Gp2x F-100 ~ F-200 Compatibility

Moxie said:
guitargamer said:
So...i have just bought my f-100 for nothing? after the f-200 gets released everyone here thinks the devs will jump onto the touch screen bandwagon?
Firstly: Take a look at the archive. Lots of stuff there, no? It won't go away when the new machine arrives :)

Secondly: No, I think as Guyfawkes said - Most devs won't be arsed to buy a new machine just to be able to dev for touchscreen, especially not with Craig et al:s more interesting machine apparently just around the corner.

Yeah sorry, i know therse a TONNE of stuff already :)

Craig is making a new machine aswell as the f-200?where can i find more info about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it may have been a different story (in my opinion) if craigs console wasn't announced. Why buy a f-200 when a brand new console is going to be released which will be better.

Alex. said:
I know if I had a touch-screen enabled device to dev for, I'd probably use the touch screen as much as possible because it looks like fun, intuitive hardware. It would seem like a waste of time to take the time to downsize the game to fit a joystick instead. You either make a full leap forward, or you don't. Always having to keep an eye on backwards-compatibility is no fun, especially for someone who does this in their free time, for the fun of it.
In most cases I would agree, but for the GP2X case I don't. It is an enhanced model which wont (and probably never will) have a larger user base than the F-100. Personally I would like as many people as possible to play my games and I don't want to limit this because of an hardware issue, it would be like making a game TV-out only or even better to start the game you can only press the joystick button ;)

Have i missed out on something? Craig is developing a new machine? could anyone give me any more information about this? i thought the F-200 was the only new machine

DisgruntleElf said:
The F-200 touchscreen may have one big advantage over the older F-100 model, the ability to use/play the Sharp Zaurus PDA's software library. The Sharp Zaurus has a Linux OS and with the new addition of a touchscreen on the GP2X there's a big possiblity of porting over a lot of Zaurus's games and applications. The F-100 unfortunately will be left out.
Running Zaurus apps would be super cool... I remember a bunch of nice ones. The problem I think would be that the Zaurus was a vertically oriented screen.

Xhorder said:
DisgruntleElf said:
The F-200 touchscreen may have one big advantage over the older F-100 model, the ability to use/play the Sharp Zaurus PDA's software library. The Sharp Zaurus has a Linux OS and with the new addition of a touchscreen on the GP2X there's a big possiblity of porting over a lot of Zaurus's games and applications. The F-100 unfortunately will be left out.
Running Zaurus apps would be super cool... I remember a bunch of nice ones. The problem I think would be that the Zaurus was a vertically oriented screen.

If it's opensource and a lot of homebrew Zaurus projects are, then I'm sure some modifications can be made. If it's not opensource perhaps a hack can be developed to play the software vertically. A little ackward to play on the GP2X but it could be done. Still its all a big MAYBE as its yet to be determined how the new GP2X F-200 touchscreen works.

Back