Gp2x Community Game Contest - Games Ready To Download!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm sure everybody heard about the gp2x Community Game Contest.
All 11 entries are available NOW!

Be sure to test them all out and play them, 'cause there is a community-favourite prize!

More informations and all the downloads can be found here: http://gp2x.psymastr.com/entries.html

Thanks go to psymastr and everybody who helped with the contest!

EvilDragon posted on Dec 18 2006 at 03:38 PM said:
Well, I'm sure everybody heard about the gp2x Community Game Contest.
All 11 entries are available NOW!

Be sure to test them all out and play them, 'cause there is a community-favourite prize!

More informations and all the downloads can be found here: http://gp2x.psymastr.com/entries.html

Thanks go to psymastr and everybody who helped with the contest!
Also some people in the Other Topic requested a download of an archive containing all the games in one.

Such a download is available here.

Now its done uploading, it can be downloaded above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr 2X posted on Dec 18 2006 at 03:57 PM said:
In your Crapong, sometime the ball stops bouncing vertically, and it's impossible to continue to play.
Yes, something i didnt fix before the competition. Almost purposely. I mean, it wouldnt be as crap otherwise, would it?

Edit: but thank you for reporting that.

sam fisher posted on Dec 18 2006 at 04:07 PM said:
Mr 2X posted on Dec 18 2006 at 03:57 PM said:
In your Crapong, sometime the ball stops bouncing vertically, and it's impossible to continue to play.
Yes, something i didnt fix before the competition. Almost purposely. I mean, it wouldnt be as crap otherwise, would it?

Edit: but thank you for reporting that.
on purpose.
k.

Games are great! I have a question with squares. The music does load for me (as I have it in the mnt/audio/ folder) and the game loads but i'm stuck on the main screen. I've tried overclocking the game but still stuck...

Downloading them all now. Can't wait to try all the releases, even Crapong. :p

prairiefire posted on Dec 18 2006 at 02:27 PM said:
Games are great! I have a question with squares. The music does load for me (as I have it in the mnt/audio/ folder) and the game loads but i'm stuck on the main screen. I've tried overclocking the game but still stuck...

change the dir to mnt/sd/audio/ thats should work

also SWEET cant wait to play them

Well, I've played a few of them. I couldn't get Orkie's game to work, you don't die on Grow if you don't press anything, Squares was very enjoyable but I couldn't change the config for some reason, so I had to rename my audio folder, Altitude was excellent, very polished, Bare Fist Fighter was fun but I don't enjoy that kind of game much, I liked Laser2x but I don't want to have the runtime on the root of my SD, and GoitGP was OK, but the lack of a quit option was irritating (I understand that this is fixed in the latest build).

Phew, that's almost all of them.

ill look into the config file problem, i used the default /mnt/sd/audio as its the gp2x standard and while it should be changeable to anything you want it seems there is a problem as two people have the same problem. ill update when i find out more.

update- i tried changing the path to /mnt/sd/music and the folder name to music and it worked fine.

one other tip, make sure you delete the playlist.m3u and settings.dat before making any changes otherwise it will not rescan.

nickspoon posted on Dec 18 2006 at 09:05 PM said:
Well, I've played a few of them. I couldn't get Orkie's game to work, you don't die on Grow if you don't press anything, Squares was very enjoyable but I couldn't change the config for some reason, so I had to rename my audio folder, Altitude was excellent, very polished, Bare Fist Fighter was fun but I don't enjoy that kind of game much, I liked Laser2x but I don't want to have the runtime on the root of my SD, and GoitGP was OK, but the lack of a quit option was irritating (I understand that this is fixed in the latest build).

use my new version bizznatch!

g4m3r posted on Dec 18 2006 at 07:47 PM said:
Downloading them all now. Can't wait to try all the releases, even Crapong. :p
Lol. Should I release a fix with the angle bug gone, I mean, is there any point lol.

Goity posted on Dec 18 2006 at 09:13 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Dec 18 2006 at 09:05 PM said:

use my new version bizznatch!
Cheating....

My little roundup of all 11 games:

Airplayr - Superbly made air hockey, with great attention to detail. Playability is spot-on. At first, I thought the widgets were too big and the goals too small to ever possibly score, but I just played out a 5-4 game (after TWO overtimes when drawn). The snazzy backgrounds, music, and menus are all top-notch. Well done. 8/10

Altitude - Impressive gravity game with tons of variation. Sort've Lacuna meets the dungeon sections of Super Mario Bros. Difficult in parts, especially when one powerup runs out and another begins (have to be concentrating for the switch), but definitely has that "one more go" quality to keep you coming back! 8/10

Bare Fist Fighter - Extremely impressive Punch Out!! style game with sumptuous animation. Gameplay is reasonably simple in that you can't move around, only control your blows--but in a way that makes it a more complex fighter). It's a genuine challenge, too. In the end, it's more of a reaction game than anything, but that doesn't make it any less fun. 8/10

Card Master -- Great start to what could be a knockout game. Uses the simple "compare stats" card game in a small world you can explore. Love the isometric pixel-graphics. There's not a lot to do in it as yet, but so much potential here to add areas, tournaments, decks and game types. 5/10

