Got My Gp32 At Last, But Won't Play Emus?

hi what size was the SMC you ran mkdosfs on? if its not 128 it won't have worked correctly if you used the default options. I suppose its possible that if it did work and formatted your card as a 128 when its not it could be causing windows to crash when reading it - doesn't need that much of an excuse after all... ;) try reformatting the card natively in XP and see if the creating a folder still causes your hard crash.

mrdark posted on Oct 11 2005 at 11:54 PM said:
By now I must be a legend of poor luck on this site. Well, it's back to the HP support chat right now, I'll be back later so if anyone has any definite advice or whatever, please let me know. And sorry if I lashed out at anyone, it's just that this is unbelievable. I mean, honestly unbelievable my history with this thing.
:p Don't get discouraged, dark! You have had a rough time getting off the ground, but I assure you it'll end up being worth your while.

If after removing and reinstalling your reader it still doesn't work, I might suggest you maybe get a new reader? They're cheap. It just really seems like that programs screwed up the actual reader hardware for whatever reason.

OR you could use gpManager. I think your problem before was a bad SMC. Connect the GP to your computer, turn on your GP and go into PC-Link mode, THEN open gpManager. I think it doesn't really give a notification that it's connected (besides the 'not connected' window not appearing). After it's connected you want to click 'SMC' at the top to get a view of all files on the SMC. There you copy over any files you want on your GP from your hard drive.

Don't know if that will help or not, but can't hurt. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice, but first let me ask an imprtant question:

When you said to add a Nes folder of roms onto the card- that is, when you said to create the folder to go inside the GPMM folder already on the card, was I NOT supposed to do it literally?

Because I just realized that if I drag the Littlejohn fxe from my hard drive, it will go into the GPMM folder, as will my unzipped roms. I was able to, at last, play a Nes game on my card just now.

Yet if I try to right-click and add a new folder directly onto the card itself, while it's in my reader, it crashes. And I can't seem to drag a folder onto the card, it's saying something about redundancy cycling or something. ????

Okay so there's hope...That's good....But do you know anything about this?

It sounds like a computer problem that really doesn't have anything to do with the GP32. It is just that you only started using the reader for SMCs now that you had a reason to (GP32) so you found the "glitch". It definetly sounds like a reader hardware or driver software error.

I would forget about messing with the GP32 and just get the computer working. Once the computer is reading cards ok then go to the next step of messing with the GP32. Moving ROMz and folders around on your SMC will not cause any problem on a properly working PC.

Have you scanned your computer for viruses and or spyware/adware? That can cause flakey computer crashes when doing stuff like this too.

ok, first before you go tearing your SMC reader and/or computer apart... try using GPManager to format the SMC while it's in the GP32 and also try a different SMC in the computer's SMC reader cause it maybe just the fact that it got formatted as a 128MB SMC that it's causing all sorts of errors atm.

If you need a USB driver for the GP32 check out firefly's page under the GP32 section.

mrdark posted on Oct 12 2005 at 12:28 AM said:
When you said to add a Nes folder of roms onto the card- that is, when you said to create the folder to go inside the GPMM folder already on the card, was I NOT supposed to do it literally?
The NES folder is within the GPMM folder (GP:/GPMM/NES). However, your FXEs must go in your GPMM (except with MAME, but that's a special case).

Holy shit- I'm excited and confused at the same time.

Here's where I'm at: With my redundant copy of Little Wizard, I kept all the folders on the card (5, it never had MOVIES). I emptied the folders though, so the card was empty of everything but the folder structure.

I then dragged the Littlejohn fxe. into GPMM, then drug a dozen unzipped game roms into it as well.

Holy fucking hell, after a month of waiting for this shit it WORKS.

I played Maniac Mansion, I played through some Castlevania 3 and Mega Man 3, and just for the hell of it I threw in Rambo just so I could hear some triumphant-ass action music.

So, okay, it looks like If I use this method and don't tamper with what i don't need to, I can add my emus and roms this way. If an SMC needs a new folder, I'll create it in the desktop and drag it and hope that doesn't cause any problems.

So I guess I'm good there...right? Aside from trying to figure out what's wrong with my reader, am I good to go?

To those who mentioned formatting the card, I don't think I can if I have WIndows XP, right? And the gpmanager- isn't that the same as trying to link to the PC (which it wouldn't let me do?)

Well keep me updated if you can, because I'm obviously getting farther. I can actually use the Nes compatability of the system, which kicks ass for me. But I wanna make sure I didn't do it in such a way that's gonna make the damn thing explode next or something.....

Crap, I gotta try Opensnes when I feel safe enough to do it! This rocks when it works!

'Cept I noticed some ghosting when I turn the system off mid-game... Don't know if that's normal.

And I don't know how to tell if this is at 166 like it said it would be...When littlejohn loads it says 133 mhz.......

mrdark posted on Oct 12 2005 at 05:01 AM said:
To those who mentioned formatting the card, I don't think I can if I have WIndows XP, right? And the gpmanager- isn't that the same as trying to link to the PC (which it wouldn't let me do?)

I suggested it to isolate your problem making folders on the SMC, if you can format it in XP then create folders its the previous dodgy format thats causing your problems. If you have formatted the card as a 128 you're just going to run into more problems later on if you ignore the problem now.

mrdark posted on Oct 12 2005 at 01:07 AM said:
'Cept I noticed some ghosting when I turn the system off mid-game... Don't know if that's normal.

yeah, that's normal...nothing to worry about... :)

mrdark posted on Oct 12 2005 at 01:07 AM said:
And I don't know how to tell if this is at 166 like it said it would be...When littlejohn loads it says 133 mhz.......

I don't think LittleJohn has a clock selector. I'd use DrMD if you want to test your clockspeed though.

Okay thanks, that bit of info does help. I hadn't heard of the ghosting so that scared me.

And I tried opensnes, with varying results (had to use the older file, neither of the new ones work well for me). And in that, I was able to select the speed. I assume that If my system couldn't go above 133, the emu wouldn't even have let me, but it did.

So I guess I'm okay there.... STill trying to get the card reader working now though, and I already have to format one of the cards because of earlier's nonsense. Ugh. I'll keep going though, I feel like I'm close to getting this to work like it should.

Is this regardless of which version I get? The one posted in that same paragraph that you linked me to is down thanks to Angelfire. There's like 4 or 5 versions of Opensnes now, so I don't know which one's best on my BLU+ with the settings you directed me to.

Yeah, I just tried those settings with an earlier build of Opensnes (the one from, I think, june of this year). I can try them with the newest version, but now I'm so confused as to which one's supposed to be the good one. Is Reesy even finished on it?

Just tried these settings with the new BLU+ version listed on the home page. Still get flaws like freezing if I accidentally hit the credits option, and I don't know if save states work yet. Again, can anyone tell me if there are different, better settings I need to be using with the Opensnes listed on the homepage?

Meanwhile I'll start adding some roms to the nes card- I wanna actually use this thing tonight.

If you check here you can find the latest release of reesy's OpenSNES9Xgp and even DrSMS. He hasn't put DrMD on his site yet but it's easily found at www.gp32x.de

Thanks, I'll try this version next to see if I get any better results. Some stuff is screwy like Shadowrun (which is supposed to be working fine) doesn't load and freezes, so I don't know if I have my settings right. Do you know if this version is still reccommended played under the settings that Shinneri linked to a few posts ago?

Back