Gp2x For Life Released

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Dedeibel released a first version of Gp2x for Life.
It's a simple 2-Dimensional cellular system that creates amazing structures.

GP2XOfLife-0.png

Download: Gp2x for Life
Download: Gp2x for Life Sourcecode

This is different , will look into it :) always fun to try new things!

wow, this is great, so much fun ... closest thing we'll get to spores on our gp2x ;) ... one part tamagotchi, one part Chtong, one part sim-whatever, one part go ... this stays on the sd ... even tho it flickers like a fucking rave party on my mk1 screen :eek:

i highly suggest this simulator to anyone, the rules are simple (one page of on-screen help!) and the posibilities are vast

Cool I remember this.

Some suggestions:

Option to invert colors, black background, white or colored "bacteria"

Pre done patterns that can be stamped around such as those "creepers", "flashers" etc.

Wrap mode so that bacteria can keep going off of the screen and come back on the other side.

DaveC posted on Sep 14 2006 at 10:51 PM said:
Cool I remember this.

Some suggestions:

Option to invert colors, black background, white or colored "bacteria"

Pre done patterns that can be stamped around such as those "creepers", "flashers" etc.

Wrap mode so that bacteria can keep going off of the screen and come back on the other side.

pre done patterns? there is save and load ...

wrap mode ... could be fun, changes the dynamics of the game ... i never played the origianal

edit: invert colors, not that important to me ... but what if a square remained gray for a turn after it was dead, so you could see the blosoming and everything better? might be a nice effect ... and after that a configurable color pallet? haha tippry! ;)

another nice visual might be: turn the grid off/on?

possible improvement to key config:

shortcut: use the volume -/+ buttons to zoom in and out!

start button starts/stops the playing ... select steps once ... L+R+START quits

i guess i should be writing to Benjamin Peter now babbling here :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Ideas, I might add some of these but actually I didn't want to ... spend ...
too much time on this since it was more like a "get to know SDL project".

Thanks for the comments.

Benjamin Peter
aka dedeibel

Looks to me like the job i should have done with mine - will be interested to try this.

Something like this with lovely Vektar or Rez style graphics would be pretty cool, add a good soundtrack and you'd have a great little interactive demo...

®

Whoa, Just when I decided that my modded version of Life2x (which has a doubled field size and some other stuff, but also has a naggy crashy bug that crashes the game after a lot of generations) wasn't good enough to get released, and just when I decided to make my own version of Life for the GP2x, you show up with this version! :p

And I must say that I pretty much like it, however, there are a few things I would think would make it even better.

1) Allow the user to get a bit more speed out of the generations. It feels kind of slow now (6 generations a second, or so?)
2) Allow the user to turn on/off the grid, and then make sure that the grid is filled with a cell's color, too (I just don't like seeing a line between two black cells. :/). Shouldn't be too hard when you make it so that if the grid is ACTIVE, it is being "drawn" on the top and left sides of a cell. So this way you could have it active (and get a 5x5 cell) or nonactive (and you'd get a 6x6 cell)
3) Allow for more zoom modes. I'd love to see a 1:1 zoom mode where 1 pixel equals 1 cell.
4) When the user holds Y and uses the joystick, move the screen instead of the cursor.
5) Allow the current generation number to be displayed on the top statusline. Could also be made so you can switch between generation only, active cells only (like it is now: "25/75000") and both (so you would get something like "25 - 100" which means 25 alive cells, 100 generations).
6) (this is not really that much needed) allow popular cell construction files of other Windows/Linux software to be opened and placed.
7) Move the L button's action (the help thing) to a subsection of the R button (options) and use the L button for something else, such as file actions.

That's it, I think..
Even though it's got a few things I don't really like, it's still an awesome Life sim on the GP2x. :)

starpause posted on Sep 15 2006 at 05:58 AM said:
pre done patterns? there is save and load ...

Not for the screen, for small "brushes" that could be strategically placed/stamped around to avoid having to make them all of the time. These "brushes " would have certain patterns that tend to do certain things. One example is the pattern that "walks" or creeps across the screen. You could easily set up different situations.

That`s pretty fun! I always loved to play around with Life... now to have this on the gp2x is great. I didn`t try that other life-like that was released before but this is awesome. Now we have two addicting simulators: gp2xforLife and Gp2xsand

dedeibel posted on Sep 15 2006 at 02:20 AM said:
Nice Ideas, I might add some of these but actually I didn't want to ... spend ...
too much time on this since it was more like a "get to know SDL project".

Thanks for the comments.

Benjamin Peter
aka dedeibel

ah, too bad it's was only a learning project! but thank you for releasing the source ... maybe i can learn something and try the improvements i imagined.

theminder was early on the scene :)

also, anyone interested in seeing what this is about/like in java before hitting it on gp2x

http://www.ibiblio.org/lifepatterns/

edit: A_SN, the rules for the game of life are anchient (like, decades old hehe)

pretty cool I must say! reminds me that I planned to do a clone of MS Paint with layer and animation support for the GP2X ;-).

Anyways, I don't know if it's in the spirit of what you're tying to do, but maybe that would be interesting if instead of having very life/death rules, you had stochiastic ones, for example, any live cell with fewer than two or more than three neighbours has 80% odds of dying, and so on... the odds could be customized... might be interesting, it's up to you...

Edit : funny, I just noticed you could so stable "structures" that "walk" in a precise direction like this :

Code:

Back