Gp2x Dosbox Configuration Util

noisome

Hey all.

Not sure if this is the right place for this post or not, but I've put together a clone of DosboxBlast by StreaK, except updated with the newest Dosbox key codes.

It has executables for Windows, Linux and Mac (any processor, hopefully). Its in development stages, but it seems to work reliably. Let me know if there are any problems.

Newest version:
Aug 6, 2008 - GP2X_Dosbox_Config v0.2b.zip

Older versions:
Aug 6, 2008 - GP2X_Dosbox_Config v0.2a.zip
Aug 1, 2008 - GP2X_Dosbox_Config v0.2.zip
Jul 31, 2008 - GP2X_Dosbox_Config v0.1alpha.zip

Thanks,

Noisome

Noisome said:
I've put together a clone of DosboxBlast by StreaK, except updated with the newest Dosbox key codes.
This is great, looks like youve beaten StreaK to it. He was going to update his version.
I have some suggetions to improve your version
dosbox.conf section:
core=dynamic
cycles (could be lower ~800) maybe add a control for this too?
all of the sound freq could be set to 11025 (maybe make it a dropdown)
the overclock dropdown doesnt have any numbers in it to select

GP2X Virtual Keyboard (maybe change the name it might confuse people, to me the VK is the osd)
Your setup for the assigning the buttons looks good. The only thing I could find to add to this is the ability to assign buttons to manage the osd's debug and vk, the zoom features, the built-in cycles/frameskip mappers.
There could be a checkbox to add all of the mappings needs to handle the VK keyboard keys to the mapper.txt.

Final thing is, can you release your source so if you decide to drop it someone can continue on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Final thing is, can you release your source so if you decide to drop it someone can continue on it?

I was certainly going to release the source once its more completed as there still are tons of additions going to be added. But I will definitely release it! :)

Your setup for the assigning the buttons looks good. The only thing I could find to add to this is the ability to assign buttons to manage the osd's debug and vk, the zoom features, the built-in cycles/frameskip mappers.
There could be a checkbox to add all of the mappings needs to handle the VK keyboard keys to the mapper.txt.

I add that to my list. I also will implement the mod key feature as well.

GP2X Virtual Keyboard

Can you recommend a name? Not quite sure what to call it.

This is great, looks like youve beaten StreaK to it. He was going to update his version.

I hope StreaK isn't upset, as that was not my intention and I should have asked first.

I have some suggetions to improve your version
dosbox.conf section:
core=dynamic
cycles (could be lower ~800) maybe add a control for this too?
all of the sound freq could be set to 11025 (maybe make it a dropdown)
the overclock dropdown doesnt have any numbers in it to select

That's on the agenda. Planned on getting the first parts out for quick configuration and then the rest if anyone was interested. The overclock part hasn't been implemented yet but added to keep the layout similar to StreaK's. Thank you and please keep the suggestions coming!

Noisome

Edited: Quotes don't seem to be working properly here :-/

Sounds interesting. :) Is this tool for usage straight onto the GP2X to or only over a PC OS? I would like to see a easy way to config the GP2X Dosbox onto the Handheld without a external PC. :)

Noisome said:
I was certainly going to release the source once its more completed as there still are tons of additions going to be added. But I will definitely release it! :)
Great!

I add that to my list. I also will implement the mod key feature as well.

Super!

Can you recommend a name? Not quite sure what to call it.

Maybe GP2X Controls/Mapper something along that lines

I hope StreaK isn't upset, as that was not my intention and I should have asked first.

No idea, he responded to a PM I sent him when I knew the GP2X buttons needed to be assigned different numbers.

That's on the agenda. Planned on getting the first parts out for quick configuration and then the rest if anyone was interested. The overclock part hasn't been implemented yet but added to keep the layout similar to StreaK's. Thank you and please keep the suggestions coming!

Sounds good.

Noisome
Edited: Quotes don't seem to be working properly here :-/

You have a bad /quote, its the one with Pickle in it

The GP2X overclock feature that StreaK has, how is that used? I am unable to see where it changes anything.

Thanks!

Noisome

Noisome said:
The GP2X overclock feature that StreaK has, how is that used? I am unable to see where it changes anything.

Thanks!

