Psp Vs Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gamefan999 said:
Goddamn, fellas, who're the fanboys here? You are all gangbanging on me so badly, while "ferociously" supporting each other, I think you all protest a bit too much.

I never "dismissed an entire console"; I never tried to "prove for the shittyness of PSP's PSX emulator"; I never claimed PSX4GP2X has "better compatibility".

Let me go back a bit, to the post I originally responded to:

Anhaedra said:
Yeah it seems the PSP is pretty much kicking the GP2X's ass. Oh well, it can't really be helped since there are so many more people devving for the PSP. :( The GP2X does do a better job at some things, like SNES emulation where the screen aspect ratio just looks better though...
Ok, emphasis added to the above quote. You see, the original post was in response to emulation, not commercial games. The PSP's official PS1 gameplay better damn well be flawless, number one because I paid for it, and number two because if Sony can't make a current system backwards compatible with a twenty-year old system, they have some serious problems (PS3-cough-COUGH!).

You see, simple-minded fanboys, you cannot compare the GP2X's PS1 gameplay to the PSP's PS1 "offficial", commercial gameplay, because then you have stoped talking about emulation, and you've started comparing commercial platforms with homebrew/emulation, which are in a whole different league. So, it's more than fair to make comparisons to the homebrew PS1 emulators I mentioned, capice?

And, if it even needs to be mentioned, the GP2X has no commercial games available for it. So no comparisons can even be made there. We are always discussing emulation/homebrew when we compare these two systems. Get it? Makes sense?

Otherwise, we could just skip over the PS1 gameplay question entirely and go right to PSP commercial games. "Hey, PSP plays 'Rainbow 6: Las Vegas', you can't play that on your GP2X! That means the PSP kicks the GP2X's ass! Har!"

Ok, original fanboys? Got it now? Back on topic: demonstrate to me how the PSP surpasses the GP2X in terms of emulation, or shut up and stop ejaculating at the mouth. (...and you should leave out any mention of commercially available gameplay, if you didn't understand my point about that already).

What a weak defense. You were wrong about the PS1 emulator, why don't you just admit it instead of pretending that you intentionally chose the enthusiast developed one over the Sony one? It doesn't matter if you normally have to pay for Sony's PS1 games; they still develop the PS1 emulator for free, and it's been exploited so it can be used freely. Just because it is commercially developed doesn't put it out of league for comparison. An emulator is an emulator, and although Sony does have access to more documentation on both platforms that doesn't give them nearly as much of a benefit as you think. In fact, from what people have uncovered by looking at Pops I don't think that it does anything that enthusiasts couldn't have done on their own, given proper effort. Yes, the PS1 emulator was developed by Sony, but in practice its usage is exactly the same as any other emulator for either platform, so why don't you stop hinging on that technicality.

I don't think you like the fact (nor will you admit) that PSP is better suited to PS1 emulation than GP2X, and the fact that it's MIPS based is only a minor reason why. What you're going to have to come to terms with is the fact that the PSP is a more powerful platform than the GP2X, and the reason why a number of GP2X emulators are superior than their PSP counterparts isn't because GP2X is an inherently superior platform, but because more effort was put into making them. Most likely because emulation is the number one thing anyone uses a GP2X for, so it has to get more attention to even survive. Whoever said PSP has more homebrew devs is just wrong, and it even more severely lacks actual talent and experience in the development pool, compared to the GP2X scene.

BTW, the GP2X DOES have two commercial games available for it, with others on their way (maybe?).

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
... and the reason why a number of GP2X emulators are superior than their PSP counterparts isn't because GP2X is an inherently superior platform, but because more effort was put into making them. Most likely because emulation is the number one thing anyone uses a GP2X for, so it has to get more attention to even survive. Whoever said PSP has more homebrew devs is just wrong, and it even more severely lacks actual talent and experience in the development pool, compared to the GP2X scene.
That is the part that freaks me out. The PSP has sold MILLIONS of units compared to a paltry 15,000 plus for the GP2X (what ever the actual number is is likely way under 50,000 units). That number is a rounding error for the number of PSPs sold.

