Gp2x F200 --> Still Varying Mhz Ranges Of Cpu Core?

DavidBeoulve

GP2X by EvilDragon OC's to 280-300MHz
Website
www.gamersgonebad.com
I didn't know about the GP2X F200 until "Game Editor" e-mailed me a notice about their latest release, and I saw they added support for a touch screen GP2X. Huh?!

Anyway, do these models still involve the crap-shoot for how well they overclock?

Anyone in America/Canada sell them and guarantee an overclock amount?

David Beoulve said:
I didn't know about the GP2X F200 until "Game Editor" e-mailed me a notice about their latest release, and I saw they added support for a touch screen GP2X. Huh?!

Anyway, do these models still involve the crap-shoot for how well they overclock?

Anyone in America/Canada sell them and guarantee an overclock amount?
General consensus appears to be that they overclock better. That being said I've not really tested mine. I'm aware there's some sort of testing app that appears to be offline at the moment... Any good links for speed testing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just use mame or something like that. I can overclock mine 275. It seems most can do 280.

b_o_b said:
Just use mame or something like that. I can overclock mine 275. It seems most can do 280.
I can overclock only untill 265... my F100 until 290

my old f100 did 280, new f200 does 275.
I'm checking using ant walk on gpsp

My F200 overclocks to 280mhz using both gpsp tests. From what I've read, I think its much more consistent than the previous models.

Antwalk is not an accurate way to test a CPU and it's a shame they even included it because it's results mean nothing.

Antwalk is not an accurate way to test a CPU and it's a shame they even included it because it's results mean nothing.
Whats wrong with antwalk? Is the other test more accurate?

I just tested at 285mhz playing the 1st level of metal slug (fairly intensive, sometimes slows down to 1/2 speed) on gngeo and it seems stable, it crashed on loading at 290mhz though.

Edit: Actually i take that back, it seems metal slug actually slows the game down at certian points, the fps reads a constant 60. I'll try something more intensive....

Adventus said:
Whats wrong with antwalk? Is the other test more accurate?
Antwalk is known to be inaccurate, even the author admits it. Not that I care much for insane overclocks, but my CPU is only stable to 255mhz, but antwalk says I can go 10-15mhz higher. It means nothing and it sucks they left it in.

Adventus said:
Edit: Actually i take that back, it seems metal slug actually slows the game down at certian points, the fps reads a constant 60. I'll try something more intensive....
You are emulating a NeoGeo and a real NeoGeo slows down during MetalSlug as well as many other games ;) Even if you could overclock to 1 GHz Metal Slug would still slow down. The only way it wouldn't is if you could set the emu to overclock the emulated Neo 68000 CPU, but you can't.

DaveC: I call BS, I distinctly remember pepone discussing overclocking the 68000 CPU as a commandline option! I'm pretty sure it's possible!

You are emulating a NeoGeo and a real NeoGeo slows down during MetalSlug as well as many other games Even if you could overclock to 1 GHz Metal Slug would still slow down. The only way it wouldn't is if you could set the emu to overclock the emulated Neo 68000 CPU, but you can't.
DaveC: I call BS, I distinctly remember pepone discussing overclocking the 68000 CPU as a commandline option! I'm pretty sure it's possible!
There's an option in the gngeo/rage2x called "68k clock" which you can modify between -50% to 50%. I tried this and it did seem to run faster and drop a few fps, but it might just be my imagination/random pills I took last night.

I still love it to bits.. much better than my Mk1 but I guess I got the short straw when it comes to overclocking.. I can safely overclock to just 265.. 270 will work but causes random hangs after a while.
I wish I had had he option to pay a few quid more and get something that clocks to 280 rather that going for the pot luck option.

Back