Gp2x/psp Comparison - My Own Opinion

the initial post is a fair review overall. I think where we all differ on opinion is that the majority on this forum value homebrew above most of gp2x's issues. If you don't care about much of the homebrew, or the variety gp2x offers, psp is a very good choice in comparison, with it's attractive commercial games.

initially my opinion of the 2x was rather low, but once we received more 'killer apps' than megadrive emulation, it changed greatly.

thought I'd stick my oar into this pointless debate ;)

most of the hardware quality features vs price thing balances out pretty well between the two.

it all comes down to whether you want to play:
a. wipeout and gta, etc. - get a psp
or...
b. noiz2sa and gauntlet (and nebulus and...) - get a gp2x

plus there's the issue of open platform or not. you've got the choice of:
a. kick-ass commercial games (at commercial prices) with super-whizzy graphics - get a psp
b. lots of freeware (lower quality and more hassle to setup, but it's free!), plus the ability for you to easily write your own code - get a gp2x.

personally I don't understand people who have a 'brand loyalty' thing going on. I'd love to have both (I DO like wipeout!), but can't really justify the cost :(

so I'll just stick with my shiny gp2x as I'd rather take the b. options above :)
Problem is the PSP runs emulators AND commercial games, gp2x runs emulators AND more freeware/open source stuff.

So well.

We have commercial stuff, just none has been released yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tetedeiench said:
Problem is the PSP runs emulators AND commercial games

Not all PSPs, and not all games. New games require new firmware, and new firmwares (which new PSPs have) don't allow homebrew.

It will be a constant battle between Sony and the devvers.

The philosophies behind the machines are so different it's difficult to compare.

If anyone is torn between which system to buy (if only one can be bought), I'd definitely recommend WAIT another month or two. Compare the two systems in March when the "official" (ie. mainstream) release is, see how the firmware and hardware shapes up then, and what software is available at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
All firmwares *do* run homebrew on PSPs now. Its just basicly a matter of when fanjita codes his new loader to work under the new exploit. Besides, 2.0 is homebrew and all comercial games via a version changer.

Theres as much messing about on both systems to get things working :p

Back