for some systems not yet emu'd on PSP (then again the PSP also has emus for systems not emu'd on GP32 so it goes both ways). I wouldn't ever call the GP32 a bad choice, it's a unique system and offers a lot of enjoyable software for free. But like I said, if I could only have one or the other at this time in history, I'd go with the PSP. Mainly cuz I know I'm getting a GP2X soon. ;)

The GP2X looks to be the best upcoming emu/homebrew platform overall. If only because it's designed to be open to developers and has what appear to be good controls.

Man, so much to reply to!

First of all, sorry to hear about the Gizmondo situation. I can definitely feel where you're coming from! My GBA broke and I waited a good year to replace it. A month later I hear that the DS is soon to be released. Not the same I know, but I can at least attest to that unlucky "a minute too late" purchase. After all, that's one of my problems buying the GP32- It was the only one around so I paid an arm and a leg. Two days later it's being liquidated daily on ebay. Pshh.

And about Golgo 13- Yeah, I know anime is loaded with all the adult stuff. It's not that I don't expect it or can't handle it, I'm 27 and sometimes I prefer my entertainment that way. In the case of "The Professional-Golgo 13" specifically however, I thought it was too cheesily James Bondian and arbitrarily "adult". I think it distracted from the narrative of an otherwise engaging film. But hey, I still liked the movie.

And that's pretty stupid what Sony said about the dead pixels. Only at 6 does it officially become a problem worth spending time repairing? Frickin' lame. I'm glad everyone put so much pressure on them to fix that crap.

Lastly, thanks Prophet. You have helped me here repeatedly (as you even mentioned) and I appreciate the input. I see your point, and it both disappoints as well as uplifts me that the systems are so similar for my needs. Thanks for the comparison, it was helpful to hear them explained so directly from an owner. And apparently a deep-pocketed one at that! Let me know if your wealthy business is hiring! :)

Actually I'm fairly broke and have a terrible income. :p I'm just kinda old and am good about saving money, and handhelds are just a passion of mine. Believe me, you don't envy me for anything financial. I have a nice collection of handhelds, and that's about all I have. LOL! But I'm trying to change all that...

I think it's a pity you didn't hang on for a little bit longer so you could get a GP2x. But none the less if you are into retro games, you will find all you want on the GP32 pretty much :D .

mrdark posted on Oct 3 2005 at 12:42 PM said:
. Not the same I know, but I can at least attest to that unlucky "a minute too late" purchase. After all, that's one of my problems buying the GP32- It was the only one around so I paid an arm and a leg. Two days later it's being liquidated daily on ebay. Pshh.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You are not married to any system and you can always save up to get a PSP too.

I have a PSP and as has been said many emus are better on it. The GP32 has very good ones too. It is too bad that the scene was not bigger on the GP32 or many of the emus would be as good as PSP such as GBC, NES PC-Engine etc. Neo, SNES, etc would always be better on psp though. It isn't because of the hardware so much but mostly the lack of devs.

the psp has other issues like the poor d-pad (the GP32 stick is better), the screen smearing that happens with fast scrolling, and the stretching to 16:9 that distorts the image making it look blurry.

There really is no "perfect" emu system yet. The GP2X MAY be real close to ideal but it is not out so we don't fully know its capabilities.

Hiya! I am very new to all this and have a BLU+ on the way from England...I have all the handhelds except this one and am very excited about it!! I've had a PSP since last January and, well, I am not enthused...

Smiles from Peter

Can you play c64, Speccy, Dragon, Amstrad, Atari 800, Atari ST etc on the PSP or is it limited to consoles?

This isn't a sarcastic question. I'm genuinely interested as I know almost bugger all about the PSP scene.

Yes, the PSP has many systems emulated.
Look at the page, on the left hand side of the page are all the emulators:
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/

BaDToaD posted on Oct 6 2005 at 03:37 AM said:
Can you play c64, Speccy, Dragon, Amstrad, Atari 800, Atari ST etc on the PSP or is it limited to consoles?

This isn't a sarcastic question. I'm genuinely interested as I know almost bugger all about the PSP scene.

Back