Got My Replacement Pandora, A Couple Of Issues

jdbye

I had to send in my Pandora two months (TM) ago because it got the dreaded blue tint, and I finally got my replacement today.
But, off the bat, there are 2 hardware issues:
1. the 6 button gets stuck every time I press it and I have to peel it back up with a fingernail.
2. The D-Pad Right isn't like the other directions, it requires a lot of pressure to work, making fast paced games a lot harder to play. Plus, up-right and down-right requires so much pressure they're impossible to use.

I might be able to live with the first, since I don't have to type numbers that often, but the second makes me consider sending it in for repair again, though I'd really want to avoid that, having just gotten it back and missed it dearly the whole time. Could there be excess gunk or something causing either of them to not work properly? If so, would it be easily fixable by opening the Pandora or is the D-Pad/keypad stuck to the PCB?

Jdbye said:
I had to send in my Pandora two months (TM) ago because it got the dreaded blue tint, and I finally got my replacement today.
But, off the bat, there are 2 hardware issues:
1. the 6 button gets stuck every time I press it and I have to peel it back up with a fingernail.
2. The D-Pad Right isn't like the other directions, it requires a lot of pressure to work, making fast paced games a lot harder to play. Plus, up-right and down-right requires so much pressure they're impossible to use.

I might be able to live with the first, since I don't have to type numbers that often, but the second makes me consider sending it in for repair again, though I'd really want to avoid that, having just gotten it back and missed it dearly the whole time. Could there be excess gunk or something causing either of them to not work properly? If so, would it be easily fixable by opening the Pandora or is the D-Pad/keypad stuck to the PCB?
Are the screws too tight? Sometimes Craig employs gorillas to put these together.

Other than that someone might have gotten carried away with the the adhesive under the D-pad. Move it around for awhile and see if it loosens up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes there's excess plastic left under a few buttons, which makes them behave oddly. Sometimes buttons get stuck in but other than that have no more resistance than the correctly-functioning ones. Sometimes buttons are very hard to press. These usually work themselves out by the excess plastic rubbing off over a few days or weeks of regular use. But if you're feeling warranty-void-y, or some buttons just don't go down at all and you feel that the amount of pressure you'd need to apply to them to get them to work could break something important, you could scrape off the excess plastic yourself. There are a few disassembly guides floating around here somewhere.

I'd recommend giving those problem buttons a good workout, though.

OilySalmon said:
Sometimes there's excess plastic left under a few buttons, which makes them behave oddly. Sometimes buttons get stuck in but other than that have no more resistance than the correctly-functioning ones. Sometimes buttons are very hard to press. These usually work themselves out by the excess plastic rubbing off over a few days or weeks of regular use. But if you're feeling warranty-void-y, or some buttons just don't go down at all and you feel that the amount of pressure you'd need to apply to them to get them to work could break something important, you could scrape off the excess plastic yourself. There are a few disassembly guides floating around here somewhere.

I'd recommend giving those problem buttons a good workout, though.
The 6 button gets so thoroughly stuck when I press it there must be some extra gunk on it or something. The D-Pad I don't know, lifting it I can't see anything but the rubber thing it's stuck to (which I assume will make it hard to get at any excess plastic that might be there...) I don't feel like I'm going to break the D-Pad though, except for if I try to press up-right or down-right, so I guess I can give it a few days and see if it gets worn in (that was my plan anyway, unless someone told me otherwise)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are these issues still getting through Quality Control?

There really is no excuse for this at this stage in the process. Craig needs to kick some arses. having said that isn't it Craig that does QC. Sounds like he needs to kick his own arse.

Back