Now if all emu devs were like me and disliked the scaling, stretching, filter blurring and ghosting, there would be almost no PSP emus. Good thing for the PSP scene they are not :p

I would have thought the PSP would have perfect emulation of everything possible by now considering the number of units floating around. Strange really.

In my opinion the most important part of the PSP vs GP2X discussion doesn't get the attention it deserves.

PSP vs GP2X = closed vs open

Hackers did open the PSP a bit, but if there is a console that is open by design I will always choose that. Buying the GP2X is saying to the big companies that we want to install wathever we want on our device and want to fully exploit its possibities without being hindered by vendor protections.

I will never buy a (fully) closed piece of hardware like the PSP, maybe second hand, but even that is very unlikely.

I do also think it's fair to give credit to all devs on every piece of hardware that releases free software. Without efforts on other systems the GP2X wouldn't have this amount of emulators and homebrew. So if a good piece of software is made for the psp, be glad, maybe it will be ported one day to the gp2x or the gp3x. There are even a couple of great devs like Exophase and zx-81 that came from the psp homebrew scene to help the gp2x scene.

Envy is not a good emotion, just be happy with the great toy we have and appreciate the devs that make it happen.

Wise words b.o.b wise words.

I would like to add that although I do love my gp2x, I aint no fan boy. I would never buy another sony product though, they just suck as a company, I reckon they suck a little bit more than gamepark holdings, but we all know they suck too :p

DaveC said:
I would have thought the PSP would have perfect emulation of everything possible by now considering the number of units floating around. Strange really.

Actually I've wondered that myself.

Pulling theories out of my rear end I'd propose:
  1. Sony's War on their own Fans (aka homebrew scene).
  2. Lack of open source.
The biggest thing for me is Sony's War Against the Homebrew Scene. That's actually what drove me to do more research and find the GP2X.

Now my family has one 280MHz capable GP2X, two NDS Lite's (black & pink), but I have no plans on getting a PSP. I'm no fanboi, I buy Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, going back a ways, Atari. Brand never matters to me as much as what the product does (hence my love affair with the Wii, despite there being no games I can play by myself that I like).

Sony's philosophy is what has killed the PSP for me as much as Microsoft's XBOX Live strategy: with Sony it's proprietary memory cards, UMD format, and with Microsoft it's the XBOX Live strategy of "Real gamers don't know when to not spend money." Such as EA's Godfather on the 360 - "Lets make them pay for cheatcodes which are free on other systems."

To digress a bit, but you might see how this applies...
Where the PS3 and XBOX 360 Failed
The real failure of the XBOX 360 and the PS3 are the same: Sony and Microsoft both made the console that their fanbase said they wanted. They assumed that people would answer "within reason" or "within how much they would be willing to pay for what they say they want."

Of course, people don't do that. The first rule of usability is "don't listen to users." (Instead, watch what they do.)

Nintendo came along and said "Well, our research says they'll spend $250. What can we cram into that?"

The PSP is what everyone said they wanted - a GameBoy Advance that plays 3d games. Then the NDS comes out with less power and trumps it - because it lets you do something new, to interact in a new way. The Wii is essentially the same. It's called "Blue Ocean" strategy in business leet speak.

GP2X versus PSP
GP2X versus PSP? Not truly comparable, because the GP2X is such a niche device. If you want a handheld that does non-3d emulation, you get a GP2X. You are already "not normal" for even wanting emulation, let alone open source.

If you could only get one, as always, the question boils down to "What kind of games do you want to play, and how much can you pay for them?"

gamefan999 said:
Goddamn, fellas, who're the fanboys here? You are all gangbanging on me so badly, while "ferociously" supporting each other, I think you all protest a bit too much.
Sigged, :lol: :lol: :lol:

gamefan999 said:
Oh well, twelve, twenty, whose counting? Time will be more relative to you too when you get old enough. Thanks for the minor correction, though. I see you have no problems with the rest of my (defensively) abusive rant, then? ;^)
Well, nothing you said bothered me. But then, I like to stay neutral on these arguments.

