Psp Vs Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exophase said:
BTW, PSP has better GBA emulation too -_-
it may do but i have confidence that you can bring the 2x version of gpsp up to the standard of the psp if not then better

as for the first thing you said i dint quite understand (i had a few too many at the pub)

Last edited by a moderator:
freddykreuger666 said:

That doesn't specify Intel based chipset, VGA, 3 USB ports, etc.

Although since I found out it's jointly developed by Intel that must mean Intel CPU...
[/quote]

its called, completely over reacting the product features, common practice by sales ppl and fanboi's
and yes i did say to my mate who said, look at ur puny 200mhz cpu, i laugh at ur weak gaming system
mine overclocks to 310mhz! so hah!, but my only really does 240 tops
but anyways, the gp2x does all i want, movies, music, emulation
better then that asus "laptop", with no joystick ~~
dont want keyboard support and all this fancy wifi + bob crap
just play portable games, can bring me laptop for internet and stuff
[/quote]

This laptop was old news LAST YEAR when they announced they were going to make this. It was always said to be "just good enough" to be a replacement for textbooks and get on the internet and write reports.

Basically, what are you going to do with it? Will it play movies to your satisfaction? Will it be a gaming PC? No. If you want a laptop for this price, why not buy an old laptop off Ebay that does WAAAYYY more and has WAYYY better specs than this "new" laptop? LOL!!! People please.

Orkie said:
You seem to be a bit too defensive to me. At the end of the day your mind is clearly made up, most other people's minds are already made up and nobody is going to change their mind without hard facts (of which there are very few).
Actually gamefan999 is gathering my ire fairly quickly. gamefan999: Please stop with the insults, especially to DaveC and Exophase, these guys have done more for this community than you (or I) could ever hope to. It's like arriving in a Wild West town you didn't build and pissing in the wind. gamefan999, learn to deal better with people and cut down your own ego about wanting to feel right.

Tycho said that arguing on the Internet was like a room with a large table where people took turns getting up from their chairs, standing on the table and waving their baggage in circles over their heads while yelling, and then sitting back down. And it is just as fruitful.

The other modern fallacy people fall into in the Internet age is that anyone can, with cursory research, be an expert. The truth is that there are topics that take years of research - anthropology (my Latin wife's major), career programming (my father and many developers here), and electrical engineering. It is not true that with your Internet connection, Google, and purchasing a few handhelds and downloading a few ROMS and emulators you can come up with as much knowledge about HOW these things work and WHICH handheld they would work better for under what circumstances... as these guys can.

Back your ego off. You are not so well educated in the field, and there's just no reason to be mean.

Ideology makes enemies of small minds, not large ones.

This is all ridiculous.

Which is "better" etc.

Gamefan just except it. The PSP is more powerful, that is a fact. Which has more emus doesn't mean much either as that can change at any time. You arguing with Exophase is futile. You are bringing a knife to a gunfight and will lose. Exophase has coded on both and knows the hardware better than you do, and which is more powerful.

Which is "better" is subjective. Better does not always equal more powerful. The PSP is more powerful but may not be "better" for what you want. In my case I prefer the GP2X for *emus* but that is because of reasons important to me even though the hardware is weaker (and I am not mental over PSX).

System power is not always the winning element. You could have a supercomputer that takes up a city block and has it's own power plant but will it play Ms Pac-man on MAME any better than a GP2X? Well since the supercomputer doesn't have a d-pad and you can't take it on the train with you I guess in this case a GP2X is "better" than a supercomputer. Which ever suits your wants is what is better for you.

gamefan999 said:
He, however, is unwilling to look at the link to the private, non-commercial PS1 emulator I posted, and consider the 12 playable games out of the over 200 listed. What does that weakly performing emu have to do with the commercial releases of playable PS1 games by Sony? - nothing, I argue. That was what I was "rabbitting on about" (?!) in my last comment. (And to exophase, if it is so easy to create a homebrew PS1 emu, why hasn't it been done by the homebrewers???)

you know there already is this nearly perfect official psx emulator so why should the coders waste their time with this unofficial port? that's why it's so bad, because nobody cares. there already is a superb emulator for the psx on the psp.

rokdcasbah said:
tried the snes emu last night on it, the one that uses ME, with chrono trigger, and i have to say i think pocketsnes and squidgesnes are both better.
yes snes is better on the gp2x as are most 8- and 16- bit emulators.

and i must say i'm pretty happy that the psp is a widescreen device. it's not the best for emulating older consoles but widescreen is just better for 3d gaming. i have a widescreen notebook and games like half-life 2 and others just look far better with that added field of view. it's the way to go for future devices.
other things i like about the psp:
-cross media bar (looks very sexy, especially those 'previews' you get before starting a game
-firmware running in the backround - allows forcool stuff like sleep state etc..
analog controls-even though they are far from being great it's nice to have analog controls on a handheld.
-great viewing angle on the nice 'high res' screen (even though it's ghosting like stupid)
-sheer horse power - it's a ps2 portable

everything else i pretty much liked more on the gp2x, like easily accesible sd card slot...

the gp2x is just the better device for emulating older consoles and will be pretty much perfect for this task in the future because of all the great coders that dedicate so much of their time into their projects.and the psp will never beat the gp2x in this particular segment of emulation.

freddykreuger666 said:
... and psp controls for emulation is just terrible, couldnt play anything with the crap joystick and d-pad
Well to be honest the controls on the GP2X are pretty crap too, unless you actually mod in a D-Pad...

freddykreuger666 said:
who cares about psx emulation, its not made for pick up and play gaming, i got it all on me laptop anyways
I do. The point is the PSP is far superior in PSX emulation, it can even emulate N64. Super Smash Bros on N64 gets about 30-40fps with the new release. And that is nice that you have it on your laptop, but it's not exactly as portable as a GP2X or PSP is it, which is pretty much the point of the 2X, portable emulation...

