Gp2x Emus Vs. Psp Emus

OMars, make sure you do research first before making a statement. You just have to look at sites like http://ps2emu.dcemu.co.uk/. There are 26 systems that ARE emulated on the PS2. Though to what extent, I don't know.

Doom III on PSP? Ha, they don't even have Doom 3 for PS2!
Ummm, the PSP is more powerful than the PS2 in every aspect... Commercial games are clocked at 222MHz for a battery reason... but the normal clockspeed for the PSP is 333MHz. Once there is an affordable battery for the PSP than can handle 333MHz as long as the 222MHz does now, then you'll start to see games getting better graphics, and more exciting (more like ps2 games). But anyways, I find the PSP much easier to run emulators like MAME and NeoGeo. The emu's tend to complain less about things. You could say alot fo the PSP emulators are more "Newb friendly". But the emu's on gp2x like DrMD and all are very easy to use. So its not very easy to decide, they both have thier good and bad sides, one thing bothing me is the speed of the community on gp2x (don't give me the "well how bout you try helping out" act please, because I am trying develop for the GP2X)

gavie posted on Sep 24 2006 at 06:10 PM said:
If you but a psp you have to downgrade the firmware to play homebrew on it, which makes it impossible to run new games....
Ofcourse the psp has more emus, because its a much more familiar system, with a larger homebrew community..

About GBA:
-I own a GBA flash cart, it can emulate 8 bit systems, but thats it.. (there's a snes emulator for it, but can't be considered playable)

I'd like to correct you on that as well. Version 1.5 PSP have Devhook which emulate later firmawares so you CAN play current games on a 1.5 PSP.

Also If your worried about buying a PSP with a firmware you do not want look for a letter on the side of the console box. What you are looking for is an "I" an "I" signifias it is a version 2.6 with a T 082 mobo which CANNOT be downgraded but like I said, I have homebrew on it. The homebrew is limited but it contains what your looking for NES and SNES :)

If you have any questions feel free to message me or post here I'm happy to help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both a PSP and GP2X.

My main emulation interests are MAME, Neo Geo, SNES and Megadrive.

I realize that you are not as interested in MAME on the GP2X, but I think it's one of it's killer apps. It's absolutely amazing that it's doing considering the hardware! The MAME on PSP (which is based on the GP2X version) is not as good for some reason. Also, the PSP's 32MB of RAM means that the GP2X with 64MB is actually better suited to running MAME games - especially the large ones!

Some GP2X emulators have one other secret weapon - Cyclone! This is the software required to run 68000 CPU based emulation. Cyclone is written in assembler for the ARM CPUs (which is what the GP2X uses).

As a result, 68000 emulated systems which use Cyclone are *very* speedy (MAME, Neo Geo, Genesis). :)

Since you already own a PSP then why bother with another unit unless you're gonna be playing 2 player games? And owning one and not buying the games is just idiotic. Are you one of those people that just want to download everything for free? I can think of a fair number of games I love playing on my psp such as locco rocco, key of heaven, ridge racer, gta, tales of eternia and pursuit force. I agree that the gp2x is better for emulation (far better in fact) and playing genisis and master system games on the go is fun. Personaly I say you get her a nintendo ds for her birthday and a gp2x for her chrimbo. There are some truly awsome games away to hit the ninty machine.

Okay, I've got a PSP and a gp2x. I did compare the emulators.

SNES: Mostly, the PSP one is better. Not speedwise (some games even run slower than on the gp2x, e.g. Seiken Densetsu 3), but it has roughly the same speed but with full transparencies and no graphical errors. The gp2x version the emulator supporting transparencies is somewhat slower. I always overclock to 266 MHz, which is possible on most gp2x. But we're getting there :)

NES: I'd say both run fullspeed, again, on gp2x you need about 240 - 250 MHz which is no prob.

NeoGeo: gp2x wins. Definately.

MAME: gp2x is faster, PSP has the more recent MAME core. I prefer the gp2x one, as the games it supports are the ones I really want to play.

Genesis: gp2x wins. The genesis emulator on the PSP isn't as smooth as PicoDrive or DrMD.

SMS: Haven't tried the PSP one, but it runs fullspeed with sound and UNDERCLOCKING on the gp2x.

GameBoy: I think both are perfect, so no need to worry here.

PSX and N64: Well, the PSP has N64, the gp2x has PSX. Both run approximately at the same slow speed at the moment, however, the PSX emulator for the gp2x should be possible in fullspeed for not so-complicated games (THANKS to the whole developer team!)

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the info ED. The thing that I fear is, if I buy a PSP, sony are activly working to lock it down with each release. There is no 100% garuntee HB will keep working.