OMars said:
gamefan999 said:
Sigged, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, thanks! Too much honor...

Anyway, I appreciate all the non-fanboi's coming to my rescue. You all have made lots of great points about this debate. I am particulary partial to the "proprietary" issue. I think Sony is beyond assinine in their will-to-power to create a "Sony World®". There is nothing they will make that they won't put their protective stamp on.

Consider this anecdote. I had a Mini-Disc player ages ago, and all along the discussion was, Hey, wouldn't this unit make a great data storage platform? And the answer was, Oh, no, it's designed for music only, stop asking for what can never be. Well, what happened? What a surprise! Too many years later, Sony admits to the public, Oh yes, it's just a data-storage device, the compresion codec is software-derivative, not built into the minidisc platform. So you actually can use it as data storage. Would you like to do that now, now??? We'll even give you USB access, and blah blah blah.

Just think, minidisc was extremely hot all over Europe and Asia in the very late 80's and early 90's. What would the whole music/PC/data landscape look like if Sony had allowed non-proprietary access to such a cool unit? But no. Then CD-burners became dirt cheap, and Sony was left holding their memory sticks (not their 4Gb SD cards ar $50 US a pop).

Sony is a brilliant corporation run by fools. And I still say emulation on the PSP is inferior, and I'm still waiting for statistics thta disprove that.

And finally...
Exophase said:
What a weak defense. You were wrong about the PS1 emulator, why don't you just admit it instead of pretending that you intentionally chose the enthusiast developed one over the Sony one? It doesn't matter if you normally have to pay for Sony's PS1 games; they still develop the PS1 emulator for free, and it's been exploited so it can be used freely. Just because it is commercially developed doesn't put it out of league for comparison. An emulator is an emulator, and although Sony does have access to more documentation on both platforms that doesn't give them nearly as much of a benefit as you think. In fact, from what people have uncovered by looking at Pops I don't think that it does anything that enthusiasts couldn't have done on their own, given proper effort. Yes, the PS1 emulator was developed by Sony, but in practice its usage is exactly the same as any other emulator for either platform, so why don't you stop hinging on that technicality.
Let's all just read this again, to see how fabulously absurd it is. "Mega-billionaire corporation redeveloping their own patented software/hardware is really just emulation equivalent to all the basement-PC hacker-boyz in action."

Right.

You seem to be a bit too defensive to me. At the end of the day your mind is clearly made up, most other people's minds are already made up and nobody is going to change their mind without hard facts (of which there are very few).

Oh Gamerfan999, calm down and stop taking yourself too seriously! Sony, love them or hate them are not fools! They have come quite far with their business before they have come to you for advice...

They just want to make money. Why not?

The fact is that some EMUs run better on the PSP, and some on the GP2x. I have all handhelds and use them all for different things at different times. If I was to recommend one, it would depend on what the user wanted! We have great handhelds and great games for them! Let's be happy about that and chose wisely!

And your last sentence? I have no idea what you are rabbiting on about! The psx on the PSP is superb. You just read the wrong article and quoted without the full facts! Move on, you are ruining this debate. We aren't, on the whole fanboys here. We criticize our GP2x easily enough when we have to. But if you want to know which system emulates different platforms better, but won't accept the word of people who really know (ie.exophase-he should really, really know...!) then you can either keep quiet or try all systems out for yourself!

Don't be ridiculous. How can you "ruin a debate" by participating in it and raising questions? Didn't you see how many significant and interesting points were raised after my comment? People who try to stifle voices are more often the ones who ruin debate, in my view.

As to exophase, he says this: "I don't think you like the fact (nor will you admit) that PSP is better suited to PS1 emulation than GP2X."

What nonsense! He is totally making conjecture as to what I like or do not like. And I have already stated that the PSP plays PS1 games better than the GP2x - "it better had", is what I recall writing.

He, however, is unwilling to look at the link to the private, non-commercial PS1 emulator I posted, and consider the 12 playable games out of the over 200 listed. What does that weakly performing emu have to do with the commercial releases of playable PS1 games by Sony? - nothing, I argue. That was what I was "rabbitting on about" (?!) in my last comment. (And to exophase, if it is so easy to create a homebrew PS1 emu, why hasn't it been done by the homebrewers???)

