Got My Brand New Gpx2, Too Bad Usb Doesnt Work!

cakey

Still Fresh
Website
www.cakeypower.com
I just got my gpx2 today (ver. 1.0.1) from play-asia.com.

I turn it on and everything seems fine, but no computer "sees" it when I connect it with the usb cable. I've tried it on 3 different compters: 1 laptop with both ubuntu 5 and windows xp, my main Debian machine and a windows xp desktop and none of them recognize the gpx2. Its like nothing is even being connected.

I also tried replacing the batteries with brand new duracells and still nothing.

This is very frustrating. I pre-ordered this in Sept... orderd the case, tv out cable and screen protector too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I already posted the same thing here but I was hopeing someone on this forum might also be able to help me out.

Thanks

USB on mine doesn't work either. It says "Found USB mass storage device", then "A device attached to this computer is not functioning". I believe USB 2 isn't supported by the firmware, only USB 1.1. The solution to this feature is to plug it into a USB 1.1 hub.

cakey posted on Dec 21 2005 at 09:51 PM said:
skate2live92 posted on Dec 21 2005 at 04:48 PM said:
there has to be an SD card in the slot when it is plugged in to usb

So in other words this thing is useless without an SD card? :blink:
at the moment: yes

In the future they may make it so that you can put stuff into the NAND memory (i'm not sure about this, but it sounds possible). But even then, you would need an SD card in order to upgrade your firmware for this to work. I got a kingston 1GB SD card for $53 a little over a month ago. My 1GB is already completely full all of the time and i'm thinking of getting a 2GB when the firmware upgrade that supports it comes out. I also need to get a cheap card that works for firmware upgrades, because mine doesn't :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget also that the GP2X uses the 'Gadget file storage' modules, which means a couple of things:

Your not going to able to access your SD card and NAND at the same time, it'll only be one of the other (could be cured by inserting the famous "SD/NAND" menu before enabling USB).

The standard for providing access to remote devices such as usb keys, the gp2x, etc, is called "Mass storage". This works by directly accessing the medium and presenting that directly to the OS it's connected to (eg. Windows, Mac or Linux). If they don't understand the file system, no drive letter will show up. So this means that for compatibility FAT32 needs to be used. FAT32 on a NAND file system is bad as it doesn't support bad block remapping, wear levelling (ie, not constantly rewriting the same blocks to prevent wear and increasing the life of the nand), and various other stuff that dedicated file systems such as JFFS2 do. But Windows, Mac, and loads of Linux distributions don't understand JFFS2 as there's no need for it in a desktop OS...

So, I'd say we are screwed for getting nand viewable via usb.

cakey: I'd buy one of the cheap $5 unpowered USB1.1 usb hub's too, just in case...

Back