Gp2x Audio

WarmFluffyUK posted on Feb 9 2007 at 06:14 PM said:
That's like saying, you may not open the tin, but you may eat the chocolate within :lol:

Actually to be honest, I reckon the manual was badly translated. Some of the manuals I have seen in the past suffering from this are hilarious.

Actually, that's almost certainly the case. You see, they only state that "dissembling will void the system warranty."

Which of course, is a lot different from disassembling. So there you go folks, you can whip the back off and make your speaker mods, so long as you don't tell anyone about it. Ain't Engrish great?

In fact, you could probably defend your actions in a court of law thanks to that small mistake of theirs.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Feb 9 2007 at 11:19 PM said:
I don't think AC97 has anything to do with it as it will only output what is sent to it.
I was talking about L and R channels switching places randomly. This happens completely unpredictably, and I am 100% sure I send data correctly.

notaz posted on Feb 10 2007 at 01:00 AM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Feb 9 2007 at 11:19 PM said:
I don't think AC97 has anything to do with it as it will only output what is sent to it.
I was talking about L and R channels switching places randomly. This happens completely unpredictably, and I am 100% sure I send data correctly.

Yeah I hear that alot and it bugs me. It is especially noticeable in DrPocket SNES and DrMD as well as the NES emu.

I don't know if it is switching channels exactly or if it is panning to one or the other. It seems like it is panning (one channel gets slightly louder while the other quieter).

I would imagine it is a FW related thing as we seemed to notice after FW went to 2.0. It is strange but some apps don't seem to do it. It may be the way in which the audio driver is used but I don't know as that there is codin' stuff.

DaveC posted on Feb 10 2007 at 02:45 AM said:
I don't know if it is switching channels exactly or if it is panning to one or the other. It seems like it is panning (one channel gets slightly louder while the other quieter).
I heard this happening too, but it hasn't been noticeable since I have done the little speaker mod :)

WarmFluffyUK posted on Feb 10 2007 at 08:50 AM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 10 2007 at 02:45 AM said:
I heard this happening too, but it hasn't been noticeable since I have done the little speaker mod :)

I get it a *lot* under FW 2.1.0 when playing MP3s - both using the built-in player and in CraigAmp (I suppose CraigAmp doesn't use it's own mp3 rendering engine, but the one built into the firmware?). There's an audible "click" and then the channels are reversed. A few seconds later there's another click, and they're back where they're supposed to be.

This is most noticeable with headphones, so it's doubtful that the speaker mod will fix it - but that's not gonna stop me from having a go :)

D.

Are the 'ring' sounds in Sonic CD supposed to alternate channels? That's the only time I've ever noticed anything like the stereo switching. And yes, it seems like that would be at AC97 driver level... I can't figure out what else would cause that at least...

Maybe DJWillis or Orkie can help, I guess those have been diving a lot into the kernel source...

Back