Psp Vs Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orkie said:
I personally like the idea of widescreen for games since it'd allow either more of the level to be displayed at once or have a sidebar of some kind (like in Baldur's Gate) without reducing the amount of space left for the game itself. I'd much rather have a wider screen than a longer screen as you (or at least I) can see much further out to the sides without having to move your head.
Wow, considering your knowledge of coding and such, I am suprised you would say something so dumb.

WS does NOT allow more of a level to be displayed :rolleyes: It is RESOLUTION that allows more of a level to be displayed not the aspect ;) Which allows more of a level to be displayed, a 480 x 320 4:3 screen or a 480 x 272 widescreen resolution screen? Hmm in this case it is the 4:3 that displays more info isn't it. So much for your "arguement". Games with a sidebar could also be better on a 4:3 screen if it is higher res as the sidebar could be taller.

Also do you guys realise that a 19" 4:3 screen gives you MORE area than a 19" widescreen monitor? It does, simple geometry.

So stop with the absolute rubbish about widescreens giving more viewing area as they do not by virtue of just the aspect. It is RESOLUTION and AREA * only* that determine the amount of information displayed or the amount you can see. Anything else is just crap that the industry feeds you to get you to buy the newer format. It is marketing hype and nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, considering how obsessed with emulators you are, I'm surprised you would say something so dumb... Actually, I'm not :rolleyes:.

You are ignoring the fact that I was talking about a game designed for widescreen and as a programmer of games, I would much rather have a widescreen to work with for pretty much any type of game that I would be interested in writing. Purely preference. By saying I am 'wrong', you have once again proved yourself a {insert rude word}.

davec i know that ws displays have actually less space available. but you know what we mean right? on widescreen games you have more horizontal field of view. even if its artificial and could also be done on 4:3 displays.

and when you just cut off the top and the bottom on a 4:3 display you get a 16:9 display ok, but the field of view stays the same.

Orkie said:
Wow, considering how obsessed with emulators you are, I'm surprised you would say something so dumb... Actually, I'm not :rolleyes:.

You are ignoring the fact that I was talking about a game designed for widescreen and as a programmer of games, I would much rather have a widescreen to work with for pretty much any type of game that I would be interested in writing. Purely preference, by saying I am wrong, you have once again proved yourself a {insert rude word}.

I am saying you are wrong because you ARE wrong. You said that a widescreen allows more of a level to be displayed (I didn't say emulators) and that is completely and truly WRONG. RESOLUTION allows more of a level to be displayed not the ratio of length to width. So by your statement you are implying that a widescreen PSP at 480x272 displays more of a level than a 4:3 480x320 screen would just because it is more rectangular. It is you that have once again proved yourself a {insert rude word}.

Vollgasasi said:
and when you just cut off the top and the bottom on a 4:3 display you get a 16:9 display ok, but the field of view stays the same.
No you get less of a field of view if you cut off the top and bottom. "field of view" doesn't only refer to horizontal only. It refers to EVERYTHING, horizontal and vertical so if you are losing area, you lose field of view ;)

DaveC said:
I am saying you are wrong because you ARE wrong. You said that a widescreen allows more of a level to be displayed (I didn't say emulators) and that is completely and truly WRONG. RESOLUTION allows more of a level to be displayed not the ratio of length to width. So by your statement you are implying that a widescreen PSP at 480x272 displays more of a level than a 4:3 480x320 screen would just because it is more rectangular. It is you that have once again proved yourself a {insert rude word}.
Then you have misunderstood. I did not say there was more area, I said you would be able to display more on the screen at once (obviously depending on the game). I prefer writing games which are wide rather than long and my games rarely need even 272 pixels of vertical space. Also, if a game used only a relatively small game area on the screen, using the edges of the screen for additional information is in my opinion much nicer than having it at the tops and bottoms. I thought you hated having black bars? That's what'd happen if you tried to display a thin level on a fat screen.

If you really don't understand what I'm saying you are even stupider than we already thought you were :S. You need to stop confusing fact and opinion.

ah i give up on arguing with davec. he obviously knows what i mean yet he still tries to let me look like i'm stupid and don't know anything about resolutions and field of views.

Vollgasasi said:
ah i give up on arguing with davec. he obviously knows what i mean yet he still tries to let me look like i'm stupid and don't know anything about resolutions and field of views.
Fight, fight, fight, fight!! :lol: (Oooops.. did i say that out loud?)

Exophase said:
I don't think Corn even used Glide (maybe you're thinking of UltraHLE?).. anyway, no matter how powerful the video card is a 233MHz Pentium MMX is not fast enough to emulate Mario 64 at 160-300fps, even with a static recompiler.
Heh, I used to play Mario64 on Corn 0.2 on my Cyrix 200mhz with Voodoo2 8mb and achieved 70fps without breaking a sweat.

D.

You know what I'd personally like to get my hands on for the Eee PC?

Some type of mini-gamepad. I mean, there's the Retrocon for PS2, but then you have to have the bulky adaptor, plus the things break easily. I'm imagining something about that size, but with a retractable cord that's USB without any adaptors.

Anyone know of such a product, or will it require the hacking?

This old ULTRAHLE Emulator was amazing. Somehow they managed to emulate a 64Bit Console with incredible Speed even on slow PC's. Maybe it was just because of Glide, Maybe because the devs were Magicans, I don't know. But this Example shows, what is possible in the Emulating-Universe.
I was able to play N64 Games with UltraHLE and i only had an 266MHz PenII with an Vodoo2 GFX Card. With this PC I was able to play Unreal too, always with an good FPS rate. :) I think effective optimizing of Software was "IN" at this Time. Today, you always need bigger PC's even for Office etc. It feels, noone want to optimize his PC Software to squeeze the last bit of Performance out, like on Consoles. :(

Whatever. Because widescreen Laptops were mentioned here, it only makes fun to play, if the game supports Widescreen. For Example I play Batlefield 2 with my buddy while I'm using his 16:10 Laptop. Sadly, BF2 DON'T support real Widescreen, so the aspect ratio is wrong on 16:10 or you have black bars left and right when you force to keep a right aspect ratio. - Useless.