Oh and lol internet fight

lubidog said:
Jackd said:
David Beoulve said:
anthropology (my Latin wife's major)

Wait you have a Latin wife??? you've never mentioned that before.
*giggle*
He he he he I've mentioned this like, lots of times. She calls me her crazy white guy, or crazy American sometimes, in Spanish.

Un guero loco. Hah! She just called me that. But I asked her to so I could write it. ;)

norm said:
why do so many of you belive the psp is kicking the 2x's ass WHY!!! the 2x is so so so so much betta than the psp in every way (except px1 emulation, but who cares? just buy a psx or use your ps2 or better just use your pc/mac nd %@!£ sony, i hope they burn the stupid non HB supporting b!£^&$ds)
I feel this post is the perfect response to the whole debate I have unwisely enmeshed myself in. It is, in fact, a great parody of the post I was originally responding to (although I realize it was intended to mock me).

Through all the noise and insult in the forum (I did not begin the bullying, I was just responding in kind), there has been no attempt at all to actually prove any statement. Even the Great and Powerful exophase continues to simply STATE what "is so", but offers no technical evidence. From a coder, in a forum? Highly irregular. I read his blog. It appears that even he is in the midst of uncertainty over the whole gpSP issue.

Everyone loves to repeat how much bigger the PSP's CPU is, but in twenty other threads in this and other forums, we will read how CPU size is not the deciding factor in deciding system performance. But that still does not deter anyone from repeating the mantra.

I thought this thread was ging to be a debate on the overall preferability between the two systems, taking into consideration all sorts of features and ideas (there was a flash of that just before my most recent post, quite nice to read actually). What I did find was some kind of weird, dominant/submissive S&M relationship between the psp-extolling GP2X bashers and self-hating GP2X lovers. A stranger pissing into the wind of the wild western town, indeed.

I'll just excuse myself from this (by many, but not all posters) furtive and frustrated ideological debate. I feel kind of dirty, like I stumbled into someone's love dungeon. Oh well, carry on, and have fun slicing this post to ribbons as well, as you are all wont to do. I'll look elsewhere for objective facts and informed opinions regarding the capabilities of the PSP's emulation vs. its competitors. Oh, yes, I know, I know, "the PSP has a bigger procesor! All its emus perform better" and all that.

Gone!

And I say Gayfarmer999 for Guru status! I can't wait to play his latest EMU!

David Beoulve said:
lubidog said:
Jackd said:
David Beoulve said:
anthropology (my Latin wife's major)

Wait you have a Latin wife??? you've never mentioned that before.
*giggle*
He he he he I've mentioned this like, lots of times. She calls me her crazy white guy, or crazy American sometimes, in Spanish.

Un guero loco. Hah! She just called me that. But I asked her to so I could write it. ;)

No offense (I'm not flaming you or anything), but I'd really love to know why you always feel the need to mention that she's Latin. It's like, you go out of your way to thow in that word. I'm just curious, that's all.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
No offense (I'm not flaming you or anything), but I'd really love to know why you always feel the need to mention that she's Latin. It's like, you go out of your way to thow in that word. I'm just curious, that's all.
Ya know what, me too. It's almost like you want some sort of special acknowledgment or kudos for it.

Remember how Bast would go on about his missus?

I miss Bast...

Vollgasasi said:
freddy: the psp has a sleep function. you press the pause button ingame, hit the off switch on the psp and it goes to sleep mode. you can later resume exactly where you left off. it's a great feature which the gp2x is lacking.
Well, there's always GP2X Energy Saver, which I use, and it works just fine... :)

It probably even works the same as the PSP's sleep mode, turn down the CPU clock(s), shut off the screen and sound, ect..

gamefan999 said:
Even the Great and Powerful exophase continues to simply STATE what "is so", but offers no technical evidence. From a coder, in a forum? Highly irregular. I read his blog. It appears that even he is in the midst of uncertainty over the whole gpSP issue.
I've argued this with him before, just give up, you won't win. I'm sure he knows a lot more about it than you do. It's all well and good that you moan about him not presenting facts, but where have you?

Vollgasasi said:
widescreen is just better for 3d gaming. i have a widescreen notebook and games like half-life 2 and others just look far better with that added field of view. it's the way to go for future devices.
You don't necessarily get any added field of view just because something is widescreen. Did you ever think that maybe widescreen is just 4:3 with the top and bottom cut off? It could be, and that what it is on the PSP. Standard H-VGA is 480x320. The PSP screen is that with the vertical resolution REDUCED to 272 so you are *missing* resolution to get that aspect. It also a crap format for handhelds as it just makes them longer. The only advantage for 16:9 is the screen edges fit movies better. For 3D gaming it is meaningless either way and does not make the PSP any better for gaming.

Exophase said:
Is there any chance in the future that the gap could narrow a bit in this area, or is the current version the final GP2X version? :ph34r:

Exophase 1337 said:
Doesn't the 2X pretty much have fullspeed GBA emulation now? How is the PSP better then? Better compatibility?

lubidog said:
And I say Gayfarmer999 for Guru status! I can't wait to play his latest EMU!

Oh good one. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back