Gp2x F-100 ~ F-200 Compatibility

guitargamer

Still Fresh
Hi,
I understand that most likely all games made for the f-100 will work on the f-200, but will games designed for the f-200 work on the current model? im a little worried.

If a games menu screen was optimized for touch screen control, then the f-100 would not support it unless it had joystick compatibility aswell.

any thoughts?
thanks

I suspect that almost all of the GP2X developers will try to keep software as compatible as possible between the F100 and F200 and that any software they develop that does have touch screen support will also most definitely have joystick support. The developers will know that the majority of users will be using some form of F100 and as such they won't want to limit the potential audience for whatever software they are working.

The only times this might not be the case is when software is designed specifically for use with the touchscreen and that their is no way to emulate the functionality through the use of the joystick.

Of course, if they don't add joystick support you can always shout at them on here ;)

Many games dev with touchscreen have to be played with touchscreen, as it is a part of the gameplay...
If devs wants to do only touchscreen games that's not a problem...
If I want to play them, I should buy a F200 !

Yes, i dont want to play a game designed for touchscreen, but what im saying is will games for only joystick or both the joystick and touchscreen option be released?

According to GPH, new firmware will be compatible with F-100 and F-200. Touchscreen is a mouse emulation and using mouse driver so practically a mouse hooked to USB Host mod or Cradle should be used in the sameway as touchpad.

Coming up with an exclusive firmware for F-200 would be a deadly mistake for GPH. (which they like to do.)

mfk said:
Coming up with an exclusive firmware for F-200 would be a deadly mistake for GPH. (which they like to do.)
Totally!

It would be a small scale equivalent of Sony making PSP games that only work on the new 'lite' console. Why cut off their HUGE installed base?

Last edited by a moderator:
mfk said:
According to GPH, new firmware will be compatible with F-100 and F-200. Touchscreen is a mouse emulation and using mouse driver so practically a mouse hooked to USB Host mod or Cradle should be used in the sameway as touchpad.

mfk, could you ask them to add the Nintendo WiiMote bluetooth drivers in the latest firmware. If it just emulates a mouse, it'll be easy as plug and play with the driver. (and bluetooth dongle)

Well i just recieved confirmation from an email from the gp2x.co.uk that it will be backwards compatible and also the f-100 will be able to play ALL f-200 games (if a game uses no button controls and only the touchscreen, it will run but you wont be able to play it)

The F-200 touchscreen may have one big advantage over the older F-100 model, the ability to use/play the Sharp Zaurus PDA's software library. The Sharp Zaurus has a Linux OS and with the new addition of a touchscreen on the GP2X there's a big possiblity of porting over a lot of Zaurus's games and applications. The F-100 unfortunately will be left out.

True, but im sure that they wont just forget about f-100, as the above said, most people will have an f-100 anyway.

I don't see why a mouse couldn't be used instead of a touch screen... The drivers are already there. Sure it's not as portable but I would find it silly if a mouse couldn't be equivalent... especially since most devs have the current GP2X... it would be good if we could use a mouse to start devving for the F200, right?

PokeParadox said:
I don't see why a mouse couldn't be used instead of a touch screen... The drivers are already there. Sure it's not as portable but I would find it silly if a mouse couldn't be equivalent... especially since most devs have the current GP2X... it would be good if we could use a mouse to start devving for the F200, right?
I think this'll all come out in the wash. I don't see people flocking to buy this F-200, I just don't.

As soon as it's released the price for a 2nd hand F-100 will go through the floor, so it won't be a case of selling your existing console to fund the new one.

mfk said:
Touchscreen is a mouse emulation and using mouse driver so practically a mouse hooked to USB Host mod or Cradle should be used in the sameway as touchpad.
Are you sure? I am sure Linux handles them differently through /dev/tsX devices. The touchscreen driver is what I based my joystick one off for GP2X11.

I guess many games can be enhanced for the touch screen, for example in the menus you can make them touch to select an option. I hope that there are not many games that are just touch screen exclusive, you can easily be backwards compatible with a joystick cursor or even at a stretch mouse input.

My new game Round Em Up is ideal for touch screen, I have built the game around joystick and mouse controls so its good to work from the most basic input and work upwards to touch screen. Not sure if I will add touch screen support though, I dont plan to buy the new GP2X so it depends if adding support for it is easy or not, at a guess I would say its near the same as adding mouse support?

I think it's a bit much expecting devs to have an F200 and F100 to make sure apps are compatible (unless anyone's offering to donate a few F200s :)).

The good news is X applications should be ok if the touch screen acts like a mouse.

Yeah its one of the problems surrounding supporting it. Two years after the f100 launch is a bit late in the day in my opinion, all existing devs have a f100 so unless they have the cash to buy a f200/get one donated/or its easy to add touch screen support with a f200 then I cant really see it being a major point.

If anyone wants to buy me a f200 or donate towards one, let me know ;)

Hence why making the F200 have a radically new hardware feature (touch screen) is not a great idea if backwards compatibility is expected... A touchscreen is easier to use than a mouse attached to a bulky cradle, which in turn is awkwardly attached to a GP2X. A console's hardware is supposed to be a set-in-stone standard, that's one of the main reasons why they are so much better to dev for than a PC or PDA.

I know if I had a touch-screen enabled device to dev for, I'd probably use the touch screen as much as possible because it looks like fun, intuitive hardware. It would seem like a waste of time to take the time to downsize the game to fit a joystick instead. You either make a full leap forward, or you don't. Always having to keep an eye on backwards-compatibility is no fun, especially for someone who does this in their free time, for the fun of it.

I'd bet all my money on Craig's new console, if I had any money to begin with, that is :)

Anywho, I'm supposed to enjoy my cheap vacation beers, not be here :D

Alex. said:
Hence why making the F200 have a radically new hardware feature (touch screen) is not a great idea if backwards compatibility is expected... A touchscreen is easier to use than a mouse attached to a bulky cradle, which in turn is awkwardly attached to a GP2X. A console's hardware is supposed to be a set-in-stone standard, that's one of the main reasons why they are so much better to dev for than a PC or PDA.

I know if I had a touch-screen enabled device to dev for, I'd probably use the touch screen as much as possible because it looks like fun, intuitive hardware. It would seem like a waste of time to take the time to downsize the game to fit a joystick instead. You either make a full leap forward, or you don't. Always having to keep an eye on backwards-compatibility is no fun, especially for someone who does this in their free time, for the fun of it.

I'd bet all my money on Craig's new console, if I had any money to begin with, that is :)

Anywho, I'm supposed to enjoy my cheap vacation beers, not be here :D
So...i have just bought my f-100 for nothing? after the f-200 gets released everyone here thinks the devs will jump onto the touch screen bandwagon?

guitargamer said:
So...i have just bought my f-100 for nothing? after the f-200 gets released everyone here thinks the devs will jump onto the touch screen bandwagon?
Firstly: Take a look at the archive. Lots of stuff there, no? It won't go away when the new machine arrives :)

Secondly: No, I think as Guyfawkes said - Most devs won't be arsed to buy a new machine just to be able to dev for touchscreen, especially not with Craig et al:s more interesting machine apparently just around the corner.

Back