The Laptops today still have some other disadvantages if you want one for mainly playing Games. Try to find a Laptop without high-glare display for example. Don't laugh but at the Moment I really like the well know'n OLPC Laptop. The XO or 100$ Laptop maybe is just an Education Device for Developing Countries, but this little thing has some Features built in, where big and Expensive laptops only dreaming about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_Machine
amazing dual-Mode display, works even under bright Sun, water/dust resist, minimal power consumption, Wireless mesh networking...etc. And of course the whole Thing is Open Source. :)
I had read, some People from the Beta-testing Team could run various Emulators on the OLPC. The Laptop even has a D-Pad and some PSX-Controller styled Buttons. So I think in Theory, the little 100$ Laptop could be more than "just" an great education-machine.
I wish, there will be something equal for non 3. world countries or better, something for people like us GP2X maniacs here. ;) I'm sure with a little bit of trying, talented Coders could squeeze amazing stuff even out of such a small Device like the OLPC. :)

yalborap said:
You know what I'd personally like to get my hands on for the Eee PC?

Some type of mini-gamepad. I mean, there's the Retrocon for PS2, but then you have to have the bulky adaptor, plus the things break easily. I'm imagining something about that size, but with a retractable cord that's USB without any adaptors.

Anyone know of such a product, or will it require the hacking?
Seems like there are a couple out there: http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&amp...G=Google+Search

Orkie said:
Then you have misunderstood. I did not say there was more area, I said you would be able to display more on the screen at once (obviously depending on the game). I prefer writing games which are wide rather than long and my games rarely need even 272 pixels of vertical space. Also, if a game used only a relatively small game area on the screen, using the edges of the screen for additional information is in my opinion much nicer than having it at the tops and bottoms. I thought you hated having black bars? That's what'd happen if you tried to display a thin level on a fat screen.

If you really don't understand what I'm saying you are even stupider than we already thought you were :S. You need to stop confusing fact and opinion.
I understand what you are saying but it is wrong. You keep saying that you can display more on screen at once but with WS but that is false. You have this mental block that makes you think for some reason that a wider aspect allows for more to be displayed but it doesn't, you can design around any format. If you designed a game that was wide you could still do it but then instead of having the additional information on the sides it could be all game screen that would give even more game area. You could then use the extra pixels on the top and bottom for the extra information. Again *resolution* will determine how much is displayed. I tried to give FACTUAL examples that show that resolution not the shape of the screen is what determines how much you can see. Since the pixel is the smallest element of a computer image the only way to "display more on screen" is to increase pixels, simple. You can do that no matter what the aspect. That is not opinion that is fact. It is simple math and geometry.

What YOU are saying is opinion.

"I prefer writing games which are wide rather than long"

"using the edges of the screen for additional information is in my opinion much nicer than having it at the tops and bottoms"

Those are all opinions and in this case that is fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you aren't entitled to your own facts.

If you were to say "I just like the format for my games, it fits better for what I am doing" or "I like the look of the shape" Then I would never have said anything in the first place because of course that is your preference and that is fine.

You are accusing me of doing exactly what you are doing, confusing fact and opinion.

DaveC said:
What YOU are saying is opinion.

"I prefer writing games which are wide rather than long"

"using the edges of the screen for additional information is in my opinion much nicer than having it at the tops and bottoms"

Those are all opinions and in this case that is fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you aren't entitled to your own facts.

If you were to say "I just like the format for my games, it fits better for what I am doing" or "I like the look of the shape" Then I would never have said anything in the first place because of course that is your preference and that is fine.

You are accusing me of doing exactly what you are doing, confusing fact and opinion.
You are still confused it seems. I never claimed what I said was fact. I was accusing you of mistaking my opinion for fact! You must be so desperate to get into a fight with me over this (presumably because you hate widescreens for some reason that is still unknown to me) that you had to misinterpret me on purpose :rolleyes:.

***Abusive Content Removed.***

There`s no need to lower the tone of this thread even lower than it already has been.

Don't call DaveC a troll just because you don't agree with everything he says and because he's defensive about what he says.

I agree with him on this matter. Aspect ratio does not increase the amount of screen real estate, resolution does. I'd rather have a 640x480 than a 640x400 for example. If you want to code widescreen content, you can do so on a 4:3 just as well, so why corner your design choices for every software you will make by having a wide screen? Just like some games are good wide, some are good tall. With a wide screen, you will only have wide games. Wouldn't a vertical space shooter suck on a wide screen? Well of course it would.

Alex. said:
Don't call DaveC a troll just because you don't agree with everything he says and because he's defensive about what he says.
Nah, he's also calling him one for all the other times he has defended his opinion 'aggressively'. He misinterpreted my comment which for once, was not intended to wind him up. He started this fight, thus is a troll.

synkro said:
To end this discussion I will show with one arguemnt only
That's not an argument that's shouting and is much more annoying than DaveC will ever be.

b._.o._.b said:
synkro said:
To end this discussion I will show with one arguemnt only
That's not an argument that's shouting and is much more annoying than DaveC will ever be.

Alright kiddo, I can rise my voice in here as I wish to. I just declared the end of all the lame discussing with DaveC. As you can't recognize facts even in big bold letters makes me feel sorry for you. Not go ahead and buy a PSP, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back