Gp2x Community Game Contest Only 3 Days Left!

Nagelfar posted on Dec 13 2006 at 01:30 PM said:
GP2X_Coder posted on Dec 13 2006 at 07:17 PM said:
Nagelfar posted on Dec 13 2006 at 11:26 AM said:
I'm pretty interested in that PunchOut Style game, to whoever wrote it, if you read this, could you post a gameplay vid, please?

As requested the video isn't the best having trouble with my capture card but here is something to hold you over till the game is released.

Video Link
Thx a lot, very fluid animations indeed, good job. Seems you have A LOT of free time on your hand *g*

Thanks. The game has close to 1000 frames of animation the extreme version will have about 9000. I try to spend as much time as I can coding. I get yelled at all of the time from my wife that I like the computer better than her. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
The exciting, dynamic, positively awe-inspiring video of Crossroads

Apologies for the lack of sound, my screen recorder sucks - but you get the general idea :)

Looks fantastic!

edit: that was directed at Bare Fist Fighter, but Crossroads looks fantastic too, exactly the type of game I like playing...

bare fist fighter looks awesome. the announcer voice could use some work though. anyway that will probably be the first game i try when the downloads are up. similar to punch out yet seems unique enough to stand on its own.

nickspoon posted on Dec 13 2006 at 08:35 PM said:

Apologies for the lack of sound, my screen recorder sucks - but you get the general idea :)
Nice, simple but fun and pretty original. Just the sort of game I like. That must of been quite simple to code, but then I may be wrong, and SDL is a lot harder than fenix. No 4 minute pong port lol.

sam fisher posted on Dec 13 2006 at 08:45 PM said:

Nice, simple but fun and pretty original. Just the sort of game I like. That must of been quite simple to code, but then I may be wrong, and SDL is a lot harder than fenix. No 4 minute pong port lol.
I can't say the coding was difficult. Obviously there's no special functions to check whether objects collide, and I spent half an hour wondering why cars wouldn't move properly and noticed that I'd forgotten to put a break;, but it was very easy to code movements and collisions, etc. Not much of a challenge, especially as I just stole all of my init stuff from my other projects, but I didn't want to write something stupidly complex in such a short space of time :)

nickspoon posted on Dec 13 2006 at 08:53 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Dec 13 2006 at 08:45 PM said:

I can't say the coding was difficult. Obviously there's no special functions to check whether objects collide, and I spent half an hour wondering why cars wouldn't move properly and noticed that I'd forgotten to put a break;, but it was very easy to code movements and collisions, etc. Not much of a challenge, especially as I just stole all of my init stuff from my other projects, but I didn't want to write something stupidly complex in such a short space of time :)
Gah, SDL words seem so complicated! A break ends a loop, right? Gah, init functions, gah!

I want to play that - NOW!

nickspoon posted on Dec 13 2006 at 09:23 PM said:
A break; ends a loop or exits a switch. It's standard C.
I know, I just don't usually use them, they are in fenix aswell. Just that if your not sure about something, it's always best to ask, you know? So that you do not make mistakes lol.

sam fisher posted on Dec 13 2006 at 04:47 PM said:
I'm top in my class in all my A levels, Bar one, now, so I'm sure i'll compensate for that.
Did you just feel the need to state that, or what?

- Alex

Goity posted on Dec 13 2006 at 09:34 PM said:
the controls are quite difficult to use though
You get used to it, it's just the initial rotating the playing field 45 degrees clockwise (so you know which button to press) that gets you.

Alex. posted on Dec 13 2006 at 10:07 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Dec 13 2006 at 04:47 PM said:
I'm top in my class in all my A levels, Bar one, now, so I'm sure i'll compensate for that.
Did you just feel the need to state that, or what?

- Alex
Hell yeah, its good to rise to the top of the "creme de la creme", know what I mean?

The reason you must wait till the 18th, is the organization of all the entries, and the layout of the pages and stuff. Its all been settled, as I was crammed with work when that rule was made, and I have a tad more time now. It may come sooner, I just want to make sure everything works wonders. :)

PSyMastR posted on Dec 13 2006 at 10:13 PM said:
The reason you must wait till the 18th, is the organization of all the entries, and the layout of the pages and stuff. Its all been settled, as I was crammed with work when that rule was made, and I have a tad more time now. It may come sooner, I just want to make sure everything works wonders. :)
Cool.

That's great to hear Psy. Thanks again for all your work :)

- Alex

And we'll try to set up some sort of voting system that's as secure as possible by new year's, when everyone has had time to play everything. Without having discussed this with Psy or anything, I think we may go for that Grand Prix style thing where everyone writes a list of all the eleven games, giving them a unique score from zero to ten. It's basically like a numbered top eleven list with the numbers reversed.
Everyone who wants to vote makes one of those and submits it (maybe through this forum) and we'll check them all and stuff. Suspicious entries would be investigated further in order to prevent cheating. There's ALWAYS a way to cheat, we just have to figure out how best to prevent it. The only way to get close to eliminating that chance would be to survey the voting personally. You can't rely on computers for that... It's difficult.

Back