Noisome
I havnt used his version a whole lot but the only thing I can guess is that it would run the cpuspeed binary before it runs dosbox.
Personally I control my overclock through gmenu2x

Updated version, 0.2

Changelog:

Version 0.2 - Aug 01, 2008
-------------------------------
*Added advanced configuration tabs for dosbox.conf

*Removed GP2X Overclock option

*Source code comes with the zip file, as well as binaries for Linux, Windows, Mac.

StreaK said:
Uah, good stuff, similiar to my dosbox blast.

after few minutes....
Its looks like my app :)
Have you use "restorator"? or sth? or this is new-rewritten app?
Its a new-rewritten app using RealBasic (because it can compile for Win, Lin, and Mac in one go).

Yes it is definitely based off of your application, a clone as you will. I did use yours up until the keys changed, and I credit this version entirely to you and DosboxBlast, :) so I hope you're not upset nor disappointed.

Noisome

Noisome said:
StreaK said:
Uah, good stuff, similiar to my dosbox blast.

after few minutes....
Its looks like my app :)
Have you use "restorator"? or sth? or this is new-rewritten app?
Its a new-rewritten app using RealBasic (because it can compile for Win, Lin, and Mac in one go).

Yes it is definitely based off of your application, a clone as you will. I did use yours up until the keys changed, and I credit this version entirely to you and DosboxBlast, :) so I hope you're not upset nor disappointed.

Noisome

I was a little curious too so the form controls are all supported by realbasic fro those 4 os's?

I was a little curious too so the form controls are all supported by realbasic fro those 4 os's?

When I found out it had support and would compile for each of those OS's I had to try it. I've tested the executables on a few different systems and distros for Windows and Linux, but have yet to try it on a Mac. Hit build once and it builds for all OS's without needing to change anything.

I programmed in the RB for Linux and had a friend who has realbasic pro compile it for the different OS's. Pretty neat stuff.

BTW, The RealBasic Linux Personal Edition is free for everyone if you want to try it. It just won't compile for any OS other than Linux.

Noisome

I had to add [AUTOEXEC] section to the startup of the games i made with this tool. it made the mount commands and stuff, but it didn't add it as the section.

mrdremel said:
I had to add [AUTOEXEC] section to the startup of the games i made with this tool. it made the mount commands and stuff, but it didn't add it as the section.
Doh! Okay, when I get home I'll fix it. Thanks for pointing it out. I must've accidentally erased the line.

Noisome

Noisome said:
mrdremel said:
Doh! Okay, when I get home I'll fix it. Thanks for pointing it out. I must've accidentally erased the line.

Noisome

No problem dude.....you rock for making this app. Very good stuff and many kudo's to you!!

Quick changelog, v0.2a

August 6, 2008
-----------------

* Added section [dos] to enable and disable XMS, EMS, and UMB (default disabled).
* Fixed [autoexec] not showing up when building dosbox.conf (thanks mrdremel).
* Removed extra tabs at the top for the moment until they are more useful.

Thanks!

Noisome

Noisome said:
Quick changelog, v0.2a

Some quick things ive noticed with this version:

1. If you click on any of the save files buttons and then click cancel the program crashes.
2. Missing dynamic core option
3. The core Simple came out with a captial S, not all lower case in the dosbox.conf
4. Mising the autoexec label (thought you had fixed this?)

Pickle said:
Noisome said:
Quick changelog, v0.2a

1. If you click on any of the save files buttons and then click cancel the program crashes.
3. The core Simple came out with a captial S, not all lower case in the dosbox.conf
I had listed the wrong version on the beginning post (it was v2.0 instead of v2.0a) which has been fixed. I also updated with the dynamic core option, and the save files button crash error. Release is v2.0b.

Thanks a ton as always for your and everyone's help.

Noisome

Noisome said:
Pickle said:
Noisome said:
Quick changelog, v0.2a

I had listed the wrong version on the beginning post (it was v2.0 instead of v2.0a) which has been fixed. I also updated with the dynamic core option, and the save files button crash error. Release is v2.0b.

Thanks a ton as always for your and everyone's help.

Noisome

And thank you for making this....you still Rock and will Rock forever!

I just played Lakers vs Celtics (best basketbal game ever) and made the configuration in just one go. Works like a charm. Game runs well at 225 mhz.

Back