Gp2x Dead?

On a side note: Is the stick really that terrible Azure?
Well, you get used to it over time. When I first got the GP2X I found the stick unplayable. It was really stiff and caused a lot of problems in shooters and what not. Over time I grew used to its stiffness, though it still certainly isn't as good as the GP32's stick. However, it's not so bad it should stop someone from buying a GP2X as it's still certainly rather playable.

How could GPH themselves not realize that the GP2X's joystick sucks? At least with GP32, it takes years for the joystick/buttons to deteriorate. And even then, they were fixable enough to be comfortably useable.
My GP32's buttons started deteriorating after a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the GP2X does what it does, with style. I bought as it is the perfect choice for my needs, emulation..

The joystick, I think is fine, no problems there, build quality fine and why do we need a commercal game to prove the machine, buy a psp or nintendo if you want that sort of game. There are litterally 1,000s of top class games available anyway, maybe some people are so used to modern games they forget the gameplay aspect and just look at the glossy graphics.

all in all if you dont like it, move on..

E

How could GPH themselves not realize that the GP2X's joystick sucks? At least with GP32, it takes years for the joystick/buttons to deteriorate. And even then, they were fixable enough to be comfortably useable.

You don't even own one. Personally, I do not see what all the hype about the stick is for... I am impartial. Sure, it isn't the best in the damn world. I am on the MKI stock cap... and mine works just fine...

So quit your complaining... when I am in game, I do not see any issues with it...

You don't even own one. Personally, I do not see what all the hype about the stick is for... I am impartial. Sure, it isn't the best in the damn world. I am on the MKI stock cap... and mine works just fine...

So quit your complaining... when I am in game, I do not see any issues with it...

Stock cap? Ick you should try a replacement cap they are cheap.

To Jag and other flamers, if you don't like it just don't buy it and move on to something else, simple. All of this pointless bashing is retarded and a big waste of time.

if somewhat not pleases you, you can alter it to your zestfulness. try this on your gameboy!! and now sell your gp2x, daddy can soothe you! ;)

I love translators. :lol:

Stock cap? Ick you should try a replacement cap they are cheap.

To Jag and other flamers, if you don't like it just don't buy it and move on to something else, simple. All of this pointless bashing is retarded and a big waste of time.

Yeah - I deeply regret flaming you on your caps... the 14 dollar price point was out of my reach. :lol:

But yeah - I am going to try to get a replacement cap, it is the least I could do for my GP2X. I've tried so hard to find something that could dupe as a cap - to no avail...

I'll just have to suck it up and buy one. :D

Anyways im outa here people ive had enough of this plastic crap that you lot love, the graphics are shite and generally its just a piece of crap IMO.
Good riddance.

Anyone who can't play Sonic 3 or other 16-bit classics for over 10 seconds should have never bought a GP2X in the first place.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was a previous GP32 owner and I think Gamepark have done a FANTASTIC job on the GP2X! Admittedly, the GP32 was a piece of plastic with some nice features, but not enough to keep you occupied forever.

The GP2X however has had everything improved about it, and for your information, Stepp, I find the joystick quite comfy. If you're unhappy, buy the joystick mod. I bought my 2X yesterday and the vibrant screen, the possibility of a full-speed PSX emulator, and full-speed Megadrive games have made my day.

There's already a massive library of games for the GP2X available with its emulators, and as for the homebrew scene - it's all free, but if you don't like it, well, frankly, you can fuck off. I've been playing through Rocket Knight Adventures for the Megadrive and it's been hugely enjoyable on the 2X, as well as going through Metal Slug. These are TWO GAMES, out of THOUSANDS!

If you can't see the advantages there, I'm afraid you're not even a gamer, let alone 'GP32 Hardcore'. Amusing.

Just a little story. A friend dropped over for a few hours yesterday. He had a play with the GP2X and started off with some homebrew games I had on the SD. He never stopped :) He was enjoying Lady Killer, Spout, Kobo, Bubble Train, Vektar and a couple others so much he lost track of time.

