Gp2x In Uk Newspaper

ste_167 posted on Mar 17 2007 at 11:56 PM said:
Very true :D You're very much on my wavelength here (as they would say in the 'seventies')
:lol: Yup, looks like this thread may have itself a Convoy!

Pass me the Altair 8800, I wana quick game of Quake!

Last edited by a moderator:
moose posted on Mar 17 2007 at 08:38 PM said:
I had to read the word "seventies" a few times, still makes no sence. ;)

According to the article, we can all download Movies & MP3's from this "SPECIAL" web site. Where the hell
were they searching?

I think they read the back of the box very swiftly and made up the rest, still nice to see something though. :)

I'm pretty sure it's a grammar error. It's missing a comma.
... seventies favourite games, Doom and Quake.
Basically it plays old retro stuff and some newer ports... It's still really really appalling though!

Popular Science actually did a nice little page write up about it =)
Actually knew that the main draw was for emulation and homebrew, and sold it for what it was...ill try to find it somewhere..
give it a look :D

atleast it got some point of what the 2x does across, so it wasnt like, its a gba rip-off that can play quake ;)

well good publicity if anything, nice find.....

I do some work for the express where I work, and get PDF's of the paper. heres a better quality jpg of the article:

express.jpg

if anyone wants the full page (for some reason) give me a shout...

...but yea, the author seems a bit clueless.. and also thinks that a certain torrent site is a little more official than it is. :)

hope this post doesn't throw the thread dimensions out too much

haha, thats the funniest crap I've read in awhile.

Edit: Just noticed the Gp2x in the picture has DaveC's cap on it.

somone needs to phone them and ask for a retraction/correction hopefully they will print that in the next edition, i think thats one 'good' review thats more harmfull than a negative one, then again express readers are not going to be missed...

Samba Pa Ti posted on Mar 19 2007 at 11:42 AM said:
somone needs to phone them and ask for a retraction/correction hopefully they will print that in the next edition, i think thats one 'good' review thats more harmfull than a negative one, then again express readers are not going to be missed...

Journos aren't particularly keen on publicly apologising for their mistakes. When the wonderful Daily Mail printed the photo of the wrong person accused of murdering those prossies in East Anglia, the apology was on page 27 or something in 6pt script. And thats after doing a good job of trying to ruin someones life by publicly accusing them of being a murderer.

At the end of the day, it said 'Best' and 'Retro'. If I didn't know about the gp2x and read the Express (the later being a big 'if') then being a retro fan it would be enough to get me to investigate further.

PS From my experience of newspapers, what probably happened is the author wrote a long piece about how it could play seventies favorites such as Atari 2600 games, plus 8 bit home computer emulators, homebrew and right through to PC favorities Doom and Quake. Then a hopeless sub-ed was asked to cut down the words and removed the middle bits to fit in with the required design.

Or possibly some immigrants / single mothers are to blame :D

It links to the IWOOT site as the best place to buy one, so I investigated further. The IWOOT site also says that you can download songs, games and movies from www.gp2x.co.uk, which is basically just another retailer (Craigs) of the console, and not a download site.

So basically, it looks like the express got all their info from the item description on iwantoneofthose.com.

Back