I'll say it again - can you provide proof as to the superiority of the emu scene on the PSP versus the GP2X? It's a simple question, readily defendable by an accounting of number of systems emulated, and the good performance of those emus.

When I look here http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5 I see 97 files, which indicates that there is some number slightly less than that of working emulators. How is that worse than emulation on the PSP?

I'm not ruining debate, or off-topic, or misquoting anything. If you'd like to shut me up, provide some answers to those questions. Until then, the debate remains open, and I think, quite defensible towards the GP2X as more than holding its own against the PSP.

(And I do think it's really silly to expect the Sony Playstation Portable to do much worse than the Gamepark GP2X in playing Sony Playstation One games. I mean duh. Why is that even part of the debate? That has not been my singular point, like you and so many others seem to wish it was.)

Long live debate; long live my voice; put up or shut up.

gamefan999 said:
Don't be ridiculous. How can you "ruin a debate" by participating in it and raising questions? Didn't you see how many significant and interesting points were raised after my comment? People who try to stifle voices are more often the ones who ruin debate, in my view.

As to exophase, he says this: "I don't think you like the fact (nor will you admit) that PSP is better suited to PS1 emulation than GP2X."

What nonsense! He is totally making conjecture as to what I like or do not like. And I have already stated that the PSP plays PS1 games better than the GP2x - "it better had", is what I recall writing.

He, however, is unwilling to look at the link to the private, non-commercial PS1 emulator I posted, and consider the 12 playable games out of the over 200 listed. What does that weakly performing emu have to do with the commercial releases of playable PS1 games by Sony? - nothing, I argue. That was what I was "rabbitting on about" (?!) in my last comment. (And to exophase, if it is so easy to create a homebrew PS1 emu, why hasn't it been done by the homebrewers???)

I'll say it again - can you provide proof as to the superiority of the emu scene on the PSP versus the GP2X? It's a simple question, readily defendable by an accounting of number of systems emulated, and the good performance of those emus.

When I look here http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5 I see 97 files, which indicates that there is some number slightly less than that of working emulators. How is that worse than emulation on the PSP?

I'm not ruining debate, or off-topic, or misquoting anything. If you'd like to shut me up, provide some answers to those questions. Until then, the debate remains open, and I think, quite defensible towards the GP2X as more than holding its own against the PSP.

(And I do think it's really silly to expect the Sony Playstation Portable to do much worse than the Gamepark GP2X in playing Sony Playstation One games. I mean duh. Why is that even part of the debate? That has not been my singular point, like you and so many others seem to wish it was.)

Well, the Sony PSP emulator has long been haxxored to run any converted ISO. I'm not saying you're right, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I can run my Castlevania SOTN rip through an app, toss it onto my memory stick and play it fullspeed.

psp pretty much beats gp2x in every way
and still.. we browse the gp2x forums for the next great release after the next, all packaged up with the love and care that makes the gp2x great, does everything i want and psp controls for emulation is just terrible, couldnt play anything with the crap joystick and d-pad
and thats the most important feature to be honest
who cares about psx emulation, its not made for pick up and play gaming, i got it all on me laptop anyways
not forgetting the style of the gp2x, people are like, wtf is that? not just .. nice u got psp, congratz, i got one too, wanna have some psp sex?

gp2x forever

I have the PSP and have played with emus for it. It has some nice ones. If the PSP had a 4:3 screen with either 320 x 240 or 640 x 480 and didn't ghost like mad I would have probably binned my GP2X along time ago. But it doesn't, I hate that PSP screen for emus and that will never change no matter how fast or accurate the emus get. It is otherwise a nice piece of kit.

freddykreuger666 said:
nice u got psp, congratz, i got one too, wanna have some psp sex?
that's what sold me on the psp, that and the annoying analog nubbin...tried the snes emu last night on it, the one that uses ME, with chrono trigger, and i have to say i think pocketsnes and squidgesnes are both better. will try psx soon though. the ghosting is at least as bad as everyone says. i had to see it with my own eyes to believe it. what were the thinking? gph's design mistakes i can forgive, and i do it gladly. but sony should have been swapping those lava lamps for real lcds instead of writing rootkits.

nothing wrong with having a 3d metal gear game on the go, though. i just refuse to buy any sony stuff unless it's used. B)

gamefan999 said:
Let's all just read this again, to see how fabulously absurd it is. "Mega-billionaire corporation redeveloping their own patented software/hardware is really just emulation equivalent to all the basement-PC hacker-boyz in action."

