Gp2psx V0.35

Woah, soup_nazi (funny name, btw) FF7 runs constantantly on 30fps? Does everything work (except the not visible text)?

zodttd posted on Feb 8 2006 at 06:56 PM said:
I think the thing that will bother some people is the clipping of the screen to fit the GP2X instead of scaling it with my slow C code.

If the clipping isn't really much, that is much better than scaling (especially if it is faster too).

Last edited by a moderator:
it'll be in another topic but i don't find it... i'm compressing my bin with mocketiso, but it was possible to remove the video's from that file... how?

Final Fantasy VIII (PAL)
Won't work under any version I've tried (0.34f, 0.35, 0.35_unai). Works fine with ePSXe though
Really are you sure?
For me:
+ Gets to the menu.
I didn't hear music, that might have been as I was mashing the buttons to get to the main menu.
+ There was a sound effect when I pressed new game. God it was drawn out, hehe.
+ It is playing the FMV now, I wish I had overclocked the GP2X ^_^.
+ I cannot hear any FMV music.
This just might take forever.

Edit: I really do not understand your framerate thing zodttd, if I hit the volume control, I am on FS0, and it says fps 22 or something like that. But I am only seeing about 2 frames a second. I can count them.
Edit2: Worked out how to disable the sound and now there are multiple frames per second haha. *sob*
I wish I had upped the clock rate from 200mhz. :rolleyes:

WhiteFalcon posted on Feb 8 2006 at 09:15 PM said:
Paradox posted on Feb 8 2006 at 09:59 PM said:
its framerate not FPS
???

FPS = Frames per second = Framerate
I think he means FPS = First Person Shooter and fps = frames per second?

anyways, FF7 @ 30fps w00t!! :D

I dont think you get 30Fps playing FFVII maybe on the menu. I get around 4fps with 3frameskip on the battlefield in Final Fantasy Tactics. Overclocked 275.

ff7 doesnt run at all for me... just a black screen after "Loading Game".
worked it 0.34e (didnt worked in 0.34f)

EDIT: perhaps its just me but it also seems as if the controls are kind of delayed. but i can be wrong.

Quiest, yeah i get around 30fps all round. ranges from 28-32ish. the game itself is perfectly playable. in really small shops it seems to run at almost, dare i say it, full speed, even though the framecounter seems to disagree.
oh, it is slightly slower in battles, so far i've been getting around 24fps.

all in all, it's getting there. once frameskip is implemented properly it'll be easily playable :lol: Now just sit and wait...

I got hardware scaling working! It comes in handy so far in instances where the screen is smaller than the GP2X, such as in Final Fantasy Tactics. I'll do some performance testing before releasing it as an update.

My big question now is, now that hardware scaling can be implemented, can you scale DOWN? Right now I only know how to scale up, which isn't as helpful. I can't scale down since the framebuffer is only 320x240, so if I were to write a larger picture to it, it would of course crash. So anyone figure out how to use hardware scaling to scale down? :)

I'll keep you guys updated. :)

P.S. I know frameskipping is a pain right now. If you use frameskip 1 you won't get the speed boost from skipping rendering, and any higher than that and you get a time warp effect. Working on getting frameskipping to be useful, when it is, things will become a lot more playable.

what version of FF7 do you use?
i use a NTSC Version which allready worked in older releases.. really kind of strange

zodttd posted on Feb 8 2006 at 09:41 PM said:
I got hardware scaling working! It comes in handy so far in instances where the screen is smaller than the GP2X, such as in Final Fantasy Tactics. I'll do some performance testing before releasing it as an update.

My big question now is, now that hardware scaling can be implemented, can you scale DOWN? Right now I only know how to scale up, which isn't as helpful. I can't scale down since the framebuffer is only 320x240, so if I were to write a larger picture to it, it would of course crash. So anyone figure out how to use hardware scaling to scale down? :)

I'll keep you guys updated. :)

P.S. I know frameskipping is a pain right now. If you use frameskip 1 you won't get the speed boost from skipping rendering, and any higher than that and you get a time warp effect. Working on getting frameskipping to be useful, when it is, things will become a lot more playable.
I think that is what Paeryn did in his Hardware-accelerated SDL. Here. It is SDL, but you should be able to see how he did this in it, DJWillis has used the same code in his port of ScummVM I know.

Sonic-NKT, i'm using a pal version. tried the ntsc one, seemed to not work at first, but after leaving it for a while it did get to the intro sequence. playing the intro fmv right now (29fps if anyone cares).

try loading it and leave it for a bit. maybe it'll work eventually :unsure:

yes it works if you wait a bit...
but even if it shows arround 30fps all the time its still very slow in my opinion (overclocked) this could be because the game was meant to be running at 60fps, now 30 is only half speed at fs0.
kind of strange..

edit: now it shows me arround 10 ingame, this seems to be more true... :)
still playable, but the fights are in my opinion to slow to be any kind of fun yet ;)

Hanz: That's strange, it won't go past the "GAME LOADING" screen for me. I'll re-rip my Disk 1 later and see if I get the same problem again.

More games tested (see previous post above for settings used):

Driver (PAL):

0.34f: 17 framerate without sound.
0.35: 22-23 framerate without sound. Doesn't "feel" any faster though. FS1 improves things a tiny bit but FS2 or 3 causes old frames to be displayed.
0.35_unai: maybe a 1 frame increase on 0.35 but graphical corruption including yellow coming out as white and the car looking crumpled. Also the menu is corrupted at the bottom.

Other: Again the FMV intro is much faster, around 30 framerate and feels faster still with FS1 or 2.

Grand Theft Auto (PAL):

0.34f: 24 framerate without sound. Slight graphical glitching around the superbikes.
0.35: 32-35 framerate without sound. No graphical glitching I can see, but edges are cut off so can't see all off the HUD or all the text at the bottom of the screen. Reaching almost playable at FS1 which gives some improvement.
0.35_unai: same as 0.35 except 35-38 framerate and graphical glitching, mostly in menus but also a little in in-game text and maybe on some car edges.

Other: Yet again FMV intro is much improved, around 35 framerate and gains a noticeable improvement with FS1-3.

Overall, some great improvements; looking foward to the coming versions!

gta is still waaaay to slow to be playable, this cant be arround 37fps...

Sonic-NKT posted on Feb 8 2006 at 09:02 PM said:
gta is still waaaay to slow to be playable, this cant be arround 37fps...
I'm only reporting what I read. Besides, while driving the faster cars it feels pretty good, and is certainly an improvement on 0.34f.

Back