Gp2psx And More

Blalien

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hello,

Last week i got my GP2X..
I tried to use GP2PSX and it works but it's really slow..
does anyone know how i can change this?

I also tried some games from the download section, but they don't work like quake :s

i hope you can help me.

Greetings,
Danny

GP2PSX is slow, but that's just how it is. It's trying to emulate a very recent machine, and it's a difficult task.

As for Quake, what happens when you run it?

Oh, and questions like this should be in "I need help", k?

you could turn sound and music off and increase the frameskip to a reasonable level--and it will run slightly less slowly. Or you could do like I did, and just run extremely hard games where slow is fun--massive shooters for example.

next week I'm going to try attaching the psx 3d hardware to my system using bubblegum--that ought to speed things along too :p

hiya danny

welcome to the scene

gp2psx is in its ealry stages at the moment but speed will improve over time

about the quake do you have the pak files in the right directorys?

most games on gp2x require a lil fiddling round like putting things in the right directory file names etc

if you need any help withj anything drop me a Pm

What you do is, you press Y,Y,X,Y,Y,L,R,L,R,Y,A,B,X,Y,Up,Down,Left,Y,Y,X,R,Y,Y,Y,R,R,L,L,X,X,Y,Y,Up,Up,Left,Right,Left,Right,X,X,Y,A,B,X,L,A,B,X,R,Up,Upleft,Downleft,Downright,A,Y,X to make it go faster.

ROFL, you forgot the last 12 keys.

Up,Up,Right,Right,Down,Down,Left,Left,Start,Start,Select,Select.

The, you hit A+B+X+Y+L+R at once, and it goes fullspeed.

To the original poster...

Read Guy Fawlkes excellent guide to using the GP2x. It basically will tell you everything about how to use the machine. The PSX emu is very slow, the quake is difficult if you are new to this kind of thing, so...

Download DrMDx. Then stick in some roms. If you don't have any roms, then look harder......

Reaperman93010 posted on Feb 12 2006 at 12:37 PM said:
you could turn sound and music off and increase the frameskip to a reasonable level--and it will run slightly less slowly. Or you could do like I did, and just run extremely hard games where slow is fun--massive shooters for example.

next week I'm going to try attaching the psx 3d hardware to my system using bubblegum--that ought to speed things along too :p

The PSX has NO 3d hardware-- it's all done in software. All there is, is a single MIPS processor at ~34 MHz. It's not that hard to emulate, but there doesn't seem to be an ASM core as fast as say, the 68000 one used in DrMDx. :( Not YET anyway.

Though if it DID have dedicated 3D hardware it would probably never run in full speed on the Gp2x. Heh. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Geometry Transformation Engine

This engine is inside the main CPU chip. It gives it additional (vector-)math instructions used for the 3D graphics.

Features:

* Operating Performance of 66 MIPS
* 360,000 Flat-Shaded Polygons per second
* 180,000 texture mapped and light-sourced polygons per second

Sony originally gave the polygon count as:

* 4.5 billion flat-shaded polygons per second
* 500,000 texture mapped and light-sourced polygons per second

These figures were given as a ballpark figure for performance under optimal circumstances, and so are unrealistic under normal usage.

Graphics Processing Unit

This chip is separate to the CPU and handles all the 2D Graphics processing, which includes the transformed 3D polygons.

Features:

* Maximum of 16.7 Million Colors
* Resolutions from 256×224 to 640×480
* Adjustable frame buffer
* Unlimited Colour Lookup Tables
* Maximum of 24 Bit Color Depth
* Maximum of 4000 8×8 pixel sprites with individual scaling and rotation
* Emulation of simultaneous backgrounds (for parallax scrolling)
* Flat or Gouraud shading, and texture mapping
wiki

In a way you are both correct. The main CPU performs the 3D operations and the 2D accelerator blits the transformed vertices.

Extremely new to the scene, but I've got to say -- I got it to run immediately, and told it to run FF:Tactics.

Slow, yah, choppy, yah.

But oh, my -- so pretty! Speaking strictly as a sideliner, I'd venture the opinion that the gp2psx author's making sure the game visuals are emulated faithfully first. This is GREAT, because speed will definitely come... when I saw the opening my first thought was "Man, I want to show this to somebody!" The translation from original psx graphics to the GP2X's LCD is perfect, and it certainly proved that my box doesn't suffer from LCD flicker. I haven't seen anything that beautiful since the last summer's day, and the GP2X is a damn sight more temperate.

Sorry, waxing poetic. I salute you, Mr. GP2PSX dude!

Back