Right.
Yes, it's absolutely right, and do you want to know why? Because Sony is in fact using the same hardware that all PSP devs are. Not only that, but PS1 information has been common knowledge for years - how do you think that we have such developed PS1 emulators for PC now? While Sony does have access to information about the PSP that we don't know about, all evidence indicates that they aren't using this in their PS1 emulator (and about the only thing there that they could be using is the VME, and this would only help in a small way anyway).

I hate to break it to you, but highly experienced enthusiast emulator authors could do the exact same thing as Sony. You can argue with me on this but you wouldn't be right. The problem is that such programmers who both have the time and energy to contribute to such a project and are interested in PSP in the first place are practically non-existant.

gamefan999 said:
What I said is that PSP is better suited for it, and NOT because it's made by Sony, and not because Sony designed the PSP to be a better PS1 emulator. It's because PSP is just, in general, superior hardware.

gamefan999 said:
He, however, is unwilling to look at the link to the private, non-commercial PS1 emulator I posted, and consider the 12 playable games out of the over 200 listed.
Who cares about this emulator? It's a port with almost no real optimization to be ran on a PSP, it's that simple. It is IRRELEVANT. Maybe you don't understand that from the user's point of view the Sony PS1 emulator is the same as any other emulator. You put games on the PSP and it runs it.

gamefan999 said:
What does that weakly performing emu have to do with the commercial releases of playable PS1 games by Sony? - nothing, I argue.
It has nothing to do with ANYTHING. I don't even know why you keep bringing it up. You'd may as well bring up old ports of VBA for PSP and GP2X while you're at it.

gamefan999 said:
Who are you talking to? Not me I hope...

It's a really stupid question though. Why? Because PSP has superior emulation for some platforms and GP2X has superior emulation for other platforms. Unless you think you can quantify how important emulation for a particular platform is (and objectively deny that PS1 emulation is say, much more significant than I don't know, ZX Spectrum) then just shut up.

gamefan999 said:
buuhh i counted the number of files in an archive to prove an argument lozlz

Would you get real?

gamefan999 said:
And why is it silly? Because PSP has better hardware than GP2X. Not because both are made by Sony. If you think this you're ignorant, it's that simple.

The bottom line is, or at least, the point I'm trying to make, is that PSP has the potential to have superior emulators than GP2X in every way, save for any screen resolution/quality/control issues or complaints - I'm talking about ability to emulate the games accurately and at full speed. Assuming you can run homebrew on the PSP in the first place, otherwise this is moot.

My entire previous post was to illustrate the fact that GP2X only has better emulators at all because developers. Whether or not you understood this, I have no idea because you dismissed everything I said as "absurd."

b._.o._.b said:
In my opinion the most important part of the PSP vs GP2X discussion doesn't get the attention it deserves.

PSP vs GP2X = closed vs open

Exactly. That was one of the main reasons which drove me to purchase a GP2X over another hand-held.

gamefan999 said:

Great! That's us told then!

I have no idea what you are trying to say. But, please, keep saying it!

why do so many of you belive the psp is kicking the 2x's ass WHY!!! the 2x is so so so so much betta than the psp in every way (except px1 emulation, but who cares? just buy a psx or use your ps2 or better just use your pc/mac nd %@!£ sony, i hope they burn the stupid non HB supporting b!£^&$ds)

*takes a bow*

norm said:
except px1 emulation, but who cares? just buy a psx or use your ps2 or better just use your pc/mac
Now take this "argument" and repeat it for every other emulator.

BTW, PSP has better GBA emulation too -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back