Having never owned a console, I dont care about snes, nes, sms, megadrive, neogeo, psx, n64. etc. I want c64 + mame ;) and the mame stuff I love is old stuff (shinobi, rtype, black tiger, bubble bobble, green beret, raiden, double dragon etc). Plus there is the Atari ST emu for other good stuff (since the ami emu is too heavy) (xenon2 etc ;) mm pacifist and xenon2.. drool.... (i also dont care about playing crap dvd rips or mp3s or looking at photos on the gp2x/psp at 320x200.. or wifi).

Now that I can afford one or the other, I'm torn, epsecially if Sony comes out before xmas with ps1 stuff (id LOVE to play silent hill and tony hawk1+2 etc)... and id love to play some of that wipeout pure :)

Since I'm writing homebrew, I obviously want to play it on my device...
The downside I see, which PSP would be better for, the c64 had lots of small sprites + text to start with that on the PSP's bigger screen would be nicer... but I realise that 272 vs 240 isnt all that much more in vertical screen resolution, so being 480 wide wont be of much use. scaling the extra 32 pixels.. thats less than 1 pixel height per row so.. ugh. no point.

The more I think about it, for doing 320x200 type stuff on psp will probably produce a screen size of roughly the same as the gp2x.. It just has a better cpu than the gp2x but less memory... (kinda since the top 32mb need a hack to access it and turn the cache on).

Even more now I'm leaning to get a c64. I mean GP2X..

The idea of having last ninja theme music start up on the gp2x while I'm on the go makes me smile.

I just need to find the best place to order from being stuck here in the usa.

YakumoFuji posted on Sep 25 2006 at 10:22 PM said:
I want c64 + mame ;) and the mame stuff I love is old stuff (shinobi, rtype, black tiger, bubble bobble, green beret, raiden, double dragon etc). Plus there is the Atari ST emu for other good stuff (since the ami emu is too heavy) (xenon2 etc ;) mm pacifist and xenon2.. drool.... (i also dont care about playing crap dvd rips or mp3s or looking at photos on the gp2x/psp at 320x200.. or wifi).

Now that I can afford one or the other, I'm torn, epsecially if Sony comes out before xmas with ps1 stuff (id LOVE to play silent hill and tony hawk1+2 etc)... and id love to play some of that wipeout pure :)

The downside I see, which PSP would be better for, the c64 had lots of small sprites + text to start with that on the PSP's bigger screen would be nicer... but I realise that 272 vs 240 isnt all that much more in vertical screen resolution, so being 480 wide wont be of much use. scaling the extra 32 pixels.. thats less than 1 pixel height per row so.. ugh. no point.

The more I think about it, for doing 320x200 type stuff on psp will probably produce a screen size of roughly the same as the gp2x.. It just has a better cpu than the gp2x but less memory... (kinda since the top 32mb need a hack to access it and turn the cache on).

The idea of having last ninja theme music start up on the gp2x while I'm on the go makes me smile.

Seriously, if you're worried about how the C64's sprites/text looks on a small screen, there's no problems with it on the GP2X (no idea about the PSP tho). I play with C64 and Vic20 using Vice2X quite a bit and text (even text done with proportional fonts) is very readable even on the GP2X small screen, as is pretty much all of the small sprites. Last Ninja is bloody awesome to play on the go as well.

C64, Mame oldschool, Atari ST (and Amiga is pretty good considering the hardware), it's all prefect and waiting on the GP2X. Plus you don't have to constantly play 'spot the hackable firmaware' with Sony. Perfect for your homebre nature.

Just get in tough with Lik-Sang or Play-Asia (through their websites). I got mine from Play-Asia and they delivered it to Australia with no fuss and no problems, I'm sure it would arrive is USA just as hassle free.

YakumoFuji posted on Sep 25 2006 at 08:52 AM said:
Thanks for the info ED. The thing that I fear is, if I buy a PSP, sony are activly working to lock it down with each release. There is no 100% garuntee HB will keep working.

Having never owned a console, I dont care about snes, nes, sms, megadrive, neogeo, psx, n64. etc. I want c64 + mame ;) and the mame stuff I love is old stuff (shinobi, rtype, black tiger, bubble bobble, green beret, raiden, double dragon etc). Plus there is the Atari ST emu for other good stuff (since the ami emu is too heavy) (xenon2 etc ;) mm pacifist and xenon2.. drool.... (i also dont care about playing crap dvd rips or mp3s or looking at photos on the gp2x/psp at 320x200.. or wifi).

Even more now I'm leaning to get a c64. I mean GP2X..

