Gp2x Coding Competition Results

DuFace posted on Feb 26 2006 at 05:39 AM said:
That's odd. GnuBoy doesnt work for me. It gets to the rom selection screen, but nothing is there? I'm on oddbots firmware.

you can either put your roms in the roms folder beneath the gnuboy executable, or roms/gameboy below the sd card root. then in gnuboy you hit select to get the settings menu and pick one or the other. the default is the first one.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you actually save a state? I can only get to, what I'm presuming, is the the load state screen... and it won't let me load since I haven't saved...

But yeah very impressed with most of the other entries. There are certainly some creative minds in the GP2X community. ^_^

A port won? I should have finished my port instead of trying to start from scratch :p

Congratulations to the three winners, and I'll be grabbing everything that interests me :)

And miq01 continues to surprise me by continuously making amazing games.

Now, maybe I am the only one who does not get it. But what did squidge mean when he said that he wasn't entering squidgesnes in the competition for "reasons that will become obvious"?

I know it hasn't any importance at all but I am sure yuo all know what curiosity is...

Leshrac posted on Feb 26 2006 at 01:39 PM said:
Now, maybe I am the only one who does not get it. But what did squidge mean when he said that he wasn't entering squidgesnes in the competition for "reasons that will become obvious"?

I know it hasn't any importance at all but I am sure yuo all know what curiosity is...
Other stuff. I think he is building his own handheld.

Hanz™ posted on Feb 26 2006 at 09:48 AM said:
Most useful thing for me is SDL2X, as I can read through the source code, and it helps me see how stuff is done.

Wow, this commentary has increased my moral :)

Waninkoko posted on Feb 26 2006 at 01:41 PM said:
Hanz™ posted on Feb 26 2006 at 09:48 AM said:
Most useful thing for me is SDL2X, as I can read through the source code, and it helps me see how stuff is done.

Wow, this commentary has increased my moral :)
Yep, I don't really plan to use it in the way you probably expected but it will be really useful. I will read through your example, see which of your functions it used, and then look at your functions to see what SDL functions they used. The joystick code has already really helped out just by reading it.
If you wanna know what you should improve in it, I will tell you once I have read it more thoroughly (sp?).

Whack Penguin has been mirrored to try and help out on the load.

Whacky Penguin

The competition release is there along with the latest source code for the game. Please feel free to grab it and tweak it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Chimpoid

as a temporary fix i have made a mirror of the official results page with the full details on each release, they are missing the screenshots at the moment as i wanted to get the page online asap so you can check out the winners and download the entries. i will try and get the screenshots online later today.

results page at http://emuholic.emuboards.com/modules.php?...howpage&pid=148

deadlychicken22 posted on Feb 26 2006 at 01:54 PM said:
damn! I can't get to the website :( Is it down?

The site is working for me, I'm currently downloading your entry. ;)

The TV-Out utility is one to look out for, enables fullscreen DrMDx. :D

Plenty of great entries, I've just been playing Vektar, I really like it. And so far that's all I've downloaded, so plenty more fun to come.

Thank you to everyone who entered the competition.:)

Thanks everybody for your kind comments about Vektar. I have a clear idea about what version 1.0 will actually be and I'll be releasing it shortly, depending on how long it takes me to solve certain technical problems. Most likely another two weeks or so.

Note that there is a bug in the competition version where if you play a second game without exiting first, you won't get free ships right away; I forgot to reset the "next free ship score" variable. Sorry about that; you need to exit and restart the program between games.

I thought there were a number of impressive entries:

BubbleTrain is great and a deserving victor.

Beat2X is a lot of fun!

I haven't seen much mention of Extraterrestres but I think it's a very solid and fun game; the artwork is really nice and the variety of options makes it interesting to keep playing.

Ladykiller has pretty interesting gameplay and is coded very well with a nice look.

Vanguard Wars gets pretty absorbing once you get the hang of it.

Radek's demo is very impressive. If he builds a game that makes good use of his blitting routines it could be really great.

GP General looks very promising but with the text being unreadable it's not really playable yet. If MiSaTo keeps working on it this will be a very popular game!

Pulplife has some fairly nifty graphics and a nice cinematic feel to it, but I haven't really got the hang of it yet.

Those are the only ones I have gotten to so far, but I'm looking forward to trying Blockrage2x, Whacky, Yahtzee, PokeParadox, and of course Goitfights.

I don't have any games for other consoles so I'm not really into emulators myself but from the look of it, Gnuboy2x was an impressive and important release.

What fun!

Dzz posted on Feb 26 2006 at 04:01 PM said:
I haven't seen much mention of Extraterrestres but I think it's a very solid and fun game; the artwork is really nice and the variety of options makes it interesting to keep playing.

I've just finished playing it for the first time and I was thinking exactly the same thing. To me it felt like the scrolling marioworld levels. Nice work deadlychicken22.

I like it. :)

@Dzz, I'm looking forward to the next release of Vektar I love the visual style.

Edit: just started up Radek's demo and I am impressed. Back to the Amiga days. :D

Back