No good homebrew my arse.

btw the stick feels crummy in menus, but when you're actually playing a game, it's quite good. I got further than I ever had before in H.E.R.O. using it, and that was always a very precise game.

Meh. I mean, I have people give me wierd looks because they see I have four children - children, mind you. Innocent beings who don't shout, yell or misbehave. People today have no education regarding empathy or understanding others - they exist in the vacuum that is themselves, so this kind of thread hardly surprises me.

Me? I like liking people for who they are. Admittedly, some folks try to make that difficult ;)

GP2X:
Showed it off at the D&D game. Most of the guys are World of Warcraft junkies, and two even said somthing to the effect of "Man, I haven't played any other games since I got on WoW."

However, two got hooked. Jakob fell in love with DrMd - why? Because he has a Genesis. Dallen got hooked on Beat2x - why? Because he loves rythm games.

Recall that Ian was impressed because the GP2X plays DivX. My cousin Paul was impressed because it played so many games, and my 9yo daughter, Maria, loves it for the same reason.

The GP2X has lots to offer folks who look. Did I have some frustrating issues getting things set up? Sure. I'm thinking on ways to help other newcomers, usability being a thing I do at work.

Lastly:
There's a difference between sharing one's feelings and sharing one's opinions - and a difference between saying "This doesn't work for me" and saying "You all are stupid for liking this junk."

People love to hide behind their computers, stirring up crap.

This makes me remember the scene in Jay and Silent Bob Strike back, where they go to all the houses of people that have mad-mouthed them on the internet.

- It's always some huge house in the burbs'.
- It's always some tween kid who answers the door and is the culprit.
- It's always Jay and Bob who kick the crap out of him.

I wish I could do that.

\\this is a repost but I think my post should have originally been in this topic//
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there is a good amount of quality homebrew for the gp2x and i think some people overlook that and instead focus only on emulators and interpreters of commercial games like doom and quake. here is some quality actual homebrew which also includes ports of homebrew computer games. games coded specifially for gp2x are numbered:

1)vektar: great shooter made specifically for gp2x. everyone with a gp2x should have played this.

beats of rage: fun beat em up engine that has many mods available. regular bor was on gp32 but i don't think openbor was on it which is also included in the gp2x port. mods available at borgeneration.com among other places.

cdogs: fun old dos game with a good port. has a good selection of user created levels though they are hard to find. I did however find two sites with mission downloads: http://cyberdogs2001.tripod.com/downloads.htm and http://www.uta.fi/~antti.hukkanen/cdogs.html

heroes2x: port of a game i had never heard of before but really fun and cool effects with certain powerups. it is kind of like a modern much more involving snake or nibbles clone at least in quest mode. there is also other modes of play too like deathmatch. cool feature is autopilot which keeps you from running into yourself or others unless they are on fire or you are trapped into a collision. this makes the game more strategic and keeps you from dying from stupid mistakes or controls not doing what you wanted. highly reccommended.

nethack: very good and well adapted to the gp2x port of the extremely old yet extremely fun rpg.
download not in archive though as it considered to early to be put there.

ladykiller: port of gp32 game that is a lot of fun. flip the tiles and avoid the enemies to reveal pictures of anime girls. gameplay is very addictive.

minigame project: port from gp32 yet with added games for gp2x. lots of fun little games for gp2x.

extender: better version of extender from minigame project with recap of how well you did and high score table.

2)levelshmup: made just for gp2x and is a pretty fun and challenging shooter. only gripe is enemies take too many shots to kill.

rockdoger: fun side scrolling game where you avoid being hit by asteroids by dodging them, using your shield or blowing them up. i think this is a pc or linux port.

kobo deluxe: simple yet fun port of shooter availabe for many platforms. destroy the cores of the bases.

spout: fun port of gp32 abstract shooter where you try to reach as high as you can using your exhaust to carve out a path for you.

3) tilematch: fun puzzle game similar to zoo keeper for nintendo ds. made just for gp2x as far as i know.