If you get a psp for homebrew and also want to play their ps1 emu I bet it will do some sort of check every single time you download a new ps1 game making sure you have the newest firmware. This in turn probably means no homebrew.

This also might not happen, but I would not put it past sony..I guess we will have to wait and see.

to me this is a big issue. sony work to stop homebrew each release. newer hardware doesnt work with it, so your left with a continually dwindling pool of users. (my assumption here is, i dont know if ta-082 mobos are homebrewable. i'm assuming they are not).

Even if the PSP was slightly more powerful than the GP2X, I don't see why should I use the PSP against for a purpose other than the one it's made for(playing commercial games), especially if the company which made this device is fighting this purpose.
Just because the hackers and homebrewers were lucky enough to make homebrew work on the PSP currently, they may not be as lucky next time...

YakumoFuji, from what you state you want from a handheld, GP2X would be *perfect* for you! C64 and Atari ST are absolutely flawless on GP2X, and MAME is a superb version.

Also, at native res for C64 etc, the GP2X viewable screen is bigger than the PSP's.

Plus GP2X has a wonderful dev community :)

Yep, for C64, MAME and Atari ST you definately should get a gp2x.

Not to forget the possibility connecting an old C64 joystick using an USB adaptor and playing the games with that on the TV... :)

YakumoFuji posted on Sep 25 2006 at 12:52 PM said:
The more I think about it, for doing 320x200 type stuff on psp will probably produce a screen size of roughly the same as the gp2x..

Actually no.

The GP2X screen is actually a couple of mm taller than the PSP widescreen. Then the fact the pixel size of the PSP is finer to get 272 pixels in slightly less vertical height than the GP2X means that the image size is actually *smaller* than on the GP2X, actually noticeably so. That is unless you stretch the image on the PSP. If you do that then it is larger but "squashed" looking and fuzzy from the filtering. That bothers some like me but others don't seem to care so it depends on what you like.

My famous screen comparison pic showing all screens at their relative sizes to each other. This shows a Genesis screen at 1:1 on all. The GP32 is the same screen size so it is relevant to Gp2X as well.

screensize.jpg

OMars posted on Sep 24 2006 at 10:59 PM said:
If you have the money for a psp and 2GB card, get it...it has fullspeed snes and gba, and I think they have DOOM I/II/III running on it too! :blink:

is it really true that there is a full speed with sound gba emulator for the psp? this would be another reason (apart from ultimate g'n g) to buy it

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 24 2006 at 07:31 PM said:
Why do you assume that he wants the system for himself? Why in hell are you assuming that he doesn`t know what his girlfriend likes. Apparently she also plays doom, maybe she is a retro-gamer, too. I think that it is a bit ignorant to assume that women don`t like to play video games per se.
Agreed, being just about the only woman on these boards I would disagree that he wants it for himself. It think he made that quite clear in the original post. Lets steer clear of the computing is for men attitude please :huh:

I already own a PSP and I will only ever use it for commercial games, I found that getting home brew running on the PSP to be a right pain in the posterior. So much so that I couldn't be bothered.

I'm buying a GP2X very soon, not only so I can have a SNES and Megadrive in my handbag, but also because I have just started to develop my own games for the system. That's another plus to the GP2X, lots of new games that are developed by the community and are generally free, lots of them are totally original too!

Another plus for the GP2X is this forum, it's a friendly place and we will bend over backwards to help you :)

DaveC posted on Sep 25 2006 at 10:50 PM said:
The GP2X screen is actually a couple of mm taller than the PSP widescreen. Then the fact the pixel size of the PSP is finer to get 272 pixels in slightly less vertical height than the GP2X means that the image size is actually *smaller* than on the GP2X, actually noticeably so. That is unless you stretch the image on the PSP. If you do that then it is larger but "squashed" looking and fuzzy from the filtering. That bothers some like me but others don't seem to care so it depends on what you like.

thanks for clearing it up, I knew psp screen was 'bigger' in its widescreen but I thought it was taller as well. My work blocks anything frmo geocities so I will check out the screenshot when I get home. the stretching/squashing bothers me :) i like the pixel look over the antialiased look.. things on the pc that use the mame 2x shaders etc to me look ugly.

chaos engineer posted on Sep 26 2006 at 09:52 PM said:
OMars posted on Sep 24 2006 at 10:59 PM said:
If you have the money for a psp and 2GB card, get it...it has fullspeed snes and gba, and I think they have DOOM I/II/III running on it too! :blink:

is it really true that there is a full speed with sound gba emulator for the psp? this would be another reason (apart from ultimate g'n g) to buy it
Yes to a degree. Search for gpsp by Exophase.

Doom III - Hell no.

Back