Crapong - Well, it's Pong and rather crap, with random speedups and glitches. Gets 1/2 a point for the name, and 1/2 a point for the sound effects. Nice one, sam :) 1/10

Crossroads - Love the idea, but needs some tweaking. The controls are a little unresponsive, and it would be nice to be able to define your own keys. I'm also unsure of the losing conditions -- is it merely a time limit? I'd love to see a continuous game mode where you only die when too much traffic gets stacked up. I love the austere look, reminds me of Trashman and Lawnmower Simulator, that kind of thing. Will be carefully watching for new releases! 6/10

GoitGeePee - Goity-flavored Kart racer. The mode 7 effect is pulled off well, but the controls and main character animation (all 2 frames of it) are a bit duff. The character selection screen is a riot though! I look forward to progress on this game, but for now: 3/10

Grow - Clearly unfinished but I would love to see what this becomes! The graphics are great, and splitting your line in two is brilliant, however it seems to be a useless move at the moment. I assume there will eventually be obstacles and such which will require this action? Also, the tunnel edges need more variation and danger. Out of all the games, this could in time be the one I play the most--I really hope the author continues working on it. 4/10

Laser2X - Excellent combination of Deflektor laser-puzzling with the "bits" placement of something like The Incredible Machine. A real mindbender, but very clever. Also fun to see it done in Java on the GP2X! I very much enjoyed playing this, thank you. 8/10

Squares - Wonderful! Eat the black dots, avoid the red. Complexity added by various powerups (God Mode!). Controls very well on the GP2X, and using the user's own MP3s is brilliant. I'll be loading up a King Crimson playlist -- "Red" and "Starless & Bible Black" ;) 9/10

Stairway to Heaven - heh. Barely a game, as Orkie said. Hold the button while green, let go before it turns red. As far as I could tell, there's no variation in duration. Fun for a few seconds, just to reach the top! 1/10

All in all, a sweet batch of new games, including 5 or 6 I will definitely be spending more time with, and a couple more with amazing potential.

Good job to all concerned, and now I'm feeling guilty I didn't jump on the donation bandwagon in time. Next year, definitely! EDIT: donation made, thanks for pointing that out Guyfawkes!

How do we vote on the community favorite prize (I haven't decided mine yet...)?

Nice summary, I will be checking the games out shortly myself as I have finally fixed my PC, been using my laptop all day which I cant stand using. BTW: I think people can still donate up until when the results are out in January ;)

gaterooze posted on Dec 18 2006 at 10:40 PM said:
My little roundup of all 11 games:

Crapong - Gell, it's Pong and rather crap, with random speedups and glitches. Gets 1/2 a point for the name, and 1/2 a point for the sound effects. Nice one, sam :) 1/10
Not to defend it, but they aren't random, and there is ONE glitch. That was pointed out to me, but I left it in there to keep it crap. The speed ups happen every 600 frames. And as it has NO problem keeping a steady framerate of 60, lol what a surprise, its every 10 seconds. Count if you want. It's better if you put a "music.ogg" in the folder aswell.

But still, 1/10, I didn't expect to be scored that high! I wonder if opinions would of been different if I gave it decent graphics and, hence, made it less crap lol.

gaterooze posted on Dec 18 2006 at 10:40 PM said:
Crossroads - Love the idea, but needs some tweaking. The controls are a little unresponsive, and it would be nice to be able to define your own keys. I'm also unsure of the losing conditions -- is it merely a time limit? I'd love to see a continuous game mode where you only die when too much traffic gets stacked up. I love the austere look, reminds me of Trashman and Lawnmower Simulator, that kind of thing. Will be carefully watching for new releases! 6/10
Thanks very much :D

Yes, there's a 60-second time limit. I sort-of cheated out of doing an ending screen by having it go back to the title screen. I'll do the continuous mode - I built the game engine so I could add new modes. The controls are unresponsive because there's a bug in the part of the engine that checks whether there is a car on a piece of road or not. I really need to sort that out, maybe recode it altogether, because it's a mess.

Expect a new release soon :)

Guyfawkes posted on Dec 18 2006 at 10:44 PM said:
BTW: I think people can still donate up until when the results are out in January ;)

Done! :lol:

gaterooze posted on Dec 18 2006 at 05:40 PM said:
Airplayr - Superbly made air hockey, with great attention to detail. Playability is spot-on. At first, I thought the widgets were too big and the goals too small to ever possibly score, but I just played out a 5-4 game (after TWO overtimes when drawn). The snazzy backgrounds, music, and menus are all top-notch. Well done. 8/10
Thanks for the review gaterooze! The tournament starts on the easy difficulty, which is still fairly challenging for new users. Try Quick Game > Trainer, the AI on that difficulty has a slower speed when covering its own net, and never smacks the puck. :)

I downloaded all entries (thanks for the complete archive Sam!), and am having loads of fun trying them all out. Hopefully we'll see more and more GP2X homebrew endeavours from now on :)

- Alex

Back