Gp2x F200 Wireless, Wired Network Possible?

drag0nneus

Still Fresh
All,

I want to purchase a F200 and have done much research and comparing to the nokia800 and the psp. I Love linux and want to stick to open source but I have these questions before I commit:

1> Wireless via usb possible, worth it?
2> Internet over usb?
3> Networking/Internet via usb nic adapter?
4> samba does it work?

Thanks for the help guys
Dragonneus :ph34r:

wireless is possible but it's not easy

some people have managed it with very specific hardware, whatever worked on the F100 should work on F200 but don't quote me on that. Except of course for USB networking which only works on F100.

Most of us don't seem to care much for network (or not enough that we would go through figuring out a working setup) but it's theoretically possible.

with what you said, there is a chance you'd rather wait for the Pandora...

xcen said:
wireless is possible but it's not easy

some people have managed it with very specific hardware, whatever worked on the F100 should work on F200 but don't quote me on that. Except of course for USB networking which only works on F100.

Most of us don't seem to care much for network (or not enough that we would go through figuring out a working setup) but it's theoretically possible.

with what you said, there is a chance you'd rather wait for the Pandora...
usb networking? what is that exactly? pc to pc connection? IF i want wireless internet on my gp2x f200 is that ruled out as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
MaGaIn said:
Get the GP2X, not Pandora.
Alright, Don't confuse the guy already. Its his choice to get whatever he wants.... I think that we both need these answers about the wifi on an F200 and then you can make an informed descion. :D

MaGain: if he's looking into a networkable device, I would never sell the guy a GP2X... he says he's looking for a networkable open source device, that sounds more like the Pandora.

That being said, and to answer Dragonneus' question, the pandora is a non-existing open source handheld which is being developed by members of our community. There is plenty information on this very board, under the Pandora forums...

To answer the USB Networking question, the F100 had a special USB chip that basicaly contained a network card interface. You would plug the F100 into the PC via USB and install a specific driver, and your GP2X would appear as a networked device (i.e.: 192.168.0.3). You could then SSH into the GP2X if you wished to. That was on top of being able to access both SD card reader and NAND through the same USB connection.

With the F200, all you can do is access the card reader, so your only hope is to use the cradle and connect a USB network card to it, then find some working drivers and make them work on the GP2X.... not exactly easy.

Furthermore, it's not very practical for everyday use, all depending on what you want to do with it. In comparison, it has nothing to do with the PSP's WIFI functions, IMHO (for the records: I hate sony)

This is why I suggested waiting for the pandora, as it aims to have a built in WIFI card and thus connectivity without having to connect bulky devices.

^^ so then your saying... SSH pc to gp f200 not possible, but gp f200 to usb wifi or wireless internet (whatever you call it) is?

ZeroDayATK said:
^^ so then your saying... SSH pc to gp f200 not possible, but gp f200 to usb wifi or wireless internet (whatever you call it) is?
You can ssh to the f200, if you have a cradle and a USB network adaptor, but it involves some ad-hackery

Back