4) startrucker: very fun space taxi clone with cool backgrounds. made just for gp2x and submitted in the competition earlier this year.

freedroid: port of pc game which is an enhanced clone of paradroid. very fun and very tough yet something you will want to keep coming back too.

noiz2sa: port of abstract shooter pc game made by kenta cho. puts you in bullet hell yet is oddly releaxing because of the simple shapes and nice music. simple well made game that i keep coming back to. would really love to see more of his games ported to gp2x.

supertux: port of linux game that is somewhat of a clone of mario yet has it own look and well designed levels.

smashgp2x: port of gp32 clone of super smash bros. chaotic fun.

(Extraterrestres would be here as well and is made just for gp2x but currently doesn't work with firmware 2.0 though the author is working on fixing it. if you have firmware 1.4 give it a try. fast paced game where you try not to get stuck at left of screen. reminds me of icy tower in its simple addictiveness. one of my favorites til fw 2.0 broke it)

(many others would list beat2x as well but those games just aren't my thing so i wont count it for my list)

so there is 17 (not counting extender seperately) quality homebrew games with 4 made exclusively for gp2x. some others aren't available for gp32 or have features that the gp32 versions don't have. considering the amount of replayabiliy these games games there is quite a lot of fun to be had on the gp2x playing just legal freeware homebrew games alone. not bad considering the amount of time the gp2x has been out. there is also a decent amount of very high quality homebrew being worked on such as war chaos. i really dont see how people can say there is a lack of quality homebrew for the gp2x.

@Crazy Goat

Crazy Goat said:
if somewhat not pleases you, you can alter it to your zestfulness. try this on your gameboy!! and now sell your gp2x, daddy can soothe you! ;)

I love translators. :lol:

No translator, weak retrospections on my english lessons on scool (a long time ago). :D

look @ this-> http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?t=2173

the better solution! ;)

For those of us that can't read German, here's a Babelfish translation of ED's post :D

Radek, which a straight few Mods developed, which will be available here all in the Shop, has today a few DPad Mod prototypes on the journey to me sent.
If everything folds, these are soon in the Shop available (to modden or modden leave) :)

<Picture of DPad>

Already with me arrived: A plate, which is put simply into the gp2x to diminish (without soldering or the like) and it makes possible to attach normal 4-Wege-Controller (without thereby the stick, it remains perfectly usable).
Thus one could cultivate oneself e.g. a Joystick haven to the gp2x also :)

Also soon a plate will be available, with which one can the stick in the MK1 45 degrees (then thus like the MK2 stick is).

More news follow then shortly :)

How would this mod work? would it physically require opening the GP2X and tinkering around with it (invalidating the warranty) or is it something along the lines of taking the cap off and slapping something new on top?

I agree with the topic creator. I get a plain, unstable handheld just to be able to play nothing but the @&*!ing emulators. Just look at the recent upload list. Emulators, skins, boot sounds, more boot sounds, no homebrew = FAIL.

( which gets boring after 20 mins of playing games for about 10 secs each )
That perfectly supports my claim that while everyone with a GP2X is playing their emulators and nothing else, they are secretly not really having fun playing the games since they only play them for a short amount of time.

Unlike the DS and PSP which are just burning up the internet with their sweet homebrew apps and massive community of support... oh wait, that's the GP2X. Do you mean no homebrew every 5 minutes = FAIL? Because there's homebrew out there, just check the files... if you have a problem with the frequency of homebrew apps being released, get off your ass and code some.

How would this mod work? would it physically require opening the GP2X and tinkering around with it (invalidating the warranty) or is it something along the lines of taking the cap off and slapping something new on top?

I think it's the control from an N-gage, but I'm not sure.

I am guessing there's a lot more to it than just a new cap, probably had to alter the case and replace/alter some electronics. *scratches head*

I think it's the control from an N-gage, but I'm not sure.

I am guessing there's a lot more to it than just a new cap, probably had to alter the case and replace/alter some electronics. *scratches head*

It is the pad of the N-GageQD!! not only the cap, the whole D-Pad. I think after this mod you have the same precise d-pad like the N